ahmet sukru

does psychedelic causes flashback?

21 posts in this topic

Hi, 
I read a lot about psychedelics, both positive and negative to see each side. 
There is a common rumor that says psychedelics can cause flashback even months after you use it.
Is there any solid evidence about it? or is it just a myth?

4 hours ago, Nahm said:

@ahmet sukru Flashbacks are a phenomenon yes, but reality only appears to be consistent. 

I couldn't get what you mean :)

What do you mean by a flashback? If full-blown trip then obviously no, there isn't anything like that.

But there are certain elements of experience like moving patterns, altered thinking or synesthesia. They are non-intrusive and happen mostly in a relaxed state. Those can persist for a few months. We are talking about it happening 3-5 times during that period.

If you are serious I wouldn't even take it into consideration when deciding whether to do psychedelics or not, but it's good to know that something like that can happen and is normal.

13 minutes ago, Girzo said:

What do you mean by a flashback? If full-blown trip then obviously no, there isn't anything like that.

But there are certain elements of experience like moving patterns, altered thinking or synesthesia. They are non-intrusive and happen mostly in a relaxed state. Those can persist for a few months. We are talking about it happening 3-5 times during that period.

If you are serious I wouldn't even take it into consideration when deciding whether to do psychedelics or not, but it's good to know that something like that can happen and is normal.

Oh, I see I couldn't explain my question fully, my bad. 

I don't talk about the trip, I mean after the trip (maybe after several months) suddenly you experience a flashback out of nowhere (for example while driving a car) because of the change on your brain chemistry. (which sounds ridiculous to me) 

Also I listened a lot or scientific talks but none of them talks about this. But since I saw it several times, I wanted to ask. 

17 minutes ago, ahmet sukru said:

Oh, I see I couldn't explain my question fully, my bad. 

I don't talk about the trip, I mean after the trip (maybe after several months) suddenly you experience a flashback out of nowhere (for example while driving a car) because of the change on your brain chemistry. (which sounds ridiculous to me) 

Also I listened a lot or scientific talks but none of them talks about this. But since I saw it several times, I wanted to ask. 

He answered exactly that.

3 hours ago, ahmet sukru said:

I couldn't get what you mean :)

The question comes from the perspective that this is “normal” or consistent reality, and a trip involves hallucination - and so the question is - Does hallucination happen after the trip is complete. But this is not “normal” reality, it is a hallucination, and it is only appearing to be consistent  when taken for granted (laws of physics, etc). It’s actually a perfect being, and consistency is not a given. Reality does not “follow” any rules, being appears to. This appears to you as such if you are a person who is in reality. But you are reality.   How much does reality love you (might come to mind)? A lot. 

Ha! We aren’t talking right now, it just appears that is happening. You’re talking to your self. I’m your illusion. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

1 hour ago, ahmet sukru said:

He was talking about after the trip.

You never said what you mean by flashback. What is a flashback?

You won't re-experience you tripping while sober.

I'd say worst case you might encounter a tracer or 2 that resembles a trip or some odd color contrast.

If you are talking about HPPD which is rare, thats a different story.

22 minutes ago, Nahm said:

The question comes from the perspective that this is “normal” or consistent reality, and a trip involves hallucination - and so the question is - Does hallucination happen after the trip is complete. But this is not “normal” reality, it is a hallucination, and it is only appearing to be consistent  when taken for granted (laws of physics, etc). It’s actually a perfect being, and consistency is not a given. Reality does not “follow” any rules, being appears to. This appears to you as such if you are a person who is in reality. But you are reality.   How much does reality love you (might come to mind)? A lot. 

Ha! We aren’t talking right now, it just appears that is happening. You’re talking to your self. I’m your illusion. 

Okey I get it now. 

Maybe I will get it more after a few trips :)

3 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

He was talking about after the trip.

You never said what you mean by flashback. What is a flashback?

You won't re-experience you tripping while sober.

I'd say worst case you might encounter a tracer or 2 that resembles a trip or some odd color contrast.

If you are talking about HPPD which is rare, thats a different story.

Actually I don't know exactly what "they" mean with flashback but since they use that word like something dangerous, it should be something like sudden appearing of visuals from your past out of nowhere

3 minutes ago, ahmet sukru said:

Actually I don't know exactly what "they" mean with flashback but since they use that word like something dangerous, it should be something like sudden appearing of visuals from your past out of nowhere

Sounds like a minor version of HPPD. But HPPD is more chronic.

Its a risk you'd have to take but such occurrences are pretty rare compared to the amount of people who do psychedelics.

I've probably had 30+ trips at the age of 20 with my highest doses being 1500ug and came out with no side effects.

Edited by Shadowraix

@ahmet sukru

It depends on what you mean by "flashback". Once a mind-body gets exposed to various realities, integration can take place. For example, a classic effect of psychedelics is to enter nondual mind states. Later while sober, the mind may re-enter a nondual state. This can be unsettling to novices because the ego is dissolving while sober, which can induce anxiety. For example, I was in a cafe and started experiencing a collective consciousness and it felt like I was losing control and I didn't know what would happen. Would I start yelling? What if I threw my coffee at someone? This induced quite a bit of anxiety as I struggled to regain control. Yet with experience, I've learned to flow with it - in and out of nondual states. 

Regarding hallucinations, I occasionally have slight visuals when looking at certain things. For example, a tree swaying in the wind. Yet, I like it. I just smile and observe. On rare occasions people can develop HPPD which are unwelcomed visuals like seeing dots. My understanding is it takes a lot of tripping to be at risk. Especially if one takes extremely high doses like 10 hits of LSD. 

