avk123

Is It "unhealthy" To Be Materialistic ?

19 posts in this topic

Good day fam,

I have been raised by my parents to be a minimalism person, however I dont really see the pleasures that come it as when I enter into materialistic societies I see that the rate of pleasure so much higher in being materialistic. 

Now from my own personal knowledge, I know that everything has a cost (or so I think) and thus being minimalist is basically the best way to life a "healthy" life but really is it ?

There's nothing unhealthy about it, but it will cause you more suffering. 

[insert quote here]

@avk123 You've got to make a distinction between pleasure and contentment. Pleasure is temporary, and exists relative to pain. People chase pleasure in hopes it will bring them lasting fulfillment, but it never does.

Being minimalist by itself doesn't guarantee contentment though. If you've got neuroses, it's gonna suck to be you. It's just that minimalism allows you to focus on pursuits bringing long-term fulfillment, those being consciousness work and to a lesser degree life purpose, while not being distracted by all the pleasures material things bring you.

20 hours ago, avk123 said:

Good day fam,

I have been raised by my parents to be a minimalism person, however I dont really see the pleasures that come it as when I enter into materialistic societies I see that the rate of pleasure so much higher in being materialistic. 

Now from my own personal knowledge, I know that everything has a cost (or so I think) and thus being minimalist is basically the best way to life a "healthy" life but really is it ?

I'm just going to be straight and honest with you. 

Pleasure is not happiness. It's easy to be convinced that what you see in western society is fulfilled nations who are full of life but look closer. Most people are absolutely miserable nomatter how much money they have in the bank account or how many people they are having sex with.

All I will say is I recommend you looking deeper into this assumption you have made. Research into the lives of the people you claim to be living in abundance and find out every detail of their life you can uncover. Even the little things like how well they handle arguments and the so called bad moments of life.

What you may begin to realise is this lifestyle causes suffering in very subtle ways that often go overlooked.

Edited by Live Life Liam

10 hours ago, David1 said:

@avk123 Listen and learn my friend.

Terrance McKenna knows his shit. I enjoy his stuff even though I have to admit I've never took psychedelics before haha.

20 hours ago, avk123 said:

I enter into materialistic societies I see that the rate of pleasure so much higher in being materialistic. 

Spiritualism is a higher stage than materialism; materialism functions as a stepping-stone. materialism and spiritualism are not contraries; materialism paves the way for spiritualism.  first step is materialism. 

@avk123 The question is more, is it a addiction? and after getting set material for how long are you happy? and thus was it worth it and does it give you fullfilment?

Then again, if i win the lotery im not going to refuse the prize ;).

On 7-11-2016 at 10:49 AM, David1 said:

Money doesn't buy pleasure.

It might to a certain extent, right? I think there are studies that say that people are more happy when they hit a certain threshold of money.

It's only pleasure for a very short amount of time. After that you want more and more of that feeling. That's how society works today.

To transcend means to include. I think to little people are aware of that. 

There's nothing wrong with making money and buying stuff. It's just that, when you use this to escape from the both empty and full nature of your own being, you tend to want to make more money and buy more and better stuff, and you finish unfulfilled.

You could actually make money, buy stuff, and be happy. But you have to come at peace with Truth. 

3 hours ago, JustinS said:

@avk123 haha you just have to find that out for yourself. 

Speaking frankly, Im a collector of video games and action figures, and everytime I leave my premesis I always feel "scared" I would come back and find them stolen / damaged / taken away etc...

Yes the more materials you have the more attachment you have, and the less you have the more mundane you become to yourself. 

I guess you have to find the equilibrium between having and letting go. 

For each person its different. 

I look at myself and all the quick easy pleasure that I've seeked in my life, all through material things. And yet after 21 years I've had a lot of emotional problems and here I am meditating, trying to detach from the mind and find true contentment. 

For me materialism works in the short term but to be honest in most of the stuff I've done in life I've seeked happiness. The item itself is secondary. Hence once the initial boost wears off im back to looking again.

It's unhealthy if you rely on material objects for happiness. Sends you on a never ending chase. 

Edited by RossE

Founder of The Great Updraft: Articles, Courses + More

www.thegreatupraft.com

The Universe thrives in balance. You are the universal energy aware of itself.

Find balance and you shall thrive :)

B R E A T H E

Well.. i don't want to repeat but yeah the more things you're attached to the more you're suceptible to suffer. It doesn't only applies to material things it also goes towards your psichology.

I've been by most of this year on a journey of letting go. Actually it was fun, i started getting rid of all the unnecesary things i had on my room (and life) and my friends said to me all the time that if i was planning to suicide or what (i got rid of A LOT of things) jajajaja but actually i just found that although those things are nice and were good memories it was all in the past and most of those things were not relevant to my life now and just a way of manifestating my ego and my NEED to hold my past and that which i "built" although i knew i wouldnt need it anymore.

At one point of my life i got to the realization that "it's better to travel light", first were the books, then clothing.. then other things like my gaming pc and my unused electric guitar.. but then it started shifting towards more deep things like pleasing other people, my relationship with money, my relationship with friends, family and romantic partners... and then it was towards just changing my life and accepting that yeah, life changes; i'll say no more as that is the moment that i am now :)

If i could say anything is that.. yeah, it's better to travel light

You can want, but don't expect happiness or fulfillment from getting what you want.

You can have, but don't attach yourself to or worship these objects.

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki