Forrest Adkins

Eggs - Yes or No?

12 posts in this topic

Healthy or too high in cholesterol?

Even if its pastry raised and high quality, I read a study that Eggs are even a risk for heart disease and stroke.

Too bad beause they are easy to refridgerate, tasty and nutritious.

Bonus question: Besides raw Fruits and Vegetables which foods can you recommend when you are too busy to cook all the time?

I always feel too empty when i only eat Fruits so I wanted to supplement it with 1-2 eggs but I think I have to forget that idea also.

I think eggs are a great food as long as they come from a farm or truly free-range chickens. Buy organic or local from a farm you trust. There are a lot of widely varying opinions about cholesterol but it looks like it's not as big of a problem as we thought it was. These questions are getting harder and harder to answer the more we learn and it looks like genetics and other factors play a role, therefore some foods are healthy for some people but very problematic for others. The best test is for what foods are healthy is to pay close attention to how they make you feel. 

Egg sensitivities are also common so that's another reason to really pay attention to how they make you feel. For that reason they aren't a great food to eat every single day because that can make you more likely to develop a sensitivity in the future if you don't have one now.

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

2 hours ago, Forrest Adkins said:

Bonus question: Besides raw Fruits and Vegetables which foods can you recommend when you are too busy to cook all the time?

I always feel too empty when i only eat Fruits so I wanted to supplement it with 1-2 eggs but I think I have to forget that idea also.

Raw nuts are great. I also eat a lot of olives. Walnuts and brazil nuts are my favorites right now. Limit the brazil nuts because they are very high in selenium, which is excellent in the right amounts, not good to get too much though. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Great source of protein and the yokes contain valuable nutrients. They raise HDL (good cholesterol) in proportion to LDL (bad cholesterol). So they don't just spike your LDL like trans fats and other greasy foods.

It comes down to how active is your lifestyle (will determine how many eggs are appropriate for you) meaning how often to you stress/work out your heart muscle and get global bloodflow through your system. If you are a high performance athlete you can eat a lot of eggs on a normal basis and its not going to give you heart problems. If you are sedentary eating lots of eggs is not a good idea.  

And comes down to how balanced your diet is around the eggs, how many plant sources of nutrition are you getting (plants help keep cholesterol in check). And getting the eggs from a quality source (organic, free range) is preferable to ones from unhealthy chickens. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

On 10/21/2019 at 1:22 PM, Forrest Adkins said:

Healthy or too high in cholesterol?

Even if its pastry raised and high quality, I read a study that Eggs are even a risk for heart disease and stroke.

Too bad beause they are easy to refridgerate, tasty and nutritious.

One study is not enough to conclude anything about anything.

In my experience, Eggs are one of the best foods one could eat. I always feel energized and focused after eating them. I have never felt sick from eating them or bloated. I eat about 2-3 eggs a day 5-6x a week. 

On 10/21/2019 at 1:42 PM, Forrest Adkins said:

Nuts and seeds, but if you're serious about having a healthy diet, you're going to need to cook though.

A way to bypass cooking often is to meal prep early in the week. 

@Forrest Adkins There is a lot of mixed information out there about nutrition. Some people say eggs and cheese are bad, and others say the opposite. Saying that, I saw one guy who managed to get his cholesterol down by eating a lot of eggs. So, it's confusing.

The way I approach this is to eat healthy foods (natural whole foods) and keep junk/processed foods down to once per week while getting regular blood work done. You want to look at your blood cholesterol levels, specifically HDL to triglyceride ratio and total cholesterol for heart health. If it remains within a healthy range then continue to do what you're doing until it changes. Your body will change at some point and one diet won't work for you anymore, you will need to tweak it or cut back on the junk more as you get older. Just keep on top of your blood work and keep communicating with your doctor. But don't take any meds from them, meds are sometimes not necessary if you're willing to make the lifestyle changes. Lifestyle is more important than any med.

It really comes down to quality of the egg you are eating and lifestyle factors. How efficiently your heart works, your activity/energy demands, how many micronutrients/phytochemicals/antioxidants are you getting in the totality of your diet. Not black and white. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry