EvilAngel

"Best Advice of Your Life" thread

14 posts in this topic

OK, I'm hoping many people will contribute to this thread, because I think it would be incredibly helpful to share our most memorable, insightful pieces of advice we've received from mentors, parents, teachers, friends, enlightened masters, whatever. It could even be something you read. Then I'd like you to tell me how this piece of advice has influenced the way you live your life. This should be good! :)

I'll start:

I remember when I was about 6 years old and I was lying on the couch with my mother sitting beside me and she said: "Throughout your whole life you will create many monsters. They will try to destroy you. Eventually you will learn to show them unconditional love and they will hold no power over you.". At that age, I took it literally as if I would make monsters out of playdough or something, but as an adult I can see she was talking about integrating the shadow self. So, there are many undesirable aspects of myself that I have created and that have caused harm, but I will always remember the profundity of what she said and know that I can love all the aspects of myself, whether they are beautiful or ugly.

Edited by EvilAngel

Whatever you resists persists. It's so true it hurts.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

If an advice is less than 100 pages long, take it with a grain of salt

And yeah Im aware of the irony

10 hours ago, Commodent said:

Whatever you resists persists. It's so true it hurts.

Make sure you don't resist the hurt ;) 

13 minutes ago, Hansu said:

If an advice is less than 100 pages long, take it with a grain of salt

Really? 100 pages sounds like a lot of advices, not one advice. I think there's a lot of useful advice that isn't longer than a sentence. The nuance and context is for oneself to figure out.

6 hours ago, Markus said:

Really? 100 pages sounds like a lot of advices, not one advice. I think there's a lot of useful advice that isn't longer than a sentence. The nuance and context is for oneself to figure out.

What I meant was to not take advice with face value and take everything with a grain of salt. As you said, to figure nuance and context. Its newbie self-developement realization I made a few weeks ago and just felt like sharing.

100 pages was intended overkill

Edited by Hansu

"No techeque. Simply inteligence of life." This is about making descisions.

This is an answer to every damn situation that could happen in life ever....

And embodiment of this is enlightenmemt in many ways..

Questioner: what should we do when someone wants kill our family, should I remain a good person and stay away or shoukd I become a killer and kill the enemy. What is the right descision.?

Answer:

This answer applies to every descision in life.

Edited by Salvijus

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer" - Albert Camus 

Reading this I realized that life isn't lived outside in but inside out.

"Life is a school, take the curriculum". 

"Wherever you go, there you are".

"Where the sun is, darkness cannot be. Where the mind is (past or future), reality or Now cannot be."

"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."

" Life is Leela. It is a play. And the moment you are ready to play, you are enlightened."

"Little insight that changes the wind in the sails a bit, is a long  change over time."

"If we only wanted to be happy, it would be easy; but we want to be happier than other people, which is almost always difficult, since we think them happier than they are."

"The slower you go, the faster you get there."

9 hours ago, Rebec said:

"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."

I like that one especially! 

?

Less is more, more is less. You need to know how to use this properly.