Godhead

How do I become a Godlike writer?

36 posts in this topic

So I'm working on a book right now, have been for some time. However, I want to step up my game. I'm writing about the ego, self, and such things.

Do you guys have any advice or know of any high-quality resources I could use to improve my writing? Oh, I'm mainly writing in german if that matters.

+If you have any GOOD books on the ego, self, personality, etc I would also be very interested. 

@Godhead

So you’re writing in German about the ego

Are you writing about your own personal experiences with the ego, you know adversities you’ve overcome?

Streve Pressfield has supreme books about writers and artists in general.

Also: Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler and On Writing by Stephen King.

As far as i know, the basis of it is:

1. Writing every day.

2. Free Flow writing, just decide what are you going to write about and write non-stop until you are done, no judgment at all.

3. Review and edit afterward.

4. Read a lot and try to analyze the author's writing style, how he structures sentences, his choice of words etc. Read like you are studying a subject in a science experiment.

5. Ship. Just put your writing out there in the "real world" with real feedback, take that feedback, learn from it and move on.

What specifically you wish to improve about your writing? Is it the overall style, sentence construction, depth of thought. You have to be more specific.

If you are unsure what you are missing, post a paragraph here and we can try to analyze what is missing. 

9 minutes ago, IJB063 said:

So you’re writing in German about the ego

Are you writing about your own personal experiences with the ego, you know adversities you’ve overcome?

Kind of, I'm writing about the ego in general. However, I do verify the things I write through the experiences I had, but it is not a very "personal" book.

In german quite simply because it's my main language 

3 minutes ago, Meta-Man said:

The best spiritual books were not written by ego’s. They were written by God through a selfless vessel.

That's why I want to become a Godlike writer :)

3 minutes ago, Recursoinominado said:

On Writing by Stephen King

This is OBVIOUSLY a horror book. But not the kind of  Horror Book with monsters and shit. Worse. Have you read the parts where the doc is poking in his ear? Or the time he wiped his ass with poison ivy?

Thanks for the great advice, yeah shipping it is very scary for me. Can you recommend any mediums where I can "ship" writings in forms smaller forms? A blog maybe?

1 minute ago, Godhead said:

Kind of, I'm writing about the ego in general. However, I do verify the things I write through the experiences I had, but it is not a very "personal" book.

In german quite simply because it's my main language 

Well, if that’s the case, it’s about your experiences, but it also has, you could say a more overarching philosophy behind it, because as you said it’s not a very personal book

And it’s written in German

Than I’ve got a great name for your book

”My Struggle”

What do you think?

You like it? 

1 minute ago, IJB063 said:

”My Struggle”

lol'ed hard here

Just read successful writers and try to make it sound professional. Read your own book to see what you can improve on.

2 minutes ago, IJB063 said:

”My Struggle”

Great troll.

7 minutes ago, JosephKnecht said:

What specifically you wish to improve about your writing? Is it the overall style, sentence construction, depth of thought. You have to be more specific.

Well, it sounds stupid, but obviously I would like to improve in all those aspects. But the two things I'd probably like to focus on right now is 

1. Being able to follow one train of thought with clarity - I often tend to just try to put everything I know into a chapter and it ends up being really chaotic

2. I want to be more poetic - I can't stand "autistic" books trying to link everything to science, even though science is important I'd like to package it well.

9 minutes ago, IJB063 said:

”My Struggle”

Mein Kampf with the ego, doesn't sound too bad :^)

I had to hide that previous comment lol

I don’t want to get banned

I was joking

7 minutes ago, IJB063 said:

”My Struggle”

What do you think?

You like it? 

You don't understand his struggle. Don't make fun of it. 

@JosephKnecht

None of us can ever possibly understand the struggle of that great man and godlike writer

R.I.P

Jk

Funnily enough, I wrote a bit about Hitler in my book, here is a little excerpt I quickly translated.

Don't take it too seriously though.. or maybe do idk.

"..Oh well, death isn't as bad as we thought, so what? The problem is that we don't see the implications this has. Our complete worldview relies on this one simple fact. That death is the worst thing that could ever happen to you. But if we believe those people who had near-death experiences, and death really is one of the most beautiful things we are able to experience, then we should start celebrating mass murders for being such selfless beings, helping people see God without worrying about themselves. Hitler was the real bodhisattva. Hitler should be our messiahs."

