Gladius

Keeping a job I hate

24 posts in this topic

I have a very good job in terms of salary, stability and working hours, but I don't really enjoy it (I know I'm supposed to love and accept everything in the world, but you guys know what I mean). This job is absolutely unrelated to my life purpose. The "only" thing that brings me is money, and the confidence of being in demand.

Lately I have been combining it with some training in my life purpose, but I have the feeling I need to fully focus in my creative project to make it happen.

Now, the problem is that this situation kinda happened already twice in my lifetime: 

Hated the job => trained in this creative domain => failed to get income => went back to my former work sector.

I think I learned from my past mistakes, since this time I have more momentum if that makes sense. I guess I only need some final advice or encouragement here.

Thanks Leo and everyone, long life to Actualized.org.

When I was young always studied careers that were creative, fun, but never could work in the sector, the same as you.

Now I accepted is like a lottery finding the job you love, so my future strategy is to have a part time shitty job that allows me enough free time to devote to my passion as a hobby. If i have succes and I can win some money with it, great! if not, ok too.

@Moreira So you come from the very oposite situation than me. I'm wondering how much real can this LP thing get. In reality it looks like we gotta choose, either money or fun xD

@Gladius  I'm in the same situation! Working at the job that is not related to my LP. 

But it kinda motivates me to work on my LP even harder so I can get out of this job. 

Don't try to become a Buddha. Just be yourself. That is the Buddha.

Bliss out to LeakyBliss ? ➡ https://bit.ly/2Ld2QOC

Listen to this audiobook by Shawn Achor, even the most uninspired jobs can contribute to your life purpose; 

What work in the creative domain have you tried and failed at?

@Be Yourself @Rebec The problem is I can't help thinking I'm wasting my time every second there. At the same time I don't want to be so naive to quit my job without anything secured yet, even if I could afford it for one or two years.

@Girzo Screenwriting. 

And you work currently as a copywriter? Just guessing for fun. :)

If I were you I would try to make connections with some actors or producers. You know, simple networking. Get a job, maybe not related to screenwriting, but in the industry, so you can immerse into that environment and find more oppurtinities.

The best option would be to study some successful screenwriter's biography and see how they did it.

@Girzo No, I'm working loading containers on vessels. !00% unrelated. But it gives me some good money and more free time than other jobs. Thanks for the advice though, I'd say I'm already in that networking stage :)

@Gladius

21 hours ago, Gladius said:

The problem is I can't help thinking I'm wasting my time every second there

That is my point, learn from the tools in book Happiness Advantage, apply to your current job. Because there is no such thing as luck and creating new opportunity when you don't feel happiness. People tend to overlook opportunity when they describe their jobs as not usefull or unforfilling. Job satisfaction can be created in your mind regardless if its brings no satisfaction at all. 

That doesn't mean you need to be bound to do this job untill your retirement. It means making the best of your current situation untill your find something better to replace it with.  

Don't believe that having or creating your ultimate job is the most forfilling thing there is all the time and every day. Every job has its up and downsides;  if yin gets bigger, so does yang ;)

@Rebec Thanks! I do get your point, and you're probably right. I understand happiness is a choice. I think the title I chose for this topic is misleading... I think I learned to accept that job, I'm just wondering now if quitting and using that time and energy for the training and projects I'm really burning to do wouldn't be wiser.

Why not do what you want to do in your free-time and juggle both until your preferred one becomes viable to profit off of?

A lot of people who do YouTube for example start it as a hobby and only quit their job when they can live off it.

@Gladius Try to get a part time job that will allow you to develop your venture while still making money.

If you don't decide to do that, then all I can say is that if you want to make sh*t happen you just gotta make it happen, even if that means losing sleep to have time to work on your project. Check out Gary Vee

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

@Shadowraix because I'm working on different shifts. That means I'm working different shifts, including night (from 10pm until 6am). That makes it difficult to have consistent productive habits.

@VictorB02 In this case it's more about connecting with people, which I can barely do at the moment since I have no time. 

@Gladius do you think you could do your LP from anywhere in the world or do you have to be in hollywood or some other place to network?

If you can do it from anywhere, here is what you do:

1. You save as much money as possible

2. In your free time you look for a remote job on a part time basis. Probably something like a virtual assistant. It doesnt have to pay much. $10 an hour is plenty

3. You buy a plane ticket to some cheap ass place like philippines where you can live comfortably off less than $500 a month. This means 50 working hours as an assistant or even less concerning you have saved up.

4. You work on your LP.

Edited by Krzysztof

57 minutes ago, Krzysztof said:

@Gladius do you think you could do your LP from anywhere in the world or do you have to be in hollywood or some other place to network?

If you can do it from anywhere, here is what you do:

1. You save as much money as possible

2. In your free time you look for a remote job on a part time basis. Probably something like a virtual assistant. It doesnt have to pay much. $10 an hour is plenty

3. You buy a plane ticket to some cheap ass place like philippines where you can live comfortably off less than $500 a month. This means 50 working hours as an assistant or even less concerning you have saved up.

4. You work on your LP.

How do you stay in Phillipines long term if visa only allows 60 days?

1 hour ago, Hello from Russia said:

How do you stay in Phillipines long term if visa only allows 60 days?

As far as i know you can cross a border every 60 days and come back. Idk, you can fly to vietnam or thailand in the meantime and go in circles

@Krzysztof Thanks, but for my intentions I do need to live at least in a big city. Connecting to people is basic to succeed in my life purpose...

@Krzysztof big enough to be a cluster in film production, so at least + 1 million people (in Europe). Nah don't worry, I wrote this post in a bad day. I'll stop bitching and keep working :) Thanks though!