Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mada_

Will self-actualizing ever be comfortable?

10 posts in this topic

I feel like when I'm not doing "the work" e.g. Developing practical skills, spiritual practice, contemplating, researching etc. And I'm procrastinating, doing something comfortable like bingeing Netflix, I am waiting for it to be comfortable to change my behaviour and get back to doing the work. 

When I am motivating myself to get out of bed early in the morning, I record motivational speeches for myself to listen to, to inspire me and remind me why I'm making this change. But in a sense I'm trying to make the change more easy than it would be if I were to just push myself out of bed. 

Will it ever be the comfortable choice to change my behaviour? 

So you want to have your cake and eat it too? 

That is possible, but only if there is no cake. :D 

Jokes aside. Comfort is the opposite of change. If you are building your whole life seeking comfort and you have created comfort for yourself, why would you want to dispense with your comfort?

The more comfortable you become, the more resistant you will be to change.

Become comfortable with change and then you have both.  

Will it ever be the comfortable choice to change my behaviour? 

YES.

Change does take some ass grinding work at start but once you tune with change you will start liking the process and aligning yourself towards more positive change to a point where Developing practical skills, spiritual practice, contemplating, researching etc, will just be of same comfort level as is bingeing Netflix.

You'll never eat Healthy food even if I tell you it's worth it, but once you realize why it's healthy and what value it can provide you in the long run, you'll just eat Healthy food.

Realising that you're Procrastinating is perhaps the first sign that leads you to change, keep procrastinating until you get the inner kick to get out of the your idiosyncrasies and realize that it's a mess right now and if it's not NOW it's never cos it'll just become worse from here on, get that epiphany of change for GOOD!

Sitting on a cozy little bed and bingeing is so dull and boring, O.o

The short answer is yes it will get more comfortable. For example, look at whenever you exercise ( assuming you do), what happens? The effort is sometimes not pleasant, sometimes the exhaustion is not fun, and you have to live with the soreness no matter how painful it is. However, with good nutrition, sleep, recover processes and well managed exercises, you soon adapt to the exercises and your body's intelligence prepares beforehand. You see this with professional athletes and the few that have greater physical adaptation.

Similar to working on self actualizing and spirituality, it's pretty hard at first, but eventually the body/mind learns how to cope and better adapt to what you want. Also, let yourself get a good rest if sometimes the work is too hard. Extra time in the bed means more healing and more time to travel to other dream worlds!

Edited by Danioover9000

I wouldn't say it'll be comfortable all around, but it'll get easier with time.

In your case, the best scenario would be getting comfortable with the uncomfortable. Sure, it's easier said than done, but after a while you'll get used to it. Start developing productive habits one by one. There's no need to try forcing several new hobbies at once because you'll crash pretty soon and you'll find yourself back at square one.

Why would it be comfortable? Changing oneself is naturally upsetting.

Edit: maybe I am wrong tho. Maybe the difficulty is the ego backlash. Idk

Edited by from chaos into self

Yes! and as you improve and really start seeing gains, perhaps you will discover a postive feedback loop that turns the work into the highest joy! this is happening for me.

A great book is Mastery by Robert Greene

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Mada_ This is just cultural conditioning. 

Actualisation is the natural state of comfort for the being. 

It's uncomfortable because you haven't been conditioned with the right ideas / need to de-condition. 

People that perpetuate the idea that actualisation is meant to be uncomfortable are lost souls masquerading as experts, the Jordan Peterson's and the many other unqualified folk, he resonates with people because at least 98% of the population resonate with nonsense and a percentage of them are trying to break out of Netflix. When you're coming from Netflix, Facebook, etc addictions, JP looks like a God and Sam Harris Jesus of Nazareth. It's like a homeless benzodiazepine addict walking into a benzodiazepine addict that's also a professor of psychology, he's found a mentor but ultimately they're both shooting up nonsense actualisation heroine inside a cheap hookers motel toilet at the end of the day.

There's the path of actualisation which compared to those addictions is "high consciousness" but then there's a level where seeing it as a chore or analogous becomes low consciousness. 

It's your NATURAL state of being that was stolen from you, now its your job to get it back.

All up to you. Unplug, re-determine existence for yourself.

@Origins careful there... this can be a challenging process for a lot of people involving years of work... lots of traps... ego backlashes, not knowing who is telling the truth vs who isn't, and also being able to judge the quality of information... not to mention taking into account spiral dynamics and ego development....

People like Jordan Peterson ARE trying to self actualize. Remember that. Lots and lots of people are but because of our culture and programming it is very hard for a lot of people.

Being actualized and healthy etc is great once we achieve it, but the process isn't easy for everyone.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

16 hours ago, Origins said:

It's your NATURAL state of being that was stolen from you

THIS 100%.