ashleigh

The Earth Is Flat?

22 posts in this topic

If I've learned anything its to never accept anything that isn't in your direct experience as truth. 

I want to hear what you guys think.

Opinions. Go. 

this HTML class. Value is http://youtu.be/d_4E

You can directly experience that the earth isn't flat. Just get a telescope and look out to sea at the horizon. You can't see beyond it. The earth can't be flat or you would be able to see the land on the other side of the sea. You can also see that the horizon is curved from one side to the other.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

just gonna leave this here

As FindingPeace said, this is something literally anyone can directly experience. If you don't understand the math/science, time to do some studying.

Edited by Neill

On 14/06/2016 at 9:55 PM, Mal said:

How do you know your direct experience is even truth?

This is a good point. Direct experience is limited to the confines of our senses. Which are unique to us. Other living beings sense the world differently. So absolute experiential truth is virtually impossible to obtain as experience, by its very nature, is subjective.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

11 minutes ago, FindingPeace said:

This is a good point. Direct experience is limited to the confines of our senses. Which are unique to us. Other living beings sense the world differently. So absolute experiential truth is virtually impossible to obtain as experience, by its very nature, is subjective.

Absolute truth is real. It is beyond the senses, it's what Zen calls "our Original Face".  It's just not a good idea to get stuck there.

Thanks again for your thoughtful replies I enjoy reading your posts. 

Warmly

Mal

The answer is no.

More interesting question, thread poster:  Can I get yo numba?

Edited by Heart of Space

If you define Earth as the object that we call this planet, then no. It's not flat.

I believe the flat earth theory was more or less a relation to western astrology which puts the earth at the center of the universe.  Earth, being defined as our physical plane of existence (the perceivable universe in it's entirety, including the seemingly infinite darkness).  Plato astrology -- basically..  

@ashleigh

Practically speaking, I doubt that you can even experience Truth, I certainly haven't.

Theoretically, Truth means a total absence of falseness. Since  direct experience doesn't reflect  a Total absence of falseness, it can not be Truth in the ultimate analysis. However, direct experience can be useful because it reduces falseness and increases understanding.

Besides I  haven't  experienced the earth being flat have you? I may have looked out in the distance and saw that the earth appears flat but I have experienced enough to know that appearances can be deceiving, therefore appearances alone are not sufficient experience.

However, this could be summarized in one sentence:

On 6/14/2016 at 2:55 PM, Mal said:

@ashleigh

How do you know your direct experience is even truth?

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

Have you ever experiences earth being flat? ;) No hills? No nothing?

- Enter your fear and you are free -

On 6/18/2016 at 2:54 AM, Ajax said:

@ashleigh

Practically speaking, I doubt that you can even experience Truth, I certainly haven't.

Theoretically, Truth means a total absence of falseness. Since  direct experience doesn't reflect  a Total absence of falseness, it can not be Truth in the ultimate analysis. However, direct experience can be useful because it reduces falseness and increases understanding.

Besides I  haven't  experienced the earth being flat have you? I may have looked out in the distance and saw that the earth appears flat but I have experienced enough to know that appearances can be deceiving, therefore appearances alone are not sufficient experience.

However, this could be summarized in one sentence:

good question, was the experience one of the human identity, that has been programed, has a false belief system, and a very warped perception of life,  or was the experience of one who is self realized, who has the ability to see and experience reality. 

flat earth is a good example to get the wheels turning. but go with something more pragmatic., 

I am a body

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Just go on a plane, fly around the world and wait for that 360 degree turn. :| Won't happen. xD

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

How could it be flat or not when in present consciousness, there is even no such thing as an 'Earth' to begin with?

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You 

Oh lawd I've got a lot to read. Thanks for all of your thoughful answers i was having a weird week when I posted this. More like just opening my mind to possibilities. Any possibilities. So many things I once accepted as unquestionable fact have been shattered and it just puts me in some very inquisitive moods.