Pouya

Can one put attention on absolute nothing?

32 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Pernani said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P-szUcfbMc&feature=youtu.be

Hey @Leo Gura what do you think abt this video? Ruper spira says that attention only serves as directing consciousness away from consciousness towards an object (breath, thoughts for example), in order for consciousness to be aware of consciousness attention has to stop, and that meditation techniques that require the focus of attention only serve to calm the mind and are only preliminary exercises. 

Doesnt this contradict what you said in your self inquiry video that one has to concentrate on pure nothingness? 

There's really no contradiction. Just different ways to phrasing the same thing.

Meditation techniques which focus attention are very good. I wouldn't besmirch them as merely "preliminary exercises." Self-inquiry is a concentration exercise.

It is also possible to meditate on nothingness. But it's an advanced kind of meditation which is not easy for most people to do because the mind easily clings on to some form. So instead most newbies are taught a technique like: focus on the breath.

It is possible to put your attention on Nothingness if you're very conscious. It requires taking your attention off of all form. Basically you're trying to become conscious of formlessness, Shiva, or the Godhead.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

don’t confuse nothing with nothingness you can see nothing without seeing nothingness. deep realisation of nothingness comes before the realization of nothing though. you can also meditate on dependent arising and letting go. you only need to ask one question deep enough, well you don’t even need to ask it, if you become the question.

I would not say put 'attention on nothingness' rather 'a rest in nothingness' or even better description of experience is 'rest as nothingness.' 

“The decisive question for man is: Is he related to something infinite or not? That is the telling question of his life. Only if we know that the thing which truly matters is the infinite can we avoid fixing our interests upon futilities, and upon all kinds of goals which are not of real importance. Thus we demand that the world grant us recognition for qualities which we regard as personal possessions: our talent or our beauty. The more a man lays stress on false possessions, and the less sensitivity he has for what is essential, the less satisfying is his life. He feels limited because he has limited aims, and the result is envy and jealousy. If we understand and feel that here in this life we already have a link with the infinite, desires and attitudes change.” - Carl Jung

Another way to phrase it is: put your attention on attention itself. What is pure attention devoid of all content?

Try doing that for a bit and see how it feels. Notice it's really hard to keep your attention there. The attention veers off within seconds onto some form. This kind of meditation requires serious concentration ability which most people do not have in today's media-saturated culture.

You need to be able to concentrate so hard you could burn a hole through brick wall with your focus. This is the key to accessing the deepest levels of spirituality.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Pouya One way you might come across nothing would be to say to yourself "Whats creating this present moment experience"? What could be the answer to the question if your entire reality is the present moment? 

Or maybe you should self inquiry of some sort. Like asking yourself "what am I?". What makes the thoughts that pop into you head different the sounds you hear outside? What are the origin of things you call yourself and the origin of things you call other? 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

On 4/8/2019 at 2:17 PM, Leo Gura said:

I am talking about ACTUAL nothingness, not any idea you have. An idea you have of it, is not it, and it will prevent you from accessing it. So be careful. DO NOT TRY TO IMAGINE NOTHINGNESS. That is a giant waste of time. It will not work and you will not even be close.

but rather, nothingness is what you ARE. You are it. It is your truest nature. So rather than looking for nothingness, look for what you are, your truest nature. When I say "you" I am talking to that nothingness you are.

?

DO NOT TRY TO IMAGINE NOTHINGNESS. That is a giant waste of time. It will not work and you will not even be close.

!

Edited by SOUL

@SOUL he is speaking of Being.

If you can experience pure Being even once in your life it will be wonderful beyond words.  Most of us are lucky to have it once.  But then..luck has nothing to do with it.  GOD doesn't roll dice.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

He who? Who he? @Inliytened1 The he you speak of didn't speak of being here not in spirit not in theory not even in word once in passing.

Nothing doesn't exist so what's to think about it and being doesn't require concentration to be, being transcends the activity of the mind.

Just be aware of presence in the moment....of being now.

All of manifest existence is ultimately a willful toss of the fated bouncing die with everything on the line and nothing in hand.

Edited by SOUL

13 hours ago, SOUL said:

He who? Who he?

Who let the dogs out
Woof, woof, woof, woof, woof

:)

@lmfao "What makes the thoughts that pop into you head different the sounds you hear outside?" 

Nice you got that from Alan Watts