kieranperez

Is this a good plan?

17 posts in this topic

Okay. So I'm living at home at 23 right now and trying to figure out a way to first get out of here. I really don't want to keep working in low end retail jobs where I'm only being paid $13 p/hour here in San Francisco where it's impossible to get hours. I feel like the longer I've been doing this the more I've gotten comfortable doing this. I know @Leo Gura has suggested before that it might be worth picking up a valuable skill like programming and working in that domain for a bit because my metta plan is to eventually renounce and pursue full enlightenment and God and surrender everything and then come back (I don't want to go into the full details of that since that's a whole long forum thread in itself but if you want to know my rough plan - read the monk memoir in the booklist in the enlightenment section). I'm on Lynda.com right now and looking at all these courses and I know it's a good resource but the reality is - despite the fact that I'm committed to renunciation and doing this down the road and God is what I really want (to be my real offering and service to the world when I come back to serve my real hero's journey) - I'm not turned on by any of this stuff. I'm moving into Stage Green now where I've been craving to be more artistic and free from this left brained approach to work. Right now I really want to get more life experience, travel, invest in my own self-education since I didn't have that in college (particularly since I dropped out after Freshman year), etc.

Could really use some outside opinions on this. I also don't want to have a business right now to start because I think that'd be too much on my plate emotionally more than anything. Also because I don't want to invest in just some bullshit business that I'm not clear on or don't give a shit about. I feel like I'm being idealistic but the authentic motive and intuition is there. I just don't want to plug myself into this pragmatic system doing hyper left brained work. 

6 hours ago, kieranperez said:

Right now I really want to get more life experience, travel, invest in my own self-education since I didn't have that in college (particularly since I dropped out after Freshman year), etc.

I read this and thought: Get a backpack and go travelling, working just the bare minimum to get by. Take a long adventurous "vacation". You have nothing going on in you life right now, there won't be many opportunities when dropping out of society is so easy. You're young and you have no idea who you are and what you want to do. No pressure to become a runner, programmer or monk as fast as possible, man. When you're tired of travelling and self-education and the various kind of experience, then you'll know why you want to earn money. 

Why not? 

(Note that I never did that, I'm being a hypocrite here :D But I do regret not having the courage.) 

6 hours ago, kieranperez said:

I know @Leo Gura has suggested before that it might be worth picking up a valuable skill like programming and working in that domain

Aha that's the reason why people in this forum come up with this silly idea! Thanks 

FYI: 99% of you don't want and need programming skills. Go fuck a tree.

EDIT: Answer the following question?

What's the thing you do without noticing the huge amount of time passes.

That's the thing right there you need to pursue.

Edited by non_nothing

3 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

I read this and thought: Get a backpack and go travelling, working just the bare minimum to get by. Take a long adventurous "vacation". You have nothing going on in you life right now, there won't be many opportunities when dropping out of society is so easy. You're young and you have no idea who you are and what you want to do. No pressure to become a runner, programmer or monk as fast as possible, man. When you're tired of travelling and self-education and the various kind of experience, then you'll know why you want to earn money. 

Why not? 

(Note that I never did that, I'm being a hypocrite here :D But I do regret not having the courage.) 

How am I supposed to travel, self-educate with no money? Plane tickets, places to stay, other travel expenditures and books, courses, etc. don’t pay for themselves. And where do you suggest one goes once they’re done traveling? Just show up back home with still no basic plan of action? 

2 hours ago, non_nothing said:

Aha that's the reason why people in this forum come up with this silly idea! Thanks 

FYI: 99% of you don't want and need programming skills. Go fuck a tree.

EDIT: Answer the following question?

What's the thing you do without noticing the huge amount of time passes.

That's the thing right there you need to pursue.

I don’t understand your answer.

2 hours ago, ajasatya said:

@kieranperez this movie presents a realistic way to gtfo of the daily slavery. it shows how very simple work can be used towards liberation.

I’ll check it out

@kieranperez Excuse my temporary rage fluctuated upon the response to your thread. Basically that thing aside, I asked you "What's the thing you do most of your time, that you can't tell in the end how the time passed so quick? Can you spot one-or-two things" to guide you for a potential yielding answer.

11 minutes ago, non_nothing said:

@kieranperez Excuse my temporary rage fluctuated upon the response to your thread. Basically that thing aside, I asked you "What's the thing you do most of your time, that you can't tell in the end how the time passed so quick? Can you spot one-or-two things" to guide you for a potential yielding answer.

• Don’t know what you could possibly be “enraged” about my post
  • Are you asking what do I with my time that I feel deeply fulfilled by where time just feels like it flies by? I can’t understand based on the way you’re writing

2 minutes ago, kieranperez said:
  • Don’t know what you could possibly be “enraged” about my post
  • Are you asking what do I with my time that I feel deeply fulfilled by where time just feels like it flies by? I can’t understand based on the way you’re writing

There're none about your thread. That's my overall attitude.

Question is clear. Repeatedly read it over until you understand.

