Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gili Trawangan

Should I go back to drinking coffee?

12 posts in this topic

So I gave up coffee about six weeks ago. The only reason I got the nerve to give it up was because of doing one of those nine-day cleanses (no caffeine was allowed). So I went through the withdrawals, which together with the withdrawals from the cleanse were pretty terrible: headaches, then body aches, super low energy, etc. It was extremely difficult to continue to work while going through that. In the end I made it and now regular work is not a problem anymore.

The problem is that even six weeks later there is still no drive. I feel fine most of the time, but there's just no drive to work on my goals (aside from regular work), I'm just going through the motions. I go to work, I wrestle with the thought that I should be doing something productive with the rest of my time, but the energy just isn't there.

I know that lifestyle is part of the problem, but that can't be helped right now. I live in a neighborhood where walking is extremely unpleasant, so I work out two or three times a week and the rest is a sedentary lifestyle. But assuming that this can't be changed for the time being, should I go back to drinking coffee? Somehow, on coffee at least I get stuff done. There's that jolt of energy that, aside from pleasant, helps to focus and do the things that I should be doing. And, quite frankly, I think I'm happier when I'm drinking coffee.

Am I missing something here? It feels like going back to coffee is the best decision right now, I can't go on like this forever, it's like I'm numb... and the only reason I haven't gone back to coffee yet is because the withdrawals are still present in the back of the mind... I wouldn't want to go through them again.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

Only if you are able to drink only one in the morning. Seriously drinking more cups in your day is not good for you. I used to drink alot of coffee in work but i regret it. It's still a drug if you cannot control it. 

@Gili Trawangan Coffee is what everyone in society uses for fake motivation, to cover up the fact that they are not really doing what they are supposed to be doing with their lives. Following a true passion doesn't need chemical stimulation.

You just took a red pill.

Not too late to go back into the matrix though... those virtual steaks are juicy aren't they ;)

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

1 hour ago, BlackMaze said:

Only if you are able to drink only one in the morning. Seriously drinking more cups in your day is not good for you. I used to drink alot of coffee in work but i regret it. It's still a drug if you cannot control it. 

@BlackMaze That's reasonable, I might just go back to one a day. I was on two a day for many years.

52 minutes ago, flowboy said:

@Gili Trawangan Coffee is what everyone in society uses for fake motivation, to cover up the fact that they are not really doing what they are supposed to be doing with their lives. Following a true passion doesn't need chemical stimulation.

You just took a red pill.

Not too late to go back into the matrix though... those virtual steaks are juicy aren't they ;)

@flowboy I understand what you're saying and it does make sense, theoretically. But I don't think that's what it is. The stuff I've been procrastinating on is as close to "life purpose" as it gets. I am passionate about it, and have been for this whole year. But something has happened, I must have burnt out, and now I'm just avoiding the work, and not drinking coffee isn't helping. I know that coffee is an artificial motivator, but if that's all I have access to right now?... I might just have to go for those steaks :P

@Gili Trawangan  6 weeks is simply not long enough. By far.

I didn't know this when I quit coffee in July this year. After right about 6 weeks, I still didn't give a shit about the things I used to love - amongst other things, my programming gig. I panicked and went back.

Then I discovered /r/decaf and read stories of multiple people saying it took them 40, 70 or even 90 days to really be better than before, and feel like the best part of a caffeine high without the side effects, but all day long, followed by perfect sleep.

So I decided to bite down and strap in for the long haul. I made a spreadsheet for 90 days (actually 100 days - I switched to tea for the first 10, to ease into it) and gave myself a 100 day quitting caffeine challenge.

It was hard but I didn't miss a day.

And yes, all your superpowers and genuine interests do come back stronger. The fake ones fall away. It may surprise you.

I did have to experiment and change my eating pattern to maintain my energy and focus, too - the stress of adrenaline spikes that caffeine causes let you cover up any suboptimal eating patterns. In my case I had to eat some protein in the morning, mostly vegetables for lunch and all the carbs at the end of the day, or I'd get sleepy. Just an example, everyone is different. But expect to have to do some experimentation in this area.

Perhaps this is a better answer for you :)

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

12 minutes ago, flowboy said:

@Gili Trawangan  6 weeks is simply not long enough. By far.

I didn't know this when I quit coffee in July this year. After right about 6 weeks, I still didn't give a shit about the things I used to love - amongst other things, my programming gig. I panicked and went back.

Then I discovered /r/decaf and read stories of multiple people saying it took them 40, 70 or even 90 days to really be better than before, and feel like the best part of a caffeine high without the side effects, but all day long, followed by perfect sleep.

So I decided to bite down and strap in for the long haul. I made a spreadsheet for 90 days (actually 100 days - I switched to tea for the first 10, to ease into it) and gave myself a 100 day quitting caffeine challenge.

It was hard but I didn't miss a day.

And yes, all your superpowers and genuine interests do come back stronger. The fake ones fall away. It may surprise you.

I did have to experiment and change my eating pattern to maintain my energy and focus, too - the stress of adrenaline spikes that caffeine causes let you cover up any suboptimal eating patterns. In my case I had to eat some protein in the morning, mostly vegetables for lunch and all the carbs at the end of the day, or I'd get sleepy. Just an example, everyone is different. But expect to have to do some experimentation in this area.

Perhaps this is a better answer for you :)

@flowboy Wow, definitely, that helps a lot. And I think I get what you're saying about the diet, because I've also been noticing that I get more or less fatigued depending on what kind of food I choose throughout the day. And I've probably been choosing the wrong food more often than not...

I guess I'll go for 100 days then :) thanks a lot.

1 hour ago, dflores321 said:

That same energy boost you want can come from jogging.

That 

Sailing on the ceiling 

Yes. The enthusiasm is priceless.

2 Cups max and that's already way too much.

I quit coffee a week ago and I have had a bit of tea and coffee like once since then. 

However I'm trying to stick to just green tea. 

Mainly because : coffee makes me sweaty and dehydrated, I feel a crash soon after, it's addictive and I ended up buying it from caffes so wasting money.

Coffee should be like a social drug IMO. I will drink coffee for christmas and it's nice with alcohol. 

I actually think it's a bullshit work drug and makes it a lot harder for me to focus. 

Edited by Striving for more

haha coffee has given me a few low level panic attacks

too sensitive, it does something to my gut

i drink earl grey etc. often though

On 18/12/2020 at 6:02 AM, Gili Trawangan said:

Am I missing something here?

What's the rest of your diet, exercise, lifestyle like? A good diet and active lifestyle can provide you with more energy and drive than a cup of coffee every hour. Just saying 9_9

Green tea is probably the best alternative if you are looking for something with exceptional health properties and a mildly stimulating effect. Yerba Mate tea may be nice as well. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus