askdfjnak

Is Leo Manipulating Us?

178 posts in this topic

It's his business. I'm actually quite thankful for what he's selling and I like how he handles it.

Also don't forget how much time and energy he invests to offer free content as well.

I guess we have a good balance here.

Look at all the different beautiful emotional responses and views! 

I can't think of a better place to hang out than here:)

I want to be manipulated!!! Please, manipulate me!

:P

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

How can be Leo manipulating us if he doesn't exist????

:D:DxD

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Wow this blew up, this is how a forum "should" be.

8 hours ago, abrakamowse said:

No... so... what's your point?

No point.

We'll all be dead soon.

I want fuller conversations and emptier silences.

That's my point.

Next question(s) I have:

Leo offers plenty of great free content that could help many people who are having problems in their lives, no question. The way he delivers it also makes it very attractive to said people, he's very comforting and authenticity is woven into is work.

Now he's beginning to delve into content that could be very dangerous if misinterpreted. Like free will, morality and other aspects of "enlightenment".

Do you think it's wise to teach enlightenment before becoming enlightened? 

... to an unseen audience who may be unstable and impressionable.

What are the benefits of doing it that way?

What if he's ... "WRONG"! 

*dun, dun dahhhhhh!*

4 minutes ago, Gone said:

I want fuller conversations and emptier silences.

You mean, what this forum provides? Thought you wanted to leave to save from being manipulated.

4 minutes ago, Gone said:

Do you think it's wise to teach enlightenment before becoming enlightened? 

What are the benefits of doing it that way?

What if he's ... "WRONG"!

This is precisely why many of us are appreciative of the way Leo communicates his content. He is coming from a viewpoint and perspective not too unlike our own in place of from some super enlightened guru who we can't relate to very much at all.

Edited by nbolt

7 minutes ago, Gone said:

Hi, 

Thank you for pointing this out!  This is really important.

Enlightenment wise:

Wherever sheep congregate, there is always a wolf lurking nearby.

This material that Leo presents here is a starting point, it's not an authentic spiritual path. There are also a couple of people here who can create quickie experiences. However, if anybody is serious about it then they better follow a path within an authentic tradition.  If they don't then anything that happens here just won't stick. That's really the crux of it in my opinion.

Forums are places for swapping ideas, learning the art of conversation, perhaps learning how to online coach and motivate? 

Nobody ever became enlightened on an internet forum.

@Mal Thanks to you I was able to know about strawmen, it really increased my awareness...

43 minutes ago, Mal said:

Nobody ever became enlightened on an internet forum.

That's a damn lie! I can swear to you that this one time... I saw my shadow on... this forum... and I punched it! Sparks flew and I became instantly enlightened....xD

Edited by Ajax

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

@Linas Check out Enlightenment Jokes Here thread in Consciousness forum. There are a few JP Sears videos too and many funny jokes 9_9

3 hours ago, Mal said:

Wherever sheep congregate, there is always a wolf lurking nearby.

xD;)

I have come out of lurking to nitpick one small thing you said...

3 hours ago, Mal said:

However, if anybody is serious about it then they better follow a path within an authentic tradition.

From what I've read in this thread so far, you don't seem new to this gig. But be careful about saying that one should follow a specific path from a specific tradition. 

Enlightenment, at the most fundamental level, is just the realization of your True nature (or maybe a better way to put it is the realization of what you're not because Truth is completely inconceivable and "True nature" makes it seem as though it's an entity). True as in, there before "you" were born, here right now, and there in the future. True for eternity. The thing is, any "path" towards enlightenment is not a path, because how can you move towards or away from what you already are?

The only obstructions to enlightenment are illusions, and no one method or "authentic tradition" will work for all illusions. This is why you often hear enlightenment being called the "pathless path." Some things work well for some folks, while other things work well for other folks. In fact, following just one tradition can often lead to the individual becoming more entrenched in even more dogma, illusions, and moralizing. I'm looking at you, Buddhism...

3 hours ago, Mal said:

Forums are places for swapping ideas, learning the art of conversation, perhaps learning how to online coach and motivate?

