Daphnedenninghoff23

Books On Enlightenment

9 posts in this topic

What are the best quality books to study regarding the topic of enlightenment and beyond?

I am currently studying " The book of not knowing" by Peter Ralston and "Lectures on the ten ox herding pictures" By Yamada Mumon. 

Thankyou in advance.

Essentially anything from Eckhart Tolle, Osho, J Krishnamurti, and Tony Parsons would be good. Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now is good for first starting out. ❤

How are you enjoying Peter Ralston's book? I have read it also... definitely not so much a beginners book ? but then again everyone's a little different

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@Daphnedenninghoff23Leo has a really great book list that's definitely worth the investment. I paid for it a few years ago and the books on enlightenment he recommends (and there are a lot) are all exceptional. 

Edited by Jonty

Ralston's Not Knowing & Pursuing Consciousness is the best single source, IMO, but other books will also help as you go deeper.  I'm really enjoying Ruper Spira's Presence series, but it requires a pretty solid foundation (via Leo videos, Not Knowing, and others) to really get the most out of.

I'd also really recommend listening to different people talk about enlightenment, as it will congeal it from different angles and perspectives.  Anna Brown is a fantastic female perspective, Frank Yang is another (who has really taken it allll the way through meditation, though his videos are strange).  Leo is the best source for putting it all together though and for integrating holistic understanding of the world with enlightenment implications.

Reading, videos, contemplation, mindfulness, meditation, and psychedelics are all really complementary to building understanding.  Do them all!  And remain patient, it is a long and intricate journey of discovery, wisdom, and love.

Anything by Ramaji & ananda Devi 

Eckhart Tolle's stuff is great for introduction to this work 

Anything by Rupert Spira & Francis Lucille 

I'd say stay away from Eastern Gurus due to translation issues that could confuse you until you have a grasp!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

What the best are for me will likely be different to what the best are for you. Regardless, a few that have influenced me greatly:

Letting Go by David Hawkins

Transcending the Levels of Consciousness by David Hawkins

Cosmic Consciousness by Richard Maurice Bucke

Being Infinite by Martin Ball

Autobiography of a Spiritually Incorrect Yogi by Osho

Freedom, Love and Aloneness by Osho

Exploring The World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge

The Gnostic Gospels

The Bible

Out of Your Mind by Alan Watts

Direct Truth by Kapil Gupta

Edited by Brandon Nankivell

@Daphnedenninghoff23 The religion of tomorrow by Ken Wilber. It’s a pretty gargantuan book, but it really ties together everything related to spirituality.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Also agree with starting with Eckhart Tolle

I Am That, Nisargadatta Maharaj is incredible but you must learn some religious vocabulary to understand parts of it.

Anything Rupert Spira. 

Most importantly anything that you really resonate with or are excited about reading. Some of the strangest books and even novels that aren't necessarily directly written about enlightenment can change your life and cause shifts, cause the teacher appears when the student is ready. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost