Peak

What To Do When No One Else Does Personal Development

12 posts in this topic

So it seems, that nobody does complete personal development at my school. And by complete I mean focusing everything holistically. Exercising, meditating, self improvement work on the mind, hobbies, living each day to the max( using time wisely.) 

Now there are people who go to the gym and eat healthy. But they watch tv, waste time with people that are negative, listen to awful mainstream music( subjective opinion).  

It seems like the problem is that i'm not a good conversationalist. 

Edited by Peak

You spike their food with psychede- just kidding. 

The 'problem' ultimately is you still desire fulfillment from the outside world, which also makes you a 'bad conversationalist' because that's just fear holding you back as well, fear to mess up, fear to lose respect etc, which just comes from trying to make it work 'out there'. 

Yeah, enlightenment is always the answer. 

@Peak Welcome to the 21st century, human. ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I get you man. Literally no one does PD where I live. And those who do are not serious about it. They are only into the flashy LOA bullshit and false spirituality. 

But that is why this forum was created. It was created so people like you and me can connect regardless of location. By the way, personal development in itself is personal. It is a journey you go on. 

You do not need other people on this journey. Sometimes, other people can be a major distraction to your growth if they distract you from the bigger picture. Think about what this point means in the context of your life. 

Remember that you have a lot to learn as well. Learn from their mistakes as well and see where you do them yourself. Also if you want to still socialize try to not be so picky with smaller things. Leo's video on projection might help with that although you may have already watched it.

@Peak Dont fall into the spiritual ego - I'm better because I do personal development trap. Makes it harder for you to connect with the people around you. 

@Peak This is the same issue that anyone with a particular hobby, interest, pursuit, or passion faces.  Don't expect everyone to have the same passions that you do.  Think about the bore who never shuts up about their stamp collection - do you think personal development nuts are any better?

The problem isn't personal development, and it's not about wanting to talk about it: it's about holistically engaging in conversation, so that you not only talk about what you want to talk about, but listen, engage, flow with what is going through the group, and if your interests align and are right to bring up, bring them up.

You're not their teacher, you're not their judge, you're not their guru, you're not their better, and you're not their window to a better world.  You're their peer, with a different knowledge and experience set.  Share, and allow sharing :)

Edited by Telepresent

1 hour ago, Telepresent said:

@Peak This is the same issue that anyone with a particular hobby, interest, pursuit, or passion faces.  Don't expect everyone to have the same passions that you do.  Think about the bore who never shuts up about their stamp collection - do you think personal development nuts are any worse?

The problem isn't personal development, and it's not about wanting to talk about it: it's about holistically engaging in conversation, so that you not only talk about what you want to talk about, but listen, engage, flow with what is going through the group, and if your interests align and are right to bring up, bring them up.

You're not their teacher, you're not their judge, you're not their guru, you're not their better, and you're not their window to a better world.  You're their peer, with a different knowledge and experience set.  Share, and allow sharing :)

I can strongly agree with this statement! I'm used to the frustration of my passions being misunderstood or judged as having limited interests. The truth is I have broad passions that intersect together and I want to discover more passions and explore passions more deeply. Instead of connecting with everyone and being a people pleaser, I focus on expressing my authenticity unapologetically by creating my own social circle by meeting people who love my passions as much as I do. I'm also having an upcoming Capstone presentation and a paper for my Monsters class where I'm focusing on expressing my passions for monsters. 

Edited by Zane

Truth is if you try to thrust anything upon people - particularly if it's significantly contradictory to their point of view - you're likely be be met with (at best) blockage, and (at worst) outright hostility.  Think about what brough most of us here: it probably wasn't someone else saying "I can see your life is fucked up, and this will fix it all!" (which would have made us very defensive).  It was much more likely a gradual realisation in ourselves that something wasn't right, and a search for something to help work that out, and for whatever reason Actualized.org - of all the hundreds of websites, books, videos, and products out there - resonated with us.

Throw these ideas, and particularly Leo (no offence!), down people's throats, and they'll likely take it as criticism and resist.  Help people to explore their own weak-points, and you may support them as they open themselves up.

On 11/4/2016 at 3:27 PM, Peak said:

So it seems, that nobody does complete personal development at my school. And by complete I mean focusing everything holistically. Exercising, meditating, self improvement work on the mind, hobbies, living each day to the max( using time wisely.) 

Now there are people who go to the gym and eat healthy. But they watch tv, waste time with people that are negative, listen to awful mainstream music( subjective opinion).  

It seems like the problem is that i'm not a good conversationalist. 

Have you ever considered becoming a Lawyer? Seriously dude, based off your posts, you'd be very good at it I think. Better than me.

You likely haven't met EVERYONE at your school yet. Your will meet more awakened people as you continue on your journey. Keep your senses open for signs from the universe, maybe a poster for a conscious workshop, or something...