2 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Regarding hallucinations, I occasionally have slight visuals when looking at certain things. Perhaps a tree swaying in the wind. Yet, I like it. I just smile and observe. On rare occasions people can develop HPPD which are unwelcomed visuals like seeing dots. My understanding is it takes a lot of tripping to be at risk. Especially if one takes extremely high doses like 10 hits of LSD. 

I have a friend who actually enjoys his HPPD haha says the world looks far more vibrant and interesting that way. He would even trip just to bring back the symptoms.

13 hours ago, Shadowraix said:

Sounds like a minor version of HPPD. But HPPD is more chronic.

Its a risk you'd have to take but such occurrences are pretty rare compared to the amount of people who do psychedelics.

I've probably had 30+ trips at the age of 20 with my highest doses being 1500ug and came out with no side effects.

Ohh.. 1500ug sounds crazy.
I tried 250ug once, it was very nice experience, but I didn't get so much from my subconscious mind, neither see hallucinations or reached deep problems.
My senses changed pretty much and I perceive things so differently, and I got a little profound awareness of wild side of me (human nature) like our ape times, I felt how trees are alive and connected to nature, but that's it.
Do you think I should increase the dose to go deeper?
(btw I'm meditating for 1.5 years and aiming personal developement by this. also I think I'm well prepeared psychologically)

Edited by ahmet sukru

13 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

@ahmet sukru

It depends on what you mean by "flashback". Once a mind-body gets exposed to various realities, integration can take place. For example, a classic effect of psychedelics is to enter nondual mind states. Later while sober, the mind may re-enter a nondual state. This can be unsettling to novices because the ego is dissolving while sober, which can induce anxiety. For example, I was in a cafe and started experiencing a collective consciousness and it felt like I was losing control and I didn't know what would happen. Would I start yelling? What if I threw my coffee at someone? This induced quite a bit of anxiety as I struggled to regain control. Yet with experience, I've learned to flow with it - in and out of nondual states. 

Regarding hallucinations, I occasionally have slight visuals when looking at certain things. For example, a tree swaying in the wind. Yet, I like it. I just smile and observe. On rare occasions people can develop HPPD which are unwelcomed visuals like seeing dots. My understanding is it takes a lot of tripping to be at risk. Especially if one takes extremely high doses like 10 hits of LSD. 

Thanks for explanation. Do you think those things you mentioned could be dangerous -for example- while driving car or doing something like that?

22 hours ago, ahmet sukru said:

Hi, 
I read a lot about psychedelics, both positive and negative to see each side. 
There is a common rumor that says psychedelics can cause flashback even months after you use it.
Is there any solid evidence about it? or is it just a myth?

@ahmet sukru I'm honestly a little scared to use them because I have a past of mental illness. But I'm also a major survivor, part of the way I am I feel like I can adapt to things much better. I trust what leo says about psychedelics though. There's no way he could be right about so much and be wrong about this one thing. I have a good feeling about them. Conceptually, I know that psyc's disrupt the input-output signals of perception and exposes the screen in which we live (for a while). You distort the picture, you see the actual screen.

You can have PTSD from bad trips and but being back in an altered state without a drug? Nope.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

33 minutes ago, Aaron p said:

@ahmet sukru I'm honestly a little scared to use them because I have a past of mental illness. But I'm also a major survivor, part of the way I am I feel like I can adapt to things much better. I trust what leo says about psychedelics though. There's no way he could be right about so much and be wrong about this one thing. I have a good feeling about them. Conceptually, I know that psyc's disrupt the input-output signals of perception and exposes the screen in which we live (for a while). You distort the picture, you see the actual screen.

Which mental illness did you have?

4 hours ago, ahmet sukru said:

Ohh.. 1500ug sounds crazy.
I tried 250ug once, it was very nice experience, but I didn't get so much from my subconscious mind, neither see hallucinations or reached deep problems.
My senses changed pretty much and I perceive things so differently, and I got a little profound awareness of wild side of me (human nature) like our ape times, I felt how trees are alive and connected to nature, but that's it.
Do you think I should increase the dose to go deeper?
(btw I'm meditating for 1.5 years and aiming personal developement by this. also I think I'm well prepeared psychologically)

The higher you go the more profound it can be, but please do go up incrementally. The higher the dose the more energy you'll have to put in into handling the trips. I didn't ego death until my first and only 1000ug trip. It was intense and took a lot for me to handle I saw things I couldn't comprehend. It's not for the faint of heart and the risk for larger doses is higher. What it showed me is I had a lot of mental resistance to such insights I had to brute force it.

If I were you if less than 500ug isn't doing it for you I'd put more effort into deconstructing the mind and meditation. The further you get along with this the less lsd it should take for such insights or even ego death to come to you. 

Also if you can, watch a sunset with clear view on lsd. It will be a beautiful experience for you. It blew my mind. 

Edited by Shadowraix

20 hours ago, Shadowraix said:

The higher you go the more profound it can be, but please do go up incrementally. The higher the dose the more energy you'll have to put in into handling the trips. I didn't ego death until my first and only 1000ug trip. It was intense and took a lot for me to handle I saw things I couldn't comprehend. It's not for the faint of heart and the risk for larger doses is higher. What it showed me is I had a lot of mental resistance to such insights I had to brute force it.

If I were you if less than 500ug isn't doing it for you I'd put more effort into deconstructing the mind and meditation. The further you get along with this the less lsd it should take for such insights or even ego death to come to you. 

Also if you can, watch a sunset with clear view on lsd. It will be a beautiful experience for you. It blew my mind. 

Thanks a lor for your suggestions. I will definetely follow them