Going Meta Books

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone have book recommendations on the following: 

Going meta in day to day situations

Strategic thinking

Business infrastructure in the workplace

Emotional Intelligence in the workplace

Systems thinking and how to synthesize creativity

Persuasion and Influence (Not manipulation)

Understanding the deep needs of any niche

The keys to providing massive value in the marketplace 

@Shiva @mandyjw @CreamCat @Cocolove @DrewNows @Average Investor

Thanks in advance!

Leo Gura has videos about going meta and systems thinking. Eben Pagan and other people teach marketing and other business stuff.

I don't know any book about any of the topics.

Leo's book list may have books about most of your topics.

I think that's enough to keep you moving.

Edited by CreamCat

recommends some books about systems thinking and spiral dynamics.

Only the paranoid survive is a great one for strategy and longevity. Saved me months of headache and despair. Really it covered a few things you are looking for. Probably one of my favorite business books. I have read a little of blue ocean strategy and that looks really promising. Only a couple chapters in, but I would say it is worth the purchase. 

3 hours ago, Average Investor said:

Only the paranoid survive

That sounds like a bad personal development advice. Leo Gura preaches letting go.

In my direct experiences, letting go boosts performance far better than paranoia.

If you don't practice letting go, you may succumb to distractions.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat Letting go is good to do, but it wouldn't be wise to let something that would crumble your business slip past you. The book is based around looking into the future of your industry. It is about intel and how they managed to go from making memory in a crowded market of Chinese sellers and going into micro processing. While they had already been successful in making memory, but were losing footing due to competitors being able to produce it cheaper.  It isn't really to encourage you to be paranoid, but more aware of your situation and industry you are involved in and where it is headed. If they continued making memory it would be unlikely you would even know what company I am talking about. Very good book for forming structure in your business and leading it strategically. 

2 hours ago, Average Investor said:

It isn't really to encourage you to be paranoid, but more aware of your situation and industry you are involved in and where it is headed.

Then, it's more about caution and awareness. If you were aware and cautious without being paranoid and anxious, you would become more effective.

Think about a calm warrior who calmly assesses and responds to external environment.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat Exactly! I will admit you are not going to probably catch a whole lot of SD green and up in these kind of business books. But there is a lot of great foundation principals. I had a nudge moving me out of my previous business and it was really hard to let go. The lessons in this book allowed me to look at the industry rationally and encourage me to end the business. It was definitely best for me. I am at much greater peace and happiness. Making a bit more money now too. Still think I am yet to discover the larger purpose though. It's been running my mind a lot. For now I think I need to max out this business for awhile to gain a much greater financial freedom. 

4 hours ago, Average Investor said:

gain a much greater financial freedom.

How much freedom do you already have? If you already have enough freedom, it may be better for you in the long run to aim for becoming a well-rounded investor rather than maxing out your current business. Or, you could try to max out your current business while doing personal development.

Unless you are struggling to survive, think about balancing the short term with the long term.

Edited by CreamCat

Self observation by Red Hawk 

this is for general overall expansion of self not focused on any specific areas but I can see all areas being shown in a new light 

Given to me by @Zigzag Idiot ??

@CreamCat Not struggling now. Just spent all of my money of the business. But that business has a good amount of assets. Just getting to where I am piling up cash now. I usually only spend a few hours a day working now. Sometimes I go for the whole day if I have the energy for it. But I relax the next day usually now.  But that still leaves out 1 hour meditation and 1-2 hours of exercise if I decide to work that much. I am trying to get enough cash together to just buy a blank property out right I think. Just kind of depends. I can't really just ditch what I am doing at the moment. I could hire though sooner or later and mix that in with low expenses of own the property and stuff I would be doing pretty good. At the moment I could probably pay all of my monthly expenses with like 3 days of work. But only issue is that part is not repeatable really until the next month. Trying to figure that out lol. 

If I have that kind of cash piled up and we go into a recession I might just invest it instead into rental property. Just depends how low prices go. I've been wanting to set up a roth ira and put a bit into the S&P every month too. 

Edit: I have debated on spending that money once I save it on another business venture that is much more conscious too. First mover advantage locally, so it could work. Just not sure if that is what I am ready for. Would want to be producing healthy plant based meals. But I am going to keep a few ideas similar in rotation and think about it. I definitely need to extract some money out of this current business as I just dumped like 6 months and thousands of dollars in and have the engine running good now. 

Edited by Average Investor

For business, eben pagan has courses that cover all of those needs 

Seth godin new book on marketing is a true goldmine 

Edited by d0ornokey

@Average Investor I don't tell you to ditch your business. What I mean is that if you let go of the results, you will have more peace of mind which leads to better results. It's counter-intuitive. If you let go, you are going to be happy whether or not your business succeeds. If you are already happy, you are more likely to try harder. If you try harder without neurotically clinging to it, you will succeed better.

I experienced the same with work. When I stop caring whether I work hard or procrastinate all day, I naturally work much more than I would if I cared a lot about procrastination.

Without happiness, it's difficult to work hard. If you are unhappy to work hard at night, you won't work hard at night. Let go of mental comfort, and you will work harder and still be happy. I feel headache because I worked hard, but I am happy anyway despite headache.

That's what I discovered while practicing unconditional happiness and letting go.

Happiness leads to success. Success doesn't lead to happiness. That's why practicing unconditional happiness is practical.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat Yeah, I have experienced that as well with it. Sometimes it is necessary for me to grind out those extra hours. Especially forming the business.  But I have done it enough to where now I can go at a good enjoyable pace that I am enjoying the work without as much burnout.  This is the happiest I have been in quite awhile without really doing a whole lot to try to be.  I'll keep it in mind more though. I've kind of sucked myself into a thought loop of needing some huge purpose. Which maybe it is something I will discover a long the way, so that is where I am with kind of ditching it. Of course I probably need to run out some years of this and I might do it on the side for much longer since it is fun and I am good at it. I resell collectibles and various items by the way. So I can do it in ways that are more conscious to the environment and consumers, but it does not have too big of impact on most people.

The greatest book I’ve read is the book of not knowing by Peter Ralston. 

The game of survival cannot be won.