EternalForest

Using anger as a healing emotion

9 posts in this topic

In the latest video anger was brought up as a counter intuitive concept, that anger was just the denial of hurt. But a lot of people use anger as an outlet to express their pain in music, writing and fighting (for sport), among other ways. Anger can often be translated into power and beauty and studies have shown angry music to actually be a healthy and healing outlet. While I do think it's valuable to understand that anger could be the denial of pain, I don't think anger should be written off entirely as an unhealthy emotion, as I do think it can be healthy and constructive to "let it all out". What do you guys think?

To me personally anger is just resistance to what is.

I don't get full blown angry but I do have the odd minimal frustrations which I think is angrys 'little sister'. 

Whenever I feel frustration of any kind I use it as a guide, as a portal to my thoughts. How am I resisting what is? The rest takes care of itself. 

I also think Leo got it wrong ...All emotions have a purpose even anger ! If we direct our anger we can be far more effective in our life. 

Repression is not the way . A lot of people repress it ! thats the other side of uncontrolled anger ! 

We have to understand and re intregate this emotions it serves a function in our psyche 

@EternalForest

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

This is a great video that showed up in my feed that showed up in my feed yesterday, definitely worth the watch. I think you might resonate with it.

Edited by zenjen

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

Anger is just the recognition that something is wrong and that I have to do something about it.
The problem is that anger has the ability to consume us beyond this basic recognition and entrance us to the point of blindness.
Letting be consumed by anger creates a habit that is strengthened each time something is wrong and it becomes more and more difficult to lose its grip. Not only that, but we often hurt others, which makes them want to retaliate. That creates a cycle of anger that is not easily broken.

Anything that can be done in anger, can also be done while being calm.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

1 hour ago, zenjen said:

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

Interstellar ??

It seems anger boils down to "I'm not being treated right" a.k.a. "I'm not getting my way".

Rather than repress anger or express it in a "healthy" way, why not get the the root of the anger? - which is most commonly based on self-centeredness, insecurity and survival.

With that said, I've also experienced stored subconscious memory tension in the mind and body. For example, during a shamanic breathing session, all this childhood stuff about being hyper-criticized by my father started boiling up. I was just a kid, yet got criticized over and over again for not doing it right. This continued with hyper-critical girlfriends into my adult life. All those punches were absorbed in my mind and body and I never realized how deep it went until I started doing shamanic breathing. That stored tension started seeping out of my body. The breathing took over and the body was breathing itself. A mix of frustration, anger, compassion and sadness oozed out through clenched fists and tears. In this respect it was a healthy expression of the underlying issue. Yet, if I went around expressing anger at a surface level, it just isn't healthy and makes things worse.

@EternalForest

Anger is a mechanism that reduces fear, so when you are fearful one way to overcome it immediately but temporarily is to be angry, now think what that does. Anger brings  a whole bunch of problems to the table that weren't there before, then once your anger is no more, fear kicks back in and now you have fear +more problems to handle.

It's just a shitty strategy.

self acceptance would be the superior way to go about eliminating fear.

Edited by Mezanti

Sometimes is useful. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.