arlin

How to improve attention span and focus

14 posts in this topic

I heard that staying too much on the internet can cause a decrease in attention span so im making sure to reduce the time i consume on that and implement a meditation practice. 

I have heard that once your attention spanis decreased the brain has changed so it's irreversable. 

But isn't it true that by meditating you increase attention span? 

It's not about the internet per se, but it's about what you do on the internet. Meditation is pretty much an injection of pure attention span. Spending time worrying about your attention span will certainly decrease it though :P

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@arlin Meditation is proven to raise levels of mindfulness and awareness. You can not only improve attention span, you can also alter any undesired behavior, habit, or personality trait. It can also help decrease stress chemicals like cortisol and increase 'feel good' chemicals like serotonin, dopamine, etc.

1 hour ago, arlin said:

I have heard that once your attention spanis decreased the brain has changed so it's irreversable. 

Wow even materialists don't usually believe that

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

@seeking_brilliance what? 

@Natasha @Carl-Richard btw thanks for the answers. 

I meant that some say that up to a certain age the brain can change and others dont believe that. Why is it so and who is right? Can the brain alsways change? 

7 hours ago, arlin said:

That's like asking if it's true that you make your muscles stronger by working out.

@arlin don't multi-task. 

Finish what you have started or don't start. For example you open one of those 4 hours actualized episodes and you make sure to stick around and watch it all at one shot. Make it a habit. With everything else ofcourse. Untill it becomes second nature. 

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

14 hours ago, arlin said:

I heard that staying too much on the internet can cause a decrease in attention span so im making sure to reduce the time i consume on that and implement a meditation practice. 

That's good. But I'd say it's more about the kind of content you're consuming on the internet in terms of your attention span.

If you're reading an ebook, you're probably alright.

If you're binge watching shock videos on youtube with jumpcuts every 10 seconds, yeah you might cause some damage.

Meditation will help. But it's not a substitute for poor habits outside of it.

No. Limiting belief for sure.

Yes. So do that.

@arlin Yes, stuff that decrease your attention can change your brain's anatomy, but practices that can increase your attention can also do that. So its not irreversible, just try to fix it.

On 12/13/2020 at 4:56 AM, aurum said:

That's good. But I'd say it's more about the kind of content you're consuming on the internet in terms of your attention span.

If you're reading an ebook, you're probably alright.

If you're binge watching shock videos on youtube with jumpcuts every 10 seconds, yeah you might cause some damage.

Meditation will help. But it's not a substitute for poor habits outside of it.

No. Limiting belief for sure.

Yes. So do that.

Totally agree.

4 hours ago, Blackbeat said:

Yea I recommend 20 min meditation a day!

45 mins to 1 hour is the Goldilock zone. Don't ask before you've tried it.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@arlin Try concentration practices, helped me control what i put my attention too. 

The practice i use is as follows:

I Close my eyes, Focus on different sounds around me in my present experience.

The trick i do is that i only allow my mind to jump from a sound to the next as long as it is a sound in the present experience. (it could also be sounds coming from your thoughts.)

when i get sucked into a thought, i instantly label it internally as "Distracted" and return my attention on any sound in my present experience. This is the essence of the practice and Doing it continually should train your mind to put your attention on what you want to put it on.

Peace! ✌️