emind

Why do stage blue and orange trigger me?

9 posts in this topic

Brief Background 

To be honest I don't even know if I can objectively determine in which stage of spiral dynamics I am, given the bias inherent in such self-assesment. I have a healthy meditation practice, I love exploring all religions, the parallelisms between their scriptures and so on. I also deeply appreciate cross disciplinary assessments of complex phenomena, and have always struggled with specialization;my mind has always tended towards the general, as opposed to the microscopic. 

My Confusion

Most of my friends are a mix of blue and orange, some more blue than orange, and vice versa. I have noticed that when certain friends who are avidly religious make their opinions known to me, I really have to hold my tongue back to not overreact. I get significantly triggered when I hear viewpoints that are typically characteristic of stage blue. At the same time, I have a knee jerk reaction of disdain(although to a lesser degree) towards the glorification of science, especially certain individuals like Elon Musk, Neil Tyson, and so on, as well as the apathetic "every man for himself" mentality so idiosyncratic of stage orange. Start up culture, "hustle culture",  and social media marketing...they all rub me the wrong way. 

What I struggle to understand is why my emotional reactions towards these attitudes are so markedly strong. Is it possible that I have shadows of these stages which I haven't integrated? 

Edited by emind

You're at Green and Yellow. Green because Blue and Orange are strong triggers to you, Yellow because your mind tends to be more holistic as opposed to narrowly specialized.

Your reactions to them are strong because you're past those stages, so you're starting to get out of your own narcissistic bubble. You're starting to really despise those who are still stuck in their narcissistic bubble. You're seeing their dysfunctionalities in the context of relationships and what's even worse is that other people may not be corroborating what you're seeing. In such a situation, it really helps to have a Green social circle of hippies, love-and-light spiritual people, SJWs, etc.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

14 minutes ago, emind said:

What I struggle to understand is why my emotional reactions towards these attitudes are so markedly strong. Is it possible that I have shadows of these stages which I haven't integrated? 

It is. Could it be the case that there is some truth in all of that?for you to apply

Practice empathy of their limited perspective. Put yourself in their shoes.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

The answer is going even farther into tier 2. If you really understood why they were this way you wouldn't get triggered.

To be more practical: try to get why viewing the world with stage blue and orange lens could be a good thing, maybe even better than green or yellow.

Jordan Peterson’s personality lectures on his YouTube channel helped me integrate stage blue and orange. Get passed his bias, he does a great job at explaining the strengths and weaknesses of certain personality types. Conservatives are useful to run a business and open creatives are good at expression and creation. Every stage is useful. We just need systems that balance the powers out. Too much freedom will backfire and too much restriction will back fire. It’s not about communism vs capitalism. It’s about balancing our working system that’s grossly skewed to help the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Government in My opinion should be a stage yellow+ mediator. But good luck convincing the people. They don’t understand what life is like outside of their bubbles. 

Deeply anchored greens wouldn't have your realizations.  I think you are gaining more yellow and working out unhealthy aspects of green/red/blue   just focus on your spiritual advancement and you will grow from this

I wouldn't overthink it with stuff like "do I have a shadow?" stories. Stage blue can be headache inducing dysfunctional and downright fucking stupid to the highest degree. Orange can come off cold and uncaring. Honor your feelings. These stages are only going to lead to more suffering for large parts of society so of course it's normal to be triggered by it when you see it disfunctioning.

I prefer blue individuals over orange any day of the week. maybe it's because orange it's everywhere in our culture and got sick of it

Edited by Alex4