6 minutes ago, Godhead said:

1. Being able to follow one train of thought with clarity - I often tend to just try to put everything I know into a chapter and it ends up being really chaotic

2. I want to be more poetic - I can't stand "autistic" books trying to link everything to science, even though science is important I'd like to package it well.

1. Train of thought. That is a good analogy. Think of your whole book is like a train. The train has many cabins. Think of each cabin as a chapter. Make an outline of each chapter with the main ideas about what each chapter is about. Each cabin has many seats. Think of the seat as a paragraph. Make an outline of the main idea of each paragraph. Then expand on the main point in each paragraph until you have made the original point you wanted to make in the paragraph. Keep moving from seat to seat, from paragraphs to paragraphs until you finish the chapter. Move through each chapter until you finish the book.

2. This is more about style. Find a writer with a poetic style that inspires you. Read all his books. Try to analyze how he stands out from the rest. Try to emulate him in your writing. Try to write how he writes. 

@Godhead In my opinion Peter Ralston takes the cake along with the likes of Rupert Spira. They speak about mind and ego more eloquently than any other modern day writers.

I urge you to use your own insights as well. To write through powerful acts of truth one must have first hand realisations. Start doing deep inner contemplation and self inquiry. This will maximise the quality and depth of your writing.

I for one have a book in the works regarding the inner dynamics of mind and human experience. Self realised insights have been the fundamental key for me. No truth is deeper than the direct truth itself.

Also big tip: use elaborate imaginative analogies and metaphors, this helps with poeticness.

Edited by Jacobsrw

15 minutes ago, JosephKnecht said:

1. Train of thought. That is a good analogy. Think of your whole book is like a train. The train has many cabins. Think of each cabin as a chapter. Make an outline of each chapter with the main ideas about what each chapter is about. Each cabin has many seats. Think of the seat as a paragraph. Make an outline of the main idea of each paragraph. Then expand on the main point in each paragraph until you have made the original point you wanted to make in the paragraph. Keep moving from seat to seat, from paragraphs to paragraphs until you finish the chapter. Move through each chapter until you finish the book.

2. This is more about style. Find a writer with a poetic style that inspires you. Read all his books. Try to analyze how he stands out from the rest. Try to emulate him in your writing. Try to write how he writes

Pretty valuable actually, thank! 

13 minutes ago, Jacobsrw said:

Also big tip: use elaborate imaginative analogies and metaphors, this helps with poeticness.

I do this all the time, and I agree! Good luck with your book! 

interview someone who is further ahead than you and learn from them.

1 hour ago, Godhead said:

Thanks for the great advice, yeah shipping it is very scary for me. Can you recommend any mediums where I can "ship" writings in forms smaller forms? A blog maybe?

For sure, a blog! I am creating one myself, slow and steady :) 
I could give you some tips if you want, right now i am creating the site via WordPress which can be overwhelming for a newbie like me but slowly it is tanking form. 

1 hour ago, Godhead said:

Funnily enough, I wrote a bit about Hitler in my book, here is a little excerpt I quickly translated.

Don't take it too seriously though.. or maybe do idk.

"..Oh well, death isn't as bad as we thought, so what? The problem is that we don't see the implications this has. Our complete worldview relies on this one simple fact. That death is the worst thing that could ever happen to you. But if we believe those people who had near-death experiences, and death really is one of the most beautiful things we are able to experience, then we should start celebrating mass murders for being such selfless beings, helping people see God without worrying about themselves. Hitler was the real bodhisattva. Hitler should be our messiahs."

Heh, not bad. Not bad at all.

This twisted line of reasoning might actually - at least in some cases - have been part of the Nazi philosophy; it is a known fact that a few of them had some considerable interest in Eastern mysticism, perhaps even straight up Nondualism (it's been reported that Heinrich Himmler, leader of the SS, had the habit of reading the Bhagavad Gita - of all fucking books! - on a daily basis); so it is not even that far fetched to speculate that they may have viewed themselves like that.

Edited by Bazooka Jesus

Why so serious?

21 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

Himmler, leader of the SS, had the habit of reading the Bhagavad Gita - of all fucking books! 

A great example of the fact that moral and spiritual development are on two very different lines

22 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

This twisted line of reasoning might actually - at least in some cases - have been part of the Nazi philosophy

What if we got it all wrong. After all, the things we are most scared of are more often than not the things that we should do. And the things make us happy short term will often make us miserable in the long term. 

Its all very twisted, but if it wouldn't be.. If we would realize that death isn't that bad, I guess we wouldn't be alive