Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wwhy

ego-death/no-self: Did we forget before or after we were born?

26 posts in this topic

In the experience of ego death, what are we remembering? Is it us before coming into the world, or how we actually experienced life during the first few months?

It's a question that's been chasing me all around this morning, including this video I just stumbled upon, where he talks of children discovering their separate selfs (the yes-self experience ¬¬)

We remember that we have forgotten our unborn and undying selves. We remember we never came into this world in the first place, so in that sence your question is nonsensical, there never was a birth, and there never will be a death. Children do develop a sense a seperateness, but that does not mean that they were before in a no-self state, that is a kind of a pre-post fallacy. 

Edited by molosku

2 hours ago, molosku said:

We remember we never came into this world in the first place, so in that sence your question is nonsensical, there never was a birth, and there never will be a death.

And there never was a nonsensical question either. That's just a silly answer that can be applied to practically everything, so why give it?

2 hours ago, molosku said:

Children do develop a sense a seperateness, but that does not mean that they were before in a no-self state, that is a kind of a pre-post fallacy. 

A direct answer, thanks. You should do more of this when responding to questions, the "nothing exists" type answers are just of form of public spiritual masturbation.

You remember that your childhood is imaginary and that you have always been God.

You were never a child. You imagine it now.

Don't listen to fools in TED talks. They have no idea what's true.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Some years ago I used chrome extension to blacklist all TED channels on youtube, so they don't appear in my feed, because this is a useless channel 90% of time yet they market every video like it is a piece of gold. Toxic stuff.

Edited by Hello from Russia

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You remember that your childhood is imaginary and that you have always been God.

You were never a child. You imagine it now.

If my childhood memories are imaginary, that means all my memories are imaginary. I never existed, which means I am imaginary. Tommorow when I remember typing all this, I was never typing this.

So how is my ego-death experience real, if the one experiencing it and remembering is imaginary? And when I remember remembering that I am God, am I real from then on-wards, or was I always real? Or am I still not real, but now I know am not real?

38 minutes ago, remember said:

@Hello from Russia ? yes so toxic - it’s actually really easy to get addicted.

My biggest frustration with TED talks is that they are so superficial and yet they have a ton of water in it. These guys just speak for 20 minutes barely touching the surface.

They have a big audience because all videos follow the storytelling techniques and have good presentation structure that keeps viewers hooked and the whole setting looks very trustworthy and "professional" from the audience's eyes, so they give their authority to it. Then the viewers create the identity that they are watching somethng smart and they are "educating" themselves that way. While in reality, they are watching a show with no substance and inherent value in it.

That's why I blocked it, they are very smart devils

Edited by Hello from Russia

@Hello from Russia mhhh i don’t see that, there is some value in the change of perspective they provide - of course it’s a channel and every new speaker is a different person, and some of the talks are not really giving out enough hard facts - but that’s why it’s inspirational talks and not university lessons. 

it‘s not actually informational in that sense, you could even put some of the talks into the genre of speculative sciences, but it’s ok as long as you get inspiration an data from other sources regarding the topics. ofc the more people watch it the more mainstream it gets. maybe there is also the point that the volume they have to provide is probably watering down the quality a bit. i‘ve seen some really nice ted talks regarding topics i was interested in, but i usually then searched also for further information somewhere else.

10 hours ago, wwhy said:

In the experience of ego death, what are we remembering? Is it us before coming into the world, or how we actually experienced life during the first few months?

It's a question that's been chasing me all around this morning, including this video I just stumbled upon, where he talks of children discovering their separate selfs (the yes-self experience ¬¬)

Its a loss not a gain.

Although it can feel like a gain in the sense that you're not using so much energy to uphold the egoic construct any longer. It can feel like an energetic shift and a large weight dropped off the shoulders.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@remember But there is rarely a change in perspective, they mostly speak mainstream shit most of the time, which is kinda boring and not useful

10 hours ago, wwhy said:

This is a joke. There is no born, coming into world, you are human vs. “Existence or life” is just a thought. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

@Hello from Russia ? yeah life before ted talks was different mainstream. ice cream tastes nice until the first brain freeze.

Edited by remember

7 hours ago, wwhy said:

And there never was a nonsensical question either. That's just a silly answer that can be applied to practically everything, so why give it?

A direct answer, thanks. You should do more of this when responding to questions, the "nothing exists" type answers are just of form of public spiritual masturbation.

I don't see how my answer could be applied to everything, it was directly aimed at your question, which was

"Is it us before coming into the world, or how we actually experienced life during the first few months?" 

By nonsensical i don't mean that your question does not compute, I just denied your question entirely on the grounds that the true answer won't satisfy the premise that the words you chose set for the answer. There is a lot actually: a world before your birth, a world after your birth, your entire childhood and really time in general. 

This topic doesn't satisfy my specific spiritual masturbatory needs anyway, I'm more of a "can't you see that materialism is totally ass backwards" and "you cause 100% of your suffering and let me teach you why" type of a spirit fap guy you see. Also, publicity doesn't do it for me, but man, private orgies... 

Ps. Didn't watch your link if that matters, for the same reasons mr russia guy elaborated

Edited by molosku

Read the lyrics of it as well. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

9 hours ago, James123 said:

This is a joke. There is no born, coming into world, you are human vs. “Existence or life” is just a thought. 

You are a joke. Your comment is just a thought. It does not even exist.

6 minutes ago, wwhy said:

You are a joke. Your comment is just a thought. 

Yes, My comment is me, joke is me, thought is me as nothing :) 

7 minutes ago, wwhy said:

It does not even exist.

There is no exist nor not exist. These are thoughts. It is just me. Neither exist nor not exist. Nothing is nothing, simultaneously infinite. 

12 hours ago, Hello from Russia said:

Some years ago I used chrome extension to blacklist all TED channels on youtube, so they don't appear in my feed, because this is a useless channel 90% of time yet they market every video like it is a piece of gold. Toxic stuff.

There are some pretty decent banned talks.

Yes. I understand you now, and fully agree.

Nothing nothing nothing. No point. Nothing nothing.

6 minutes ago, James123 said:

There is no exist nor not exist. These are thoughts. It is just me. Neither exist nor not exist. Nothing is nothing, simultaneously infinite. 

Nothing. Nothing. nothing.

2 minutes ago, wwhy said:

Nothing nothing nothing. No point. Nothing nothing.

Not no point. Nothing is simultaneously everything. Formlessness can take any form. Nothing is infinite. Infinite meaning As nothing  ;) You are within yourself .