Omni

At What Point are Addictions Purged?

10 posts in this topic

Is there a point up the spiral in which you purge most to all of your addictions or is there no inherent relativity between the two?

I'm sure people will jump to say 'they're purged when you're enlightened' - but let's put that one aside for conversation's sake.

Very little if any relativity. Enlightenment / awakening experiences help some with addiction, and others not at all. The simple commitment and follow through with daily practices is imo the most effective tool. In truth though, they’re purged when you say they are. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Addictions require an energetic exchange. The more attention and interaction you give them the more powerful and entrenched they become. One conscious act that you can do in this moment if you have enough clarity is not to engage with the mindstuff of the addiction. That would include thinking about doing the addiction, shame or remorse after acting on the addiction, fantasies about the object of addiction. This in not exactly what you are asking but it is a tip for the here and now.

I think there might be a danger in thinking that  some stage of enlightenment down the road will cure me of my addiction. That might be the ego's way of holding on to it.

For example, if you are an alcoholic you can say that your addiction is over when you can drink without slightest fear of relapse, and then actually not relapse and not even want to.

Addiction heals when you heal the reason behind it. Usually it's things like oral fixation, neediness, internalized shame, suppressed anger and fear, in short - suppressed needs and emotions.

@Omni There's going to be addictions possible at all/most of it since it's a model of the mind and the mind always has attachments/needs/shadow issues etc. 

@Omni To me it seems mind-body dynamics and resonance evolve as I head up the spiral. Many habits / addictions I had were neuroses that got deconstructed as I spiritually matured. The neurosis kinda dissolved. Yet, there have also been new habits that have arisen that I would say are associated with some discomfort.

The problem for me seems to be finding out the reason behind it. Meditation sure gives me flashbacks sometimes. Trippping too.

What else?

They're purged when you decide to quit.  There is no mystery here.  What helped me quit addictions is to understand the harm I was causing to my health and to watch someone in my family actually suffer the consequences.  You can hear all day long that alcohol and smoking are bad for you, but when you watch someone get a real diagnosis, that puts everything into a different perspective.  It's like, "oh shit, this stuff actually does cause harm".  It's gotta resonate like that for you.  Nobody wants to get cancer or cirrhosis of the liver.  But that's gotta become a real possibility to you before your Ego-Mind gets scared enough to quit.  It's your Ego that quits when it gets a strong reality check.  See, the Ego is all about survival.  Once that survival is palpably threatened, you're be amazed how easy it is to quit an addiction.  What you need to do is understand the risks you are subjecting your health to, and to realize that those risks are real, they're no joke.  it's not just hype.  Smoking, drinking, being overweight, having high blood pressure -- all these have very real survival threats to your life.  Being overweight and having high blood pressure causes a lot of preventable heart attacks and strokes.  And don't think you need to be obese for weight to affect your health -- just having a belly alone on a guy can be enough.  That pot-belly that a lot of guys have is enough to put you at risk of lot of things.

Edited by Joseph Maynor