Preety_India

My boyfriend thinks that the earth is flat

62 posts in this topic

My boyfriend believes that the earth is flat. I argued with him but of no use. He just doesn't agree. 

I am beginning to think he is just ridiculous and I'm thinking if I should take him seriously lol. 

He is usually logical about a lot of stuff but I just don't know what to think. It's not that it matters a lot. 

But still....

He talks like this 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

He is trolling you. Where do you get your boyfriends from? :D

4 minutes ago, Bill W said:

He is trolling you. Where do you get your boyfriends from? :D

:D:D

Edited by Preety_India

@Bill W the only difference is that he is being super serious. He wasn't kidding at all. In fact he was very offended when I ridiculed him xD

Can you understand what compels him to believe such? Have you let go of right or wrong, and over rationalization, to figure out what makes his world go round xD

Sounds like you picked a real gem ? 

seriously, haha much to learn ;) 

Have you asked him why he believes that and why it matters to him so much? 

If someone is believing that the Earth is flat, it's probably for some reason that has nothing to do with the shape of the Earth. 

So, if you want to change his mind, don't go directly for a rational argument against why the Earth is round. Instead, try to understand and get him to see what those beliefs are scaffolded upon and he will likely let them go of his own accord... eventually.

But never try to dismantle the viewpoint head-on. This will just cause the backfire effect and he will dig his heels in more on the whole flat-Earth thing. Instead, try to understand why.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

4 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Bill W the only difference is that he is being super serious. He wasn't kidding at all. In fact he was very offended when I ridiculed him xD

Well in that case you must deploy unconditional love and acceptance and tell him you respect his beliefs :D xD

@Emerald  he tells me that the whole world is a lie and that everything we are taught is a conspiracy. He believes that everything is opposite of what is being taught in schools. 

When I argued and asked him about the image of earth and why its round, he said its CGI. 

He says that science is bullshit and anti - God. 

He gave me the example of baseball. And how another player can catch the flying ball. And he says that it's only possible if the earth is flat. 

5 minutes ago, Bill W said:

Well in that case you must deploy unconditional love and acceptance and tell him you respect his beliefs :D xD

4 minutes ago, modmyth said:

@Preety_India  Just this topic title made me laugh. xD

Does he have a lot of other... interesting beliefs? Usually it's not just one thing like this. Usually there's a whole constellation of interesting beliefs.

Hahaha :D:D:D

Dude I’m serious. But have nothing to offer, hope you share yourself with him ?

@DrewNows  I would lol. He is lovely though just a bit eccentric. 

He sounds like an interesting person. I would bring mindfulness to if you're feeling some negative emotion/thought as soon as you want to argue back. Those thoughts/emotions usually start and fuel an argument. Ultimately, arguing never creates change, only keeps you and him stuck in that position vs position dynamic, a win-lose only outcome. I would let go, a little bit, of arguing back and instead lead the conversation into a discussion and have him tell you what his vision of flat earth for him is. Try not to come off as interrogative either when you ask him to explain, try to be interested in his view. He might even share more "interesting" beliefs when he notices you listening more to him.

You're a special person to attract people like this. It's a praising?

4 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

He sounds like an interesting person. I would bring mindfulness to if you're feeling some negative emotion/thought as soon as you want to argue back. Those thoughts/emotions usually start and fuel an argument. Ultimately, arguing never creates change, only keeps you and him stuck in that position vs position dynamic, a win-lose only outcome. I would let go, a little bit, of arguing back and instead lead the conversation into a discussion and have him tell you what his vision of flat earth for him is. Try not to come off as interrogative either when you ask him to explain, try to be interested in his view. He might even share more "interesting" beliefs when he notices you listening more to him.

You're a special person to attract people like this. It's a praising?

Definitely. I was tempted to argue but then I let it go. I mean it's not too serious. So I didn't let it bother me. 

He is cute otherwise. But sometimes says some odd things here and there like this one. He is very sensitive so if I say anything even slight he gets offended very quickly. 

Sometimes it's a bit of a trick to not sound annoyed. 

3 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Definitely. I was tempted to argue but then I let it go. I mean it's not too serious. So I didn't let it bother me. 

He is cute otherwise. But sometimes says some odd things here and there like this one. He is very sensitive so if I say anything even slight he gets offended very quickly. 

Sometimes it's a bit of a trick to not sound annoyed. 

Yep, I understand. Forgot to mention this too: my current girlfriend is similar as well, except she's less sensitive, more able to discuss crazy things, and is cute. This is how I was able to learn very quickly about this dynamic as she sometimes likes to pull one on me.

Just now, Danioover9000 said:

Yep, I understand. Forgot to mention this too: my current girlfriend is similar as well, except she's less sensitive, more able to discuss crazy things, and is cute. This is how I was able to learn very quickly about this dynamic as she sometimes likes to pull one on me.

I meant she likes to prank me, not the stuff that happens in bedrooms. That could be taken out of context so fast lol!

If I dated a gal like this, she would need some mad skillz in other areas to keep me around. 

1 minute ago, Serotoninluv said:

If I dated a gal like this, she would need some mad skillz in other areas to keep me around. 

Other areas will be left to our imagination :)

@Preety_India Someone calculated the radius of the planet based on length of shadows. Look it up.

Also, if the Earth is flat, then why can't people from the south hemisphere see the Polaris star and why can't people from the north hemisphere see the Sigma Octantis star?

unborn Truth