krockerman

The root of suffering IS not desire

51 posts in this topic

On 19/11/2020 at 5:49 PM, Beginner Mind said:

I was thinking something similar this morning.  It takes seeking in order to realize that there is nothing to seek.  For most of us, it's not enough to be told, "Let go of seeking."  One must go on their little spiritual journey and discover for themselves that the peace they are seeking is already here.

@Beginner Mind Sorry, where is this peace? I must have lost it somewhere LOL.

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

You misunderstood Buddha's teaching. 

"The root of suffering is unfulfilled desire "?  The thing is desire is never really fulfilled. Due to the simple fact of impermanence. It's never enough. A little ain't enough. a lot ain't enough. There will be never such thing as enough. Nothing finite will satisfy you because you are Infinite being. Only infinity can satisfy you. Which is nothing. 

Thanks Someone

Good reading of Buddha's teaching.

On 19/11/2020 at 6:33 PM, krockerman said:

Let’s say you desire Ice cream

do you suffer before you are given it? Well let’s look at this

you might get excited before you are given it. Maybe a little impatient but if you ask most people they will tell you that they enjoy that craveing

Then you are given it and it fills you with pleasure. So buddah is wrong that desire = suffering

unfulfilled desire = suffering

you suffer if you crave ice cream but are not given it. 

If you remove your desire to eat ice cream you will remove the suffering of not getting it when you would usually crave it and the negative health consequences that come from it. 

But it is not desire in itself that causes suffering 

buddha didnt say we need to get rid of desire.. only the attachment to. this is the miss assumption most people have.. just desire anything what you want and not be attached to it. also dont let your happiness depend on objects or experiences. beacause it will make you miserable.?

@Raven1998 Desire is usually attachment 9_9 Why desire anything, when you already are? When the personality becomes translucent, every energy is also refined. Desire is sublimated into play.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

17 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

The peace I'm referring to is found in the relinquishment of resistance to life, also known as 'surrender'.

I also recommend being aware of being aware, but I would say surrender is the best spiritual practice because the effects can be experienced in your ordinary daily life, not just in meditation.

By realizing 'you' are complete as Being. Nothing else is ever needed, not even 'you' :)

19 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

It's here. The question is where are you now? And by you, I mean your attention.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

On 11/19/2020 at 8:42 AM, krockerman said:

Even if you awake to no-self you are gonna go back to sleep. It’s just how reality works. every being in reality has at some point realized no self yet most are far from awake now. You see the problem 

I agree with this statement as well. Too naive to think that awakening is going to fix everything, in fact a lot of things will come out from under the rug. Shadow work is inevitable.

Edited by Galyna

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

Waking up doesn't fix anything, it just is the realization that the only thing that matters is nothing at all.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Rule of thumb, what helps me: every emotional state is kinda malleable, the good news is that impermanence is your salvage. Nothing lasts forever: excitement, hurt, pain....understanding this is your road to freedom. Suffering ends but high emotional states also have tendency to cease. But you never know what comes next.

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

Generally I’ve learned to not make blanket statements like “desire is the root of suffering” - humans vary way too much. Maybe for those who say it, transcending desires was their key to awakening. That doesn’t mean it’ll work for everyone.