4 hours ago, ajasatya said:

@kieranperez this movie presents a realistic way to gtfo of the daily slavery. it shows how very simple work can be used towards liberation.

is that movie in spanish? I don't speak it haha cause I'm looking it up now

1 minute ago, kieranperez said:

is that movie in spanish? I don't speak it haha cause I'm looking it up now

yes. you're going to need subtitles.

unborn Truth

3 hours ago, non_nothing said:

There're none about your thread. That's my overall attitude.

Question is clear. Repeatedly read it over until you understand.

I can imagine your answer being of value only if you are assuming people actually do anything worth their time in the first place. There's for example plenty of people who spent the time apart from their job or education simply watching television or netflix series or random youtube recommendations or anything else which distracts them- time flies by for sure! But is watching television worth pursuing? 

Wait for 20years for AI to come, then everyone will be unemployed :D

Edited by Salvijus

On 24.10.2018 at 6:24 PM, kieranperez said:

How am I supposed to travel, self-educate with no money? Plane tickets, places to stay, other travel expenditures and books, courses, etc. don’t pay for themselves. And where do you suggest one goes once they’re done traveling? Just show up back home with still no basic plan of action? 

Yes, it's not the brightest idea. Many people has tried living like that while working seasonal jobs and it always ends with some kind of depression after years.

But you can make it work if you are okay with a very slow lifestyle and working shitty-paying, but low demanding jobs, like camp cleaning.

Another option is to become a freelancer, graphic or web designer for example, you will have more money and time. Here's some info about starting an internet-based bussiness: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/how-to-learn-code-start-a-web-company-15k-per-month-within-9-months.69971/

Some people can become successful with documenting their journeys on YouTube and Patreon, which is quite comfortable. But more often it doesn't make enough money.

You can find your niche and become a guru in it. I like bicycle touring a lot and sometimes watch a guy named Darren Alf. He travels on a bike all year round and his source of income is blogging about bicycle touring. You can replicate that bussiness model in niche for which there's no-one yet creating quality content.

You can also pursue Enlightenment hardcore and learn marketing, so you become popular, so you can travel and hold retreats in many different parts of the world.

Edited by Girzo

@kieranperez As a fellow human being with idealistic tendencies, I think I understand where you're coming from. These are my thoughts on the matter... if they resonate with you, cool. If not, forget about them.

• Everyone is dealing with something in their lives that they believe is blocking them from getting what they want. But what they think is blocking them is not really what's in the way. I'll give yo an example. Right after I graduated a few years ago, I landed a full time job in engineering. But I hated everything about the job. The people, the work, the hours, the town. Everything. The one thing I wished I could do at the time was leave everything behind and go on a long term road trip. I would look outside from my cubicle and wish that I was breathing that fresh air and enjoying the sun. I would fantasize about the places I would go to and the people I would meet. Guess what, eventually I ended up getting laid off. I had saved up some money; I had a car; I had a dog who loved adventure. But I spent my time bartending a few nights, sleeping, watching TV, and being bored. I never even left for a week. I know you mentioned that you eventually want to renounce everything to seek enlightenment/God and I respect that. But what I would ask you is, what do your days look like? Do you meditate and do yoga every single day? Do you read? Do you go to events that could potentially help you in your journey? Or are your goals just fantasies? Maybe, like you said, you are too comfortable. This is just for you to reflect upon. 
  • I know how tedious and boring the day to day life can be. In my case, I tend to use ideas, books, and inspirational material on the internet to escape the 'messiness' of life. But I am starting to see that there is much wisdom to be learned from the things you do everyday. By engaging full heatedly with whatever is in front of you, you can make your life joyful and a practice of meditation. Not to be too poetic but this very moment you're in is as good of a time as any for a hero's journey. 
  • "Either you change or you postpone the change. If you HAD to change, you would have changed already. Any sort of reflection or processing you do prior to making a change is often the ego's way of delaying the change. Processing is something you do after changing in order to integrate the new data." This is something I learned from a spiritual teacher called Bentinho Massaro. 
  • You are young. You have a lot of room for error. If there was a good time for you to make stupid decisions, this would be it. Of course be responsible, but don't be too cautious either. 

Edited by IJedi

Also because I don't want to invest in just some bullshit business that I'm not clear on or don't give a shit about.

@kieranperez You're like me man. I've been, and in many ways am still in the same space as you.

What I realised is that I was living in some bullshit fantasy world. I lived up in my head as an intellectual, trying to grow myself mentally.

I felt like shit for years because of this, still do a lot. It's a slow and tough journey.

But what I know makes me feel good is just doing actions. You say you don't want to do the work, the business, the actions. But have you ever tried it?

In my experience, you're building an identity for yourself around stage green and being enlightened to run away from doing the real work.

But not only is doing the work the most fulfilling part (just get some small successes) but it's where you'll get the growth your looking for.

You've been drifting for years, maybe based on your intelligence and overall level of development if your anything like me.

How about try DOING for the next 3 years and see how that tastes!

Based on the other conversation around trauma we were having, you're basically trying to come up with reasons why you're not or don't want to take action. The simple matter is. You can do something if you decide. Just do it, man!

My recommendation is, you're like me, too intellectual and in your head and trying to solve problems in your psyche and body and soul and hoping to see that manifest in the world. Just manifest it in the world and watch the issues drop away!