EmptyVase

Mastery Examples Mega-Thread

223 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, RendHeaven said:

This leads me to the insight that mastery is inextricably interconnected with personal subjective perception (or something akin to that, as opposed to conceiving of mastery as something independently "out there" unaffected by "perception")

Oh yes, totally. That might also be the reason why some people see mastery in things, where others fail to do so. I think we especially see that with those masterminds, who were completely ahead of their time and often even ridiculed by society.

I also think that there is a "higher" mastery, which would be the perfect genius of existence. By aligning with the truth of what we are, we open the doors to be co-creators, thus align with the mastery of existence, thus becoming masters in our zone of genius.

Edited by EmptyVase

1 hour ago, EmptyVase said:

I also think that there is a "higher" mastery, which would be the perfect genius of existence. By aligning with the truth of what we are, we open the doors to be co-creators, thus align with the mastery of existence, thus becoming masters in our zone of genius.

Mhm, it fucks with me sometimes when I understand that nothing is not-mastery - or more directly, everything is mastery - by virtue of sheer existence alone. And yet, sometimes we are able to distinguish what seems to relatively be not-mastery (a noobie at a craft making obvious errors, lacking experience, holding back, etc.)

So what really is the core of "mastery," as a self-consistent thing?

It might be useful to distinguish an uppercase M - Mastery (the "highest" existential mastery, as you note) apart from a lowercase m - mastery (the mundane human kind) but even then we have to notice at what point the uppercase blends into the lowercase and vice versa.

And now slap on the additional twist of subjective perception regarding the relative... is it wholly up to me to declare things "mastery" or not according to personal whim? Or is "mastery" something beyond personal preference and bias? But if it is "greater" than myself, then why am I unable to untangle myself from the object of inquiry? 

Sometimes it feels futile to talk about mastery dualistically as you notice how your own categories begin to break down.

But at the end of the day we know when we feel mastery nonetheless... so we know that it is, at the very least, as a private experience. It's all so interconnected and yet so lonely :x

On 31/05/2021 at 6:57 PM, Danioover9000 said:

R.I.P Kentaro Miura:

nzhitwy8w8f31.jpg

bid3dxh.jpg

Certified lazy skeptic and armchair philosopher

Self-explanatory. Pure mastery.

Enter their minds, and you’ll find the judges you’re so afraid of – and how judiciously they judge themselves.

- Marcus Aurelius

Posted (edited)

7:09-7:26 is probably the greatest drum fill of all time according to Rick Beato (played by Vinnie Colaiuta):

Edited by Carl-Richard

To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.

Mike Keneally is doubling everything that Steve is playing, which makes it twice as good.

Somehow they managed to make it sound even spookier than the original 😱

The video and the music are both masterfully done.