Chris365

Any disadvantage to meditating lying down?

9 posts in this topic

I prefer to be fully lying down when meditating, I can relax my body much deeper I feel. Are there any inherent advantages to meditating while sitting up?

@Chris365 Most people would fall asleep while meditating laying down. It's hard to fall asleep while meditating sitting, walking, etc. And it's not easy to do a Strong Determination Sit, for example, for an hour or longer without moving even a little bit, period. By making it difficult on the body, you more effectively train the mind. 

as Eckhart Tolle said is an invitation to sleep,
other than that, no much of a difference from my experience

Sadhguru (?) said that energy is moving more efficiently if you are turned upward. In my experience it seems to be true.

In my experience sitting/lotus is crucial. Thing is with meditation is that you want to be relaxed and alert at the same time and for me I can feel how my mind lean to day dreaming when lying down. Walking/standing meditation can be good because you are more alert but since you are not resting you wont sink deeper into meditation.
It´s the middle way. You should rest your attention on something while meditating, not trying to hard or to little. Do not push it but also do not let it go. Do not seek but at the same time explore. Meditation is non dual, it´s the middle way.
Lotus position is the middle way and the most effective (for me)

I meditate laying down. In my opinion, it's great. Sitting causes hemmorhoids. Laying down, does not. Also,you can meditate while having legs up to the wall. That's great too.

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

For me, it depends on how awake I am. Sometimes when switching from sitting to lying down, I can clearly see how I'm getting less present and it's very hard to stay centered. Then it's a matter of honesty and doing what's best. Most of the time though, it's amazing. Savasana is the most important yoga pose for a reason :)