SelfHelpGuy

I don’t understand how to be myself!!

8 posts in this topic

So long story short, I’m an entertainer on YouTube & Live-streaming.

The common advice we all hear is ‘be yourself’ & to be honest, when I see other content creators who really seem genuine and ‘themselves’ it’s great to watch.

BUT, if I decide to just “be myself” on stream and in videos, will this actually grow me or make me complacent?

I’m already a little charismatic & energetic and  I’d like to ramp it (also eventually with all areas of the authentic self model) BUT when doing that it comes across as disingenuous, fake & inauthentic. Not only do I feel this myself but it comes across on the videos.

How do I grow/develop my PERSONALITY but also BE MYSELF  so I can feel authentic when creating content but still grow my ego healthily.

Link to my channel for reference - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4yhzvFgI7bffdXpWLuZ8wg

Really appreciate anyone who can shed their thoughts on this.

I struggled this for a while too. I came to realize that the way to be authentic is to stop feeding inauthentic behaviors. Inauthentic behaviors include seeking approval of others and trying hard. A spiritual teacher once told me that everything everyone does is either a cry for love or an act of love. Do the things you enjoy, not the things that will get you noticed. Authentic motives include curiosity, passion, responsibility, love, care. You grow by learning to live more authentically. Get clear on what really matters.

I observe whether the underlying motivation is need-based or is transcendent of personal needs.

Personality seems comfortable, not lacking in energy, and genuine, even warm, imo. Content wise, consider reaction vs creation to bring more of what’s in your personality into your channel.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

You cant decide to be anyone! If you think youre faking it then youre still you but with a fake twist. Just keep doing what youre doing. :)

Again... You cant be anything but you...

Dont look at me! Look inside!

20 hours ago, SelfHelpGuy said:

I’m already a little charismatic & energetic and  I’d like to ramp it (also eventually with all areas of the authentic self model) BUT when doing that it comes across as disingenuous, fake & inauthentic.

This is just a model, but it might be helpful to think about it like this:

Authenticity comes from grounding. You want to do the kind of spiritual work Leo talks about to make sure you're not "trying" for an outcome and coming off as fake.

The more grounded you are, the more energy you can put in to "ramp it" without it coming off wrong.

From the little bit I watched, I think you're pretty good though.