theking00

Is leo enlightened?

18 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Sahil Pandit said:

What does it mean to be? 

What does "it" mean?

But don’t we need to know what criterion we are looking for to classify something?

You wouldn’t classify something as cannabis without having some criteria about what cannabis is.

You wouldn’t classify something as a giraffe without having some criteria about what a giraffe is.

But then we ask is so and so Enlightened and we don’t even know what Enlightenment is or what criteria to measure it by.

It’s like asking, Is John Doe boobelyboobely?  How the hell would we know?  You don’t even know what boobelyboobely means?  You gotta know with a certain degree of definiteness what the category is to even be able to assess whether something fits that category or not.

A snake is not a human.  How do we know that?  Because we have pretty clear criteria for what a snake is and what a human is and we can readily discern whether an animal fits one category or the other.  An anaconda is an amazing animal but it’s not a human, we can see that without a second thought.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

6 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

But don’t we need to know what criterion we are looking for to classify something?

You wouldn’t classify something as cannibus without having some criteria about what cannibus is.

I was just referring to this meme: https://memeguy.com/photos/images/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-good-person-23656.jpg

To answer your question:

According to the Buddha enlightenment is the end of all suffering.

Edited by Sockrattes

@Joseph Maynor Attained complete liberation from the illusory nature of the ego.

But let's be real here Joseph : after more than 10k replies, I would've thought you'd know better about what this forum means when referring to enlightenment.

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

8 minutes ago, FredFred said:

@Joseph Maynor Attained complete liberation from the illusory nature of the ego.

But let's be real here Joseph : after more than 10k replies, I would've thought you'd know better about what this forum means when referring to enlightenment.

I’m not so sure about that anymore actually.  I think Enlightenment is a notoriously unclear concept, yet people talk about it pretending they understand it clearly.  I’ve been around long enough to realize that.  Do I get a cookie hehe?  I’ve never seen people spend so much time preoccupied with something that they don’t fully understand as I have with Enlightenment.  And I’m a fan of Enlightenment Work, so don’t get me wrong.  It’s a little bit tricky though.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

2 hours ago, theking00 said:

enlightenment=God 

What is God?  What’s the criterion for something to fit the concept of God?  See, you just pushed the issue from one vague concept to another vague concept.  What if I said Enlightenment is boobelyboobely.  You wouldn’t buy that right?   Somebody is gonna go around proselytizing that Enlightenment is boobelyboobely now haha.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

To be honest we will never know  what god or consciousness is .

Edited by theking00

Hmm...I don't suspect one who is fully enlightened will be the one to claim they are enlightened. neither do I suspect they will give themselves such a loud romanticized label.

Many egos want us to think we are "enlightened" so therefore they make these claims, when in all actuality this idea tends to fall into one messy paradoxical trap.

Edited by VioletFlame

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

1 hour ago, theking00 said:

To be honest we will never know  what god or consciousness is .

If you think this way, probably not.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

No

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.