This particular forum is also a great place to confuse the heck out of people. You're getting dozens and dozens of different answers from caterpillars to a question about butterflies, and then the caterpillars vote for which one sounds the most butterfly-ish. But how do you know that the highest voted post isn't bogus advice...? 9_9

Being confused about this stuff may actually be beneficial, because it helps you to see the flimsiness of all words. Conceptualize about Truth all you want...it ain't Truth. 

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

8 hours ago, nbolt said:

You mean, what this forum provides? Thought you wanted to leave to save from being manipulated.

No, it's mostly just people repeating the same stuff over and over. I wanted to leave to stop wasting time.
I'm being manipulated into staying by not being able to delete my account. This was an intentional update.

4 hours ago, jjer94 said:

The only obstructions to enlightenment are illusions, and no one method or "authentic tradition" will work for all illusions. This is why you often hear enlightenment being called the "pathless path." Some things work well for some folks, while other things work well for other folks. In fact, following just one tradition can often lead to the individual becoming more entrenched in even more dogma, illusions, and moralizing.

True, no one tradition will work for all illusions. I think a side effect of Leo's "tradition/enlightenment culture" is that people might "pretend" to be open minded and actually turn being "open minded" into a dogma.

Also re-branding enlightenment into "advanced personal development" could create some serious inner conflicts.
I mean, how are you supposed to "actualize" a self that doesn't exist?

It could perpetuate delusions of control, success/failure, regret, purpose, and cause people to objectify enlightenment as a goal to progress through.

Edited by Gone

@jjer94

Thanks for your input. Very wise!

In Zen there comes a point called dai - kensho (liberation) where the student realizes for themself that there is indeed no path.  This "path" brought them to the realization there is no path, no master, no enlightenment and that they are on their own. 

However, another great attribute of Zen is that it brings the person through even that marginalising state of Absolute and back into the relative existence (full enlightenment/transmission).  That's the beauty of a tradition, because it protects you by teaching you there is a lot more to enlightenment than realising true nature (the "dogma" of true nature)

There is also the other practice's I recommend, shadow, psychotherapy, ego development to turquoise stage which are not Buddhist but deal with other aspects of the psyche. States tend to repress and structures tend to include.  This is why there is much more to Enlightenment than self-realization.

I apologise to you for not putting my entire recommended system into my previous message.

There is a distinct difference between messy eclecticism and being serious about ones development. 

Thanks for your contribution, seems you're learning something by being here.:)

Edited by Mal

Leo needs money to survive and got to play by society rules in order to feed himself and not die. So while he may be using specific techniques to manipulate us, he has to do it, so he doesn't strave to death. In the future he may release his videos that cost money for free if the economy crashes and a new paradigm happens.

98% of his content is free anyways! on his youtube channel! what are we even talking about? literally his only paid content is the life purpose course.

Edited by nbolt

I'd consider Leo to be a teacher..

Edited by Atom

@Linas

Why don't you watch somebody else's videos then if you really believe that any guy on youtube can make you rich?

I mean, why are you on here trolling Leo?  Shouldn't you be thinking and growing rich or something?

@Linas If Leo does become become a millionaire than what will he spend the money on? Will he just spend it on a quiet place in the woods and just meditate all day. Even if he does that, money is just a human invention, something to control resources and zeros/ digits. 

Also why do you want Leo to be a millionaire?

Edited by PeakPerformance
Misspelled a word

anytime you follow anyone else, you are being manipulated, why would you want to put in your consciousness what other people think and believe.  You will have to get rid of it eventually.  most are looking outside of themselves for answers and help, they overlook the greatest help that never fails and its right inside of them.

3 hours ago, Linas said:

@PeakPerformance  thats whay "leo" should become milionare first, it would not  be so hard when i listten his videos. Then i would not doubt on him, when he says "money, success is not important for me.."

Leo's already a millionaire, but he's the kind of a person who doesn't walk around boasting about his wealth to the world. He's also got more YouTube subscribers than other self-help gurus out there (pushing half a million), and he just started 2 years ago! Verses Tony Robbins who's been around much longer and only got half of that number.