Someone here

Existence is a mystery!

15 posts in this topic

Irreducible mystery. 

Why is there something rather than nothing? Nobody knows.

'all that I know is that I know nothing' - philosopher Socrates. 

Science can discover simpler and simpler primitives to explain complexity.. which has been already done to a remarkable extent. We know,.. with high degree of certainty, that the amazing and beautiful complexity of living things.. including the human brain.. is nothing more than physical processes governed by the laws of quantum theory and general relativity based upon the standard model of particle physics which have been working for billions of years. How did those primitives come to existence? We don't know. But maybe we will.. one day. However... the simpler primitives that will be discovered.. will still remain unexplained.

This is an uncomfortable situation.. we don't like to not understand.. So we fool ourselves into thinking we do.. as have been done for centuries for much simpler questions that we know the answer to today. Any attempt to philosophizing an answer to this question will be an attempt to fool ourselves. There is no way to determine whether a theory is correct unless it is falsifiable by physical evidence.. and there's no way any physical evidence will shade light on this question.

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

46 minutes ago, Someone here said:

including the human brain.. is nothing more than physical processes governed by the laws of quantum theory and general relativity based upon the standard model of particle physics which have been working for billions of years. How did those primitives come to existence? We don't know. But maybe we will.. one day. However... the simpler primitives that will be discovered.. will still remain unexplained.

Recognize that this is all part of the story which you dream up to ground your"self" in existence.

Billion years have never passed and nothing will ever be discovered. 

But it is indeed a mystery. ;) 

Edited by fridjonk

39 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

Recognize that this is all part of the story which you dream up to ground your"self" in existence.

Billion years have never passed and nothing will ever be discovered. 

Yeah well all that is relative stuff. Can't say for certain whether it happend or not. 

-Osho

@Someone here There isn't something rather than nothing, there is ONLY nothing, nothing ever got made, nothing was able to perceive, exist or be. Not even HOW, a how is too limiting, that's why it 's unlimited and infinite without needing a how... It is just THAT unbelievably empty that it inverts into infinity! 

8 hours ago, Max1993 said:

@Someone here There isn't something rather than nothing, there is ONLY nothing, nothing ever got made, nothing was able to perceive, exist or be. Not even HOW, a how is too limiting, that's why it 's unlimited and infinite without needing a how... It is just THAT unbelievably empty that it inverts into infinity! 

That explains nothing. 

Why can't we accept that it's a mystical phenomenon? 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

@Someone here It is infinitely mysterious, because nothing itself is plain and unmysterious, so the opposite is infinity and mystery! Infinity is the duality of nothing, we should be happy it is a bottomless pit, knowing something fully isn't as exiting. 

1 hour ago, Max1993 said:

we should be happy it is a bottomless pit, knowing something fully isn't as exiting. 

I find it uncomfortable. 

-Osho

32 minutes ago, Kalo said:

It's a mystery for the non-believers of God. 

Belief is a thought. 

-Osho

the logical mind cannot understand reality, it works on another frequency. but if you go beyond the mind you will see and it will be evident. There is only this, it is obvious and it cannot be otherwise. when the logical mind returns to dominate the memory is conceptualized and completely distorted. it is something that must be seen in real time. But maybe some minds can catch it. Leo always says that it's understandable

@Someone here who are you trying to convince? If you find it uncomfortable that existence is a mystery, perhaps try fully embracing that it's a mystery and be done with it... try to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. 

I agree that it's not generally useful to pretend to know things you don't know... remain skeptical of things you can't verify for yourself.  

Always keep in mind that the map is not the territory.  When someone tells you, 'it's raining cats and dogs!', don't be so foolish that you spend your time proving to others that there are not actually cats and dogs falling from the sky.  Some maps are better than others.. none are perfect, or they wouldn't be maps.. they would be the thing itself.

Philosophy is a language game.. a game of creating useful maps.  

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

Consciousness is absolute, meaning it has no opposite or alternative, so that's a false question 

No space, no time, nothing but you/this/here/now

On 4/4/2021 at 1:32 PM, fridjonk said:

̶R̶e̶c̶o̶g̶n̶i̶z̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶d̶r̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶"̶s̶e̶l̶f̶"̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶e̶x̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶c̶e̶.̶

Billion years have passed and lots of things have been discovered. 

But it is indeed a mystery. ;) 

Your attempt to sound deep while stating evidentially false & retarded things, then finishing with that boomer emoji, was really cringe. But I fixed it for you. :>. Am I not a cool guy?

Yes, old thread but I don't quite give a shit.

Edited by TrueEnlightened