confused

why not just becoming a monk ?

42 posts in this topic

after watching a lot of Leo's videos I came to the conclusion that becoming a monk is the only way to be happy and fulfilled in life, I feel like my passions are just the creation of my ego and I see no reason to make a career at all, why not seeking peace of mind and living in the moment if it's the only way of happiness

Hey, I. remember when I discovered actualized.org I thought the same. 

But spiritual growth and fulfilment can in my opinion also be obtained through a "normal" life.

Otherwise, you can try out becoming a monk for some time to test if that's really what you want. Maybe the belief that you need to become a monk is also a creation of your ego :ph34r:

Seeking peace and living in the moment is harder probably living a standard western life but nevertheless you can do it and affect others around you by doing.

@max duewel ,

Living a normal life can lead to spiritual growth that’s true but most of the time I’m gonna forget my true nature while living it which can lead to suffering,
And living a monk life will lead to happiness because I’ll be most of the time focusing on my true nature which is god, but seeking happiness and avoiding pain
Isn’t my ego’s creation?
My mind is fucked , I can’t make a decision.

15 hours ago, confused said:

I feel like my passions are just the creation of my ego and I see no reason to make a career at all

I sometimes doubt my passion as well. But you don't have to come to a conclusion so early. Watching the videos is only the starting point of an actualized life. It puts ideas in your head that you haven't tried it out yourself. Leo has warned the viewers not to buy into his ideas. Everyone's life is puzzle that calls out for trials and errors of individualized solutions.  

18 hours ago, confused said:

becoming a monk is the only way to be happy and fulfilled in life

No. There are an infinite number of different and valid ways to express yourself and help raise the consciousness of mankind.

Becoming a monk is only for the most hardcore people who REALLY deeply want that kind of lifestyle. If you want to be a monk you should feel it resonate in your bones.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura  if I'm not the mind nor the body why improving it, why going to the gym, why quitting addictions, why learning, why making money... this is gonna strengthen my ego and makes me forget that I'm god which is gonna lead to suffering right? ,

10 minutes ago, confused said:

@Leo Gura  if I'm not the mind nor the body why improving it, why going to the gym, why quitting addictions, why learning, why making money... this is gonna strengthen my ego and makes me forget that I'm god which is gonna lead to suffering right? ,

This is a very simplistic and reductionistic perspective.

You transcend the mind and body, but the mind and body is still a huge part of your human incarnation.

Not taking care of your body and mind, being addicted, being broke -- these things will strengthen ego and make you miserable.

At your current stage -- which I can tell isn't very high -- I would worry less about transcendence and more about mastering basic survival, so you are a fully-functioning and mature ego.

Then you can shift focus to transcendence. You will simply not be capable of transcending if your ego is underdeveloped.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I appreciate your help.

should I make happiness and fulfillment  (not excitement ) a goal in life?

How about you just go to a 10 day vipassana retreat. Then you will know if this is right for you, or if you want to do something else with your life

Edited by Darodos

57 minutes ago, confused said:

What if the point of life isn't about the destination but about the journey?

You already are infinite awareness and CHOSE to divide yourself into what you are now. You really think that division isn't sacred?

if a cocaine addict goes 10 days no cocaine he'll think that quitting cocaine is not the right thing,  he'll experience intense withdrawal symptoms and if he trusts his feeling he's fucked .

@confused

Also, focussing on your true nature and living a normal human life are not mutually exclusive. You don't need to be on that pleasure seeking / pain avoiding wheel, you can just experience being human to its fullest and be fulfilled, while still maintaining the awareness that you are god. And that is the amazing part: As long as you remain in god-consciousness, life loses its seriousness and it all becomes fun and games.

I also have a question for you: does your desire to live as a monk stem from an unconsciously held belief, that you are unable or unworthy to create an enjoyable life for yourself? Ponder this.

9 minutes ago, confused said:

if a cocaine addict goes 10 days no cocaine he'll think that quitting cocaine is not the right thing,  he'll experience intense withdrawal symptoms and if he trusts his feeling he's fucked .

And if he quits cocaine too early, he wont go through the suffering that he would go through if he left it a bit later, and therefore would miss the opportunity for greater growth and life experience that he wouldn't otherwis get, and be able to pass onto his next incarnation.

I think every western seeker goes through this thought process in the early stages of their seeking journey, I know I did for a long time. 

The answer can be found in The ten Ox Herding pictures & Zen Buddhism, in which ones 'students' Awakened, they returned to the marketplace, and lived from this new found understanding, from a place of love in THEIR own way, for some this may mean running a monastery, for some it may mean raising a family & for some it may mean starting some form of a conscious business. 

We are all unique beings, with unique personalities & make-ups, so there isn't a one size fits all solution, do what you LOVE. 

If you LOVE the idea of being a monk and want to become a Monk, go do it. I would suggest doing a 7-30 day 'Monk Test' where you live like a Monk at home and see if it actually is the kind of lifestyle you need. 

Monks go so hardcore as they want the answers, the realizations and the happiness, but you don't HAVE to be a monk to get there, not at all. In fact most modern teachers are far from monks- Rupert Spira, Francis Lucille, Ramaji, Adyashanti, Leo, Eckhart Tolle etc etc. 

What you realize on this path is that true awakening is the only way to lasting happiness, BUT, EVERYTHING else is then simply an expression of happiness, and you can pursue it if you want to. 

For example, a relationship will NEVER give you lasting happiness, but it can be a great way to express & deepen your happiness, love and connection and can bring many great things to your life. 

Be careful on oversimplifying such complex topics such as awakening. 

As Leo said, it seems where you are right now, mastering the fundamentals would be more beneficial. 

While getting in shape, making lots of money, learning social skills etc won't give you lasting peace/ happiness, it will certainly make you feel better, improve your life & bring many benefits, things aren't as black and white as you are making out! 

Remember, spirituality is about helping us enjoy life more, not torture ourselves and give up everything we love!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@Darodos

19 minutes ago, Darodos said:

while still maintaining the awareness that you are god

if I'm gonna live a normal human life it's easier to be distracted from my true nature, For example: if I'm working/studying I can't keep this idea in mind that I'm not the body / the mind even if I know it deep down.

1 hour ago, confused said:

@Leo Gura I appreciate your help.

should I make happiness and fulfillment  (not excitement ) a goal in life?

I found that you need to have some excitement in your life, otherwise you’ll be too bored. But, you need to keep reminding yourself that there is zero importance in Life purpose. It is only for entertainment and passing the time. All importance lies in your own enlightenment, not other’s. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

33 minutes ago, confused said:

@Darodos

if I'm gonna live a normal human life it's easier to be distracted from my true nature, For example: if I'm working/studying I can't keep this idea in mind that I'm not the body / the mind even if I know it deep down.

So what, that just adds some extra challenge to your spiritual path, eg. some more opportunities for spiritual growth. Being a monk and enlightened is "easy", but being enlightened and still live an active and passionate life, that's a real challenge.

13 minutes ago, Darodos said:

So what, that just adds some extra challenge to your spiritual path, eg. some more opportunities for spiritual growth. Being a monk and enlightened is "easy", but being enlightened and still live an active and passionate life, that's a real challenge.

it's like saying to a drug-addict to relapse some times so you add an extra challenge to your journey, so instead of recovering in one 1 year it's gonna take 5 or never 

I know a celibate Buddhist monk who had a fling and now has a child he won't even meet. I know another guy that is disgusted with spirituality who is raising that child as his own. I wonder which one is more woke?  

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

1 hour ago, confused said:

@Darodos

The only solution to this problem is awakening, you are coming at this from a seekers POV. 

You don't need to keep any ideas / concepts constantly going round in your head at all, you don't need to repeat to yourself that you're God at all times. 

Whether they are aware of it or not, everyone is the Absolute / God etc, awakening is simply realizing this (and many other things ofc!) and then abiding as this in all areas of life. 

Eventually what happens, is it is like you are meditating 24/7 and are simply conscious of your true nature no matter what you are doing, whether it's formally meditating or studying. 

Also, don't think enlightenment is all that matters in life, if we didn't have all other subjects we wouldn't have developed so much as a species over the last few centuries, in fact awakening can help improve all areas of human life. 

If you want to go and be a monk, do it, nobody is stopping you, maybe it is what you need. 

But, what people are pointing out is you don't NEED to be a Monk to awaken, and in fact life is often the greatest spiritual teacher of all! 

26 minutes ago, Darodos said:

THIS +1

It is easy to constantly be at peace meditating for hours in the Himalayas all day, how about being at peace with 2 screaming kids & running on 4 hours sleep, now that would be impressive. 

IMO there's still a place for Monkhood and Monasteries, but the days of leaving society to awaken are over, sure if you need to do it for a while, but more than ever we need awakened beings to permeate all areas of society to help transform society in a loving way, and make the world as a whole a more conscious place. 

That isn't gonna happen my meditating in a cave all day, not saying there isn't a place for Monks, but if all awakened beings fucked off to the forests, who's going to run society? The unconscious people!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi