Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Annoynymous

Does personal development cure mental issues?

20 posts in this topic

Mental issues include anxiety, depression, addiction, fear of rejection and failure, PTSD etc

@Annoynymous

If the disorders weren't organic, then it certainly can. I have overcome depression, OCD, ADHD, and many past traumas.

If they were organic, I think it could help, but not ultimately cure.

@Annoynymous 

Organic means related to genetics, brain chemistry, brain injury, brain cancer, and physical health in general.

You're better off with a professional. 

Yes. But it's not easy. It's about the same as cognitive behavioral therapy. 

@Annoynymous Personal-Development is reframing your mind-set. I think "curing" mental health issues like PTSD, depression, anxiety disorders etc., may be a bit far-fetched for most, but PD certainly helps with changing how you see mental issues and yourself, making it easier to deal with those issues even upto where they don't bother you at all. This often requires hard work, and patience, depending on the individual.

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

1 hour ago, Annoynymous said:

Mental issues include anxiety, depression, addiction, fear of rejection and failure, PTSD etc

Do you have any mental health issues you'd like to overcome? I have a shit load. Just wondered what you had in mind? 

@Annoynymous Personal Development requires one to introspect on their issues and how they perceive it. To face your issues. Facing them isn't easy for somebody who is looking to cure it. Because they are already looking to run away from it. Imagine somebody telling you to stick your hand in a fire to get over having your hand burned off. The mind is one weird thing. 

When the mind is forced to face its suffering, it adapts and overcomes. And after you face it, it stops being something you want to avoid then boom its just.. Gone. How can you be anxious when you've accepted and are ok with anything that happens? Down to your being. 

Edited by Shadowraix

Yes I believe it can. Theres a wealth of knowledge and treatments. I think eventually youll be able to cure it

While I believe from my experience that meditation works for anxiety and depression, the path towards healing from meditation would he done by literally everyone if it wasnt difficult at times.  You will often feel worse because you have to confront a lot of stuff about yourself and that just isnt comfortable sometimes.  So if you can confront hard truths about yourself and are willing to feel uncomfortable at times, I think meditation can work, but if you cant do that because maybe its just emotionally too intense, I would seek profession help/therapy for mental disorders 

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

1 minute ago, zambize said:

While I believe from my experience that meditation works for anxiety and depression, the path towards healing from meditation would he done by literally everyone if it wasnt difficult at times.  You will often feel worse because you have to confront a lot of stuff about yourself and that just isnt comfortable sometimes.  So if you can confront hard truths about yourself and are willing to feel uncomfortable at times, I think meditation can work, but if you cant do that because maybe its just emotionally too intense, I would seek profession help/therapy for mental disorders 

He would still have to face them one way or another.

The good thing is that once they are (truly) faced, it's gone POOOOOOF

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Strategic adaptation. Our ability to change can be your enemy or friend. Take your pick ?

4 hours ago, Bill W said:

Do you have any mental health issues you'd like to overcome? I have a shit load. Just wondered what you had in mind? 

I have all of them i mentioned :(

3 hours ago, Shadowraix said:

@Annoynymous Personal Development requires one to introspect on their issues and how they perceive it. To face your issues. Facing them isn't easy for somebody who is looking to cure it. Because they are already looking to run away from it. Imagine somebody telling you to stick your hand in a fire to get over having your hand burned off. The mind is one weird thing. 

When the mind is forced to face its suffering, it adapts and overcomes. And after you face it, it stops being something you want to avoid then boom its just.. Gone. How can you be anxious when you've accepted and are ok with anything that happens? Down to your being. 

What do u mean by facing it? Suppose someone abuses me and i want to run away from him/her. So should i stick with him/her emen if he/she abuses me in order to face it?

4 hours ago, zambize said:

What do you mean by "hard truth about yourself?"

What do u mean by facing it? Suppose someone abuses me and i want to run away from him/her. So should i stick with him/her emen if he/she abuses me in order to face it?

Careful now. You can take any advice and apply it in situations where its not meant to be applied.

There is a careful balance in the relationship of the external and internal.

Regarding the internal you would have to deal with your feelings about the abuse you experienced and also the resentment you have for that person if applicable. Facing the trauma and working through those painful feelings is what will help you heal. Can also prevent future trauma from similar situations. (For example by being able to choose to not care about what people think you wouldn't be able to be abused by somebody using your social status to hurt you) The goal is for them to not be able to hurt you. Running away from your feelings is doing anything you can to not think about it and not feel it.

The external would be getting out of the abusive relationship. Even if the person can't hurt you anymore their dysfunction will not be pleasant to be around. And as you start maturing and raising your consciousness that low consciousness junk will not resonate with you at all. 

You want a strong mind so you can choose what you let through. But don't put it through shit unless you have to. 

Edited by Shadowraix

Soften them more and more as long as you keep developing.

If your mental issues aren't getting milder and softer during the months and years (long run) of self development - then you are not developing.

Edited by Nivsch

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!

3 hours ago, Annoynymous said:

What do you mean by "hard truth about yourself?"

Could be something you think about yourself, or some feelings you have about yourself that are emotionally difficult to accept.  It could be something along the lines of admitting you don't know half as much as you think you do, admitting you aren't happy, admitting you hurt people you claim to love etc

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows