Harikrishnan

Learning digital marketing

15 posts in this topic

So i wish to learn about digital marketing and i have a subscription in lynda. And there are 1000 of courses on same and i am confused. Does studying a single course from that 1000 help me in becoming a digital marketer or do i have to study many other courses. And if any one here into digital marketing which course helped you in the journey.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Harikrishnan Lynda is pretty good but you're not gonna know it all after just one course, even if its 10 hours long. Take a variety of courses that fall under the broader field of digital marketing (social media, SEO, analytics, different types of marketing, etc). Take longer courses in areas that you feel will be applicable to what you intend to do with these skills. Take notes, and aim to really understand whats being taught. I'm pretty sure the course have reviews and ratings, so look at them to help you choose which one to take. Most of the information is gonna be fairly similar throughout all the digital marketing courses though. It's pretty straight forward stuff. This should then be balanced with actual practise and implementation of whats learnt. The main lessons will come from actually doing digital marketing, using google analytics, doing social media etc.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

8 hours ago, Space said:

@Harikrishnan Lynda is pretty good but you're not gonna know it all after just one course, even if its 10 hours long. Take a variety of courses that fall under the broader field of digital marketing (social media, SEO, analytics, different types of marketing, etc). Take longer courses in areas that you feel will be applicable to what you intend to do with these skills. Take notes, and aim to really understand whats being taught. I'm pretty sure the course have reviews and ratings, so look at them to help you choose which one to take. Most of the information is gonna be fairly similar throughout all the digital marketing courses though. It's pretty straight forward stuff. This should then be balanced with actual practise and implementation of whats learnt. The main lessons will come from actually doing digital marketing, using google analytics, doing social media etc.

Thank you ?

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

How is it going? What have you decided to learn?

@herghly yes i started studying a course by brad batesole.

Edited by Harikrishnan

It depends what you want to do exactly. What's your ultimate goal? Start with a digital marketing course if it's relevant so you can learn the basics but I'd be moving quickly into a specific domain like SEO, Facebook ads, YouTube etc... and then mastering it. Be careful of falling into the trap of doing course after course but never applying anything. Once you've established a clear goal, learned the basics, then I'd suggest looking at Sam Ovens video on the modern state of online business, absolute ripper: 

I’ve been considering getting involved with that as well. Although I am quite unskilled at just about everything. I too would like to be able to maintain some kind of monthly income doing this. It is indeed quite confusing though. 

Anyone here know of dan Henry ad agency course? 

Local business advertising...

Edited by Jack River

you can still be expert but even learn from those courses which are considered for newbies! so don't think that just because you learned one course, you're good to go! (of course, you can be ready to push yourself when you think you're done but never think you're complete in terms of any knowledge) 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

Am a digital marketer now and thanks for all good advices. ❤️

On 10/06/2019 at 1:29 PM, Harikrishnan said:

So i wish to learn about digital marketing and i have a subscription in lynda. And there are 1000 of courses on same and i am confused. Does studying a single course from that 1000 help me in becoming a digital marketer or do i have to study many other courses. And if any one here into digital marketing which course helped you in the journey.

Check Seth Hymes i think is the name. Its not easy. Nor is learning to code. 8-12hrs learning everyday for a few years. Even then, you need a portfolio and proven track record. Check upworks and other sites. There are tons of reddit subs. 

Most will never work hard enough to execute. Energy crystals and you'll manifest everything from your bed while covered in Cheetos dust + crispy creams. Go ham. Check udemy. There's the hard way i said above and there's the really hard way of office politics for 30yrs. Choose your destiny. 

3 hours ago, Harikrishnan said:

Am a digital marketer now and thanks for all good advices. ❤️

Congrats. You did it! :)

Like any career, one course isn't going to give you everything you know.

Starting off with a more generalized course aimed at beginners is the way to go. Then start actually using what you learned in the course and applying it. Even if that means starting your own website as a project, or throwing $20 of your own money into Facebook ads just to test it out and see if you can get results.

Then keep learning, taking more courses, and specializing in the area of digital marketing that most interests you.

Learn the broad scope of digital marketing, than focus on a single skill (ie SEO, Facebook ads, Native advertising, landing pages, etc..) and become an expert at it (essentially, provide the skill as a service). To be a digital marketer is too broad imo. But, being an expert at X is far better. 

Edited by Pudgey