Lynnel

Why is working so hard ?

13 posts in this topic

I don't quite understand why doing any work related task is emotionnaly painful and hard.

Like writting a research paper and coming up with ideas is extremely complex and hard and requires a lot of emotionnal labour. Writing a book too. This is most likely gonna sound completely absurd but why is working so hard ?

Is it because the process is hard because it gives a great reward or because there is some of my psychology that is making it needlesly hard to some extent ? Is resistance to your work making it harder to do and more painful ?

Just my two cents but that's a deep issue to cover since well you need to work a LOT to realize your life purpose and I'm struggling a bit with that. How do you make your work more enjoyable (not pleasurable etc) - how do you suffer trough your work ? Any tips ?

Work is easy for me once I get into the “flow state” (there are many articles and videos on how to do this, I’d suggest looking it up). I also aligned myself with a job where I get to be creative, and that’s something I love to do so even when I’m staying late and drowning in tasks it still doesn’t exactly feel like “hard work” to me because I’m in the flow.

It’s also important to watch your thoughts. If you truly believe doing work like writing a book is difficult and miserable, it probably will feel difficult and miserable when you do it. If you believe “writing books is challenging but fun” the process will probably feel much lighter and simpler even though it’s still time consuming work.

Edited by zenjen

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

As the king procrastinator I think I have an answer to the topic. First the human body from my understanding has been designed over our evolution to preserve our energy and thus our lives. Doing work that isn't "needed" is harder to do. Also if you've had a lot of emotional baggage from childhood or other events you may have an even tougher time doing work. I am lazy and have not had a good time growing up, so I haven't had that had that going for me. Though it isn't a valid excuse to procrastinate from my work. I recommend beginning a habit of doing work at a certain time and place to help with the "flow state" zenjen mentioned. Also a youtube channel named Thomas Frank may help you out better than I can. Just don't use it to procrastinate :)

Because you apply meaning to it. Once youve applied meaning you applied ego aka resistance. Frivolous activity on the other hand isnt hard, if you can make everything play you wont ever ”work” again but that requires years of actualization I believe.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Anything that has your emotional attachment to it will be draining when it does not go as you want and you need to put effort. 

Edited by purerogue

1 hour ago, Rilles said:

Because you apply meaning to it. Once youve applied meaning you applied ego aka resistance. Frivolous activity on the other hand isnt hard, if you can make everything play you wont ever ”work” again but that requires years of actualization I believe.

It just requires a child mindset I believe 

25 minutes ago, Ayilton said:

It just requires a child mindset I believe 

Thats a part of Self-Actualization, watch Ten Things You Dont Know That You Want :P

Dont look at me! Look inside!

11 hours ago, Leon_Mao said:

First the human body from my understanding has been designed over our evolution to preserve our energy and thus our lives.

Yeah I know but that doesn't sound exactly right. Aka if you really love doing something you come into a flow state and you're not bored by using energy up.

I mean I feel like I need to find some mental blockages that are tied to work and that make it harder to work. Or maybe I'm just having some ego backslash recently and that's why I feel unproductive. Who knows.

Loving doing it and being attached emotionally are 2 different things, you can love doing anything, but not be attached.

It is when you get attached and want only your way of outcome and things do not want to go your way when it becomes draining. 

Edited by purerogue

Work is hard because we are not conditioned to work anymore. Hard work is relative isn't it? Our ancestors had to work extremely hard to survive but we don't. Our bodies simply output the required energy to survive and anything above and beyond is hard. 

Get the #1 Productivity Hack for 2019 (That no one knows about) Get it Here!

Is not hard to work, is challenging to work around dormant folk, that is it. The dormant tend to mess things around too much in their bs thinking all the time. So being the reason i retired to a minimalistic lifestyle :) Can't stand anymore being bossed by someone or trivial opinions, gossip and mockery. We all been through labour jobs i think.  

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

First thing, life is hard by design. Take up any new hobby and you will find that it's hard. Second, all aspects of life become easier the more skilled you become. The key is to commit to something until you learn the skills and develop the strength to become engaged in whatever you're doing.

Work seems hard if it's something you have to figure out every step of the way, there's no clear map to completion, and you only progress after you keep making mistakes and learning from them. 

Work seems easy if it's just doing simple repetitive tasks, or following clear instructions telling you exactly what to do and how to do it, along with being given all the necessary tools you need; like assembling furniture.