Godhead

Question about meditation

11 posts in this topic

Is it worth it to sit in the lotus position? 

I'm a young guy and would consider myself rather flexible, however whenever I sit down in meditation for longer than 20minutes in the lotus position my knees and ankles are hurting and my legs fall asleep more than they usually do. If I want I can power through it but I find it rather distracting. 

Is there any benefit to it? does it get better after a while? are there any stretches I can do beforehand that would help?

if anything hurts your body from outside like the way you pose, your hunger, external temperature have a direct impact on the quality of your meditation! 

practice whatever position suits you, that'd be illogical to be in lotus and constantly thinking about the pain and numbness of your legs! 

there are various kinds of meditation: walking, lying, lotus, etc...

Edited by hamedsf

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

Sit on a chair man

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

@SamueLSD I've been using a meditation cushion. Is it a meme?

@hamedsf I was thinking there might be some energetic stuff going on that I don't get when I sit in LotusxD I've heard teachers say its the best way to sit, any idea why?

The point is to relax as deep as possible. So, seat as comfortable as possible, but in way you won't fall asleep.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

9 hours ago, Godhead said:

for meditation particularly....no , there is no need to sit in the full lotus .(but remember to keep your spine comfortably erect)

but if you are doing yogasanas , then you must train to sit in full lotus,half lotus , or siddhasana etc.

"All troubles come to an end when the ego dies"

"God has become man; man will become God again"

I've meditated for 3 years everyday in all kinds of positions, and my advice is that you should find the most comfortable position that naturally promotes an erect spine (you shouldn't have to "force" your spine to be erect). Lotus can help with that, but it can also detract from the goal, which is to sit in a relaxed and geometrically efficient position. I stopped sitting on the floor and started using my office chair instead because I sometimes tense up parts of my body. I tend to sit with my arms resting on the arm rests (doesn't matter where you position your hands) and with one leg tucked under my butt (the way Sadhguru tends to sit during interviews). You should have your chair back support setting (if you have any) placed on the "firm" setting so that you're sitting upright in a rested position without the chair leaning back if you try to lean back. Just remember that there is no point in having an erect spine if you don't feel relaxed or comfortable (but don't turn it into a perfectionism thing either haha).

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

11 hours ago, Godhead said:

I'm a young guy and would consider myself rather flexible, however whenever I sit down in meditation for longer than 20minutes in the lotus position my knees and ankles are hurting and my legs fall asleep more than they usually do. If I want I can power through it but I find it rather distracting. 

Is there any benefit to it? does it get better after a while? are there any stretches I can do beforehand that would help?

1721273B4D7B02412A2E15&f=1&nofb=1

this is easier, Burmese style

keep doing any of the cross legged positions to get used to the for longer periods. Switch leg orientation each time. 

If your legs fall asleep move them around or extend them and then return to the mediation.   Then do half lotus for a shorter period (switch leg each time) 
- or stick with Burmese,  it's not that important.   Full lotus has a very solid feeling but takes months of routine. 

At the same time every fourth day do a chair sitting mediation so you can also extend the time period to 30-45 minutes and not worry about legs.  Straight back is more important 

th?id=OIP.3L2qOuANounyVLpJH7HQJAAAAA%26p

Some people like this seiza position with this Seiza bench or some use a pillow, the thighs sloping down in front of it 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also try this Zen method a few times.  You don't have to choose it but it should be tried and if if harder at first, good
-- try this first in a chair and then cross legged.  head is tilted down slightly.   You will face a blank wall.  Eyes open slightly.
That's the difference, eyes open slightly for the usual duration.   You may or may not like it.  If you don't that may mean it's good for to overcome. Or you may like it.  - something to try, not better but one method.
The eyes are slightly open slits. This is to stay alert and aware not fall asleep or day dream 

Another method eyes open, gaze at a candle in a dark room. This is different a concentration meditation. It has it's uses. 
  Everything try 3 times at least to test.  Then stick to it for a few months or forever 

Edited by Nak Khid

Thank you all for your elaborate responses 

@Nak Khid the "Burmese" position always felt most natural but I will try the rest as well!

I'm honestly relieved that I don't have to suffer through it ahaha

I’m a fitness trainer who has studied human biomechanics for the last 5 years and I can say from a physiological perspective the lotus positions are stupid. Our knees aren’t designed to have that kind of mobility.

Now if there’s some sort of “spiritual” benefits to it I can’t speak on. Personally, I prefer to do the Burmese pose and it makes more sense anatomically 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

I pretty much only sit seiza style. I have a nice rectangle pillow for that. I can sit a long time comfortably. I'm not very flexible so any other way isn't an option