Manjushri

Which ancient Greek philosophers were enlightened?

24 posts in this topic

I see a lot of consciousness monism/non-dualism in the early Westerners. 

I dont think they knew about enlightement they came to same realizations with mind but couldnt make it tengable..

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

Heraclitus, Plotinus, Epicurus, Anaxagoras, Anaximander, Diogenes, Pyrrho

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Not Greek but I would also like to throw out Marcus Aurelius. Read Meditations after getting some traction in consciousness work and you see what he's saying in a whole new light

@kieranperez i doubt he was enlightened he was talking about peac e of mind different from no mind

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

Which stage in spiral dynamics do you guys think Marcus Aurelius was at?

Just now, MM1988 said:

Which stage in spiral dynamics do you guys think Marcus Aurelius was at?

Probably Blue, you can be very rigid and dogmatic about Stoicism. :P

Parmenides argued as follows: "What-is-not" does not exist. Since anything that comes into being must arise out of "what-is-not", objects cannot come into being. Likewise, they cannot pass away, because in order to do so they would have to enter the realm of "what-is-not". Since it does not exist, "what-is-not" cannot be the womb of generation, or the tomb of that which perishes. The "no-longer" and the "not-yet" are therefore variants of "what-is-not", and so the past and future do not exist either. Change, then, is impossible.

Equally, his argument continued, multiplicity is unreal, because the empty space necessary to separate one object from another would be another example of "what-is-not". And since things cannot be anything to a greater or lesser degree (which would require "what-is" to be mixed with the diluting effect of "what-is-not"), the universe must be homogeneous, a single, undifferentiated, unchanging unity. Also, it must be finite and spherical, for it cannot be in one direction any more than in another (and the sphere is the only figure of which this can be said).

Thus, by a strictly deductive argument, Parmenides asserted that change is impossible, and that coming-into-existence or ceasing-to-exist are likewise impossible, so that everything that exists is permanent, ungenerated, indestructible and unchanging.

Leo majored in this shit i believe, he would know.

Edited by Tony 845

In Absolute Infinity Pt 2 Leo mentions alot of Old School Mystics including the ones i wrote above

@MM1988 Blue going on yellow. But in all seriousness, probably yellow, just in a blueish culture. 

He did a lot of thinking, like a lot about many kinds of "systems" related topics (science, philosophy, human nature etc.) and he was very aware of his role in life, which seems like a very stage yellow kind of mentality. Self awareness about the role that you fill, he thought a lot about virtue and morality etc. as many of the roman and Greek philosophers did, but he didn't try to push it on everyone, and instead mostly just treated people kindly and kept his judgement to himself. Many emperors used their role to impose their will and belief's on everyone they ruled over but he was more reserved, and was known for not abusing his great power. All these things seems very characteristic of stage yellow. He stands in contrast to many emperors who showed their true, red, colors when given power. 

@Pharion He mustve been a fringe-example because Yellow didnt appear as a meme until maybe 50-100 years ago. I acknowledge fringe cases. :P

6 hours ago, NoSelfSelf said:

@kieranperez i doubt he was enlightened he was talking about peac e of mind different from no mind

THAT is why you deem him to not be enlightened? LOLOL

@Rilles Not familiar with the "meme" terminology, and i'm going off of Leo's stage yellow video when I say that about him. I do know a good about Marcus though, and his mind set seems to line up very much with stage yellow. I mean philosophy itself (not the 2logical4u kind, but humanistic / re philosophy) seems like a pretty stage yellow thing itself, no?  

I would put the question differently: "Which ancient Greek philosophers knew that they were enlightened?"

Please do not pay attention to my empty words if you are following Leo's teaching !!
Sometimes my empty words may appear too negative, too rational, too irrational, egoistical or even like trolling because my path is a non-path and is nothing but deviation and incompatible with all teachings known.

2 hours ago, Pharion said:

@Rilles Not familiar with the "meme" terminology, and i'm going off of Leo's stage yellow video when I say that about him. I do know a good about Marcus though, and his mind set seems to line up very much with stage yellow. I mean philosophy itself (not the 2logical4u kind, but humanistic / re philosophy) seems like a pretty stage yellow thing itself, no?  

these are the real Memes, not the funny internet pictures ;)

74896C93-5A16-4882-A2A5-39671C5F00DD.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Pharion said:

@Rilles Okay, so synonymous with stages? 

In this case you can use the words interchangeably yeah.

D551FE61-0D6A-415D-AF60-94ABC477EB39.jpeg

I would vote for Heraclitus. The "everything flows" and "you never step twice into the same river" guy.

Maybe Socrates, who knows. 

And definitely not Marcus Aurelius.