kieranperez

Question on Developing Better Speaking Skills and Ego Development

12 posts in this topic

What are some deliberate practices I can do on my own even at home to really become a better speaker? 

I really want to become a better speaker as that’s a leadership skills that’s common among most great powerful visionaries and leaders. I find it very inspiring and also necessary since how I communicate tends to feel very disempowering for me. 

When I say “speaking skills” I’m making a distinction between that and communication skills.

@kieranperez One of the books Leo just added with his booklist update is really really good for this (TCM by OC)

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

find someone who you find is fucking good at speaking, find many guys good at speaking.

simple as listening leo carefully, he speaks well.

follow them, watch them, repeat their ways, adjusted to your tones and what you think is suited for your own voice.

and if you want deep accuracy, you can watch in multiple langage "great speech" to take inside the energy of a "good speech".

I would listen aswell on dialogue in series/movies, cause actors are worked on to speak clearly.

You can try to read books and record yourself,

Then listen to yourself without judging and just finding the harmonic content that doesn't fits in term of speed/ emphasis on words / syllabes.

giving dynamic to speech.

On a subconscious lvl, > knowing your subject,  & "don't really care for being judged" being self confident and moving.

this really help for a surface speech to be intrinsicly well directed.

I have always been a good speaker, but sometimes I m just too lazy to explain my mind to others, cause I m too much adhd for instinctive speech that I didn't prepare or see clearly in my mind, it can looks confusing and I can reword my self a lot.

Resume :

Find great speakers from all kind of background. ( EU, ASIAN, US ) / Listen audiobooks or content likes movies with well speeched actors.

- Tones ( low/high )

- Volume ( who are you speaking to, are their ears receiving ? )

- Rythm/dynamics

- Harmonic content, emphasis on syllabes

- Usage of words, don't over use words that no one can relate to ( depending the context )

( repeat or not repeat a sentence ) ( known words, specific words, value of a word, impact of a word, order of using words )

- Use silence to makes people allow space to reflect the words that have been said.

Bonus : undertanding music is a good way to improve aswell.

Maybe there is more, that's just some lead

Edited by Aeris

Join Toastmasters dude.  I'm planning on doing that asap.  Maybe we can join the same club here in the City!  PM me, we'll go together.

Videos on point to watch:

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor funny you mention toastmasters in the city. I lived a couple houses down from what I think is the main toastmasters in SF in Hayes Valley. I'm in Jersey right now though through the end of August/mid-September. Doing a job out here where hopefully I can earn and save up enough money to move out. We'll see though once I'm back!

4 minutes ago, kieranperez said:

@Joseph Maynor funny you mention toastmasters in the city. I lived a couple houses down from what I think is the main toastmasters in SF in Hayes Valley. I'm in Jersey right now though through the end of August/mid-September. Doing a job out here where hopefully I can earn and save up enough money to move out. We'll see though once I'm back!

I'm gonna join Toastmasters ASAP and probably go for the rest of my life.  

42 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I'm gonna join Toastmasters ASAP and probably go for the rest of my life.  

Have fun

@Aeristhanks!

@Shiva awesome!

Roger Love is the number 1 voice coach in the world. He has trained Tony Robbins and Michael Jackson. He has programs like 'Vocal Power' which literally go into every aspect of voice projection, tone, etc. Very useful, and also has daily warm-up exercises to strengthen your voice.