CroMagna

How To Become A Web Developer

11 posts in this topic

So I finally found the perfect career for loners: web developer.  Only 21% chance of automation.  Long hours spent working in front of the computer, building websites (which I think I would really like).

I have a BA in English and a few years of proofreading experience.

What's my next step?

Edited by CroMagna

It depends what you mean by 'web developer'. Are you planning on learning Front-End Development or Back-End Development? Is there a specific programming language/framework you want to work with? 

I'd say your first step before you start learning web dev is to get a proof of concept. You want to prove to yourself that the work-from-home idea is real for you, and not just an idea. 

You already have writing and proofreading skills, so why not start there? Can you find small freelance writing or proofreading jobs and get paid for them? 

That should be your first step before you spend the next 1-3 months dabbling with new skills. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't learn web development, but you'd be better off working freelance with skills you already have, and then learning new ones as you're getting paid by clients. 

If you don't give a fuck about the above information, here's where you start: 

1) Learn HTML5. 
2) Learn CSS3. 
3) Learn JavaScript. 
4) Install Wordpress and prepare yourself for all the plugins you're going to have to familiarize yourself with. 
5) Go to a freelance job website (Upwork, Peopleperhour, Freelancer, Fiverr, etc.) and set up your profile. 
6) Bid on jobs. Send proper, quality proposals. 
7) Communicate with clients and get hired. 
8) Learn while you earn (sounds great until you realize that you have to learn how to navigate around all the damn plugin conflict problems that arise when you try to build websites). 
8) Complete job, get paid, and hopefully get future work from the said client. 
9) Raise your rate as you accumulate more positive reviews. 
10) Eventually get to a point where you have long-term clients, or that clients come to you. 
11) <3

I've linked this to you before and I'll link it again. It's a course which basically covers how to start a freelance business online: 

https://courses.ndoherty.com/freedom-business-builder/

Whatever you decide to do, bonne chance. 

Hi,

If I may throw some light in this discussion. I personally think that today to do profesional web development you have to work with a lot of different technologies and I dont think there is a 1,2,3 plan that can just do. Another added problem is that things change so fast that you are just constantly learning new things. 

Never the less if you still would like to pursue this line of work I think its a great choice.

Lets say that most web sites or web apps are divided by the frontend which is either an html/mobile app/javascript app/etc piece of software. Then you have the backend which is where the actual application logic is executed.

For frontend these days you need to "know" what Rookie talked about. HTML, CSS, Javascript and on top of that there are frameworks like Twitter bootstrap, JQuery, SASS, Angular, React, Vue, etc.

For the backend you have other choices like Java (Spring, etc), ruby on rails, php, .net, etc. Other things you need to know are databases, Oracle, MSSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc. Basic SQL knowledge will get you by.

I am only talking about the most known frameworks, services and technologies. So you can imagine how this gets out of hand.

Another thing you need to know is about source control which is how you keep control of you're code. This is done through a service/app called GIT.

Finally, to work in most companies you will have to learn Scrum and/or Kanban which is a work methodology use in almost all software dev places today.

Hope that helps.

@CroMagna Sounds like your criteria for selecting a career are extremely shallow.

But if you really want to do it: Lynda.com

PHP & MySQL are two the most versatile and well-paid web skills.

A good web developer needs to know HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, MySQL, and Linux web servers.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@CroMagna

Find a course in your area, take the course. Now you’re a web developer.

The thing that I think is more important here is if “being a loner” is what you really want to base your career on. Or is that just a path of avoidance?

Do you want to be employed, or start your own bussiness?

Thanks everyone.

@Rookie, I suppose I could try freelance writing and proofreading instead.

@Leo Gura, if you have time, I would appreciate some ideas on what good criteria are for selecting a career.

Why limit yourself exclusively to web development?

For me personally web dev is a major cluster fuck of technologies and consistently shifting design standards and its more of a headache to keep up with than other parts of programming. But I have a bias for game programming.

Also have mercy on your soul if you intend to use PHP for all of your projects. The design of that language is so so painful to look at.

Who thought global namespaces was a good idea?

I'm not a web-developer, but i'm familiar with the field.

• Start with understanding of the web in general:
    whats a server, or a client? 
    what is front-end development? 
    how it differs from back-end?

• Move to HTML 5 and CSS:
    Learn the HTML frameworks, DOM, how to style properly and build a static web-page

• Start playing with JavaScript:
    Learn JS frameworks, HTTP POST and GET requests and build interactive web-page. 

• When you are comfortable with all of the above, pick ONE specific back-end framework/language and be good at it:
    JS - nodeJS
    PHP
    C# - .NET
    Python - Django
    RubyOnRails
    etc.
    This will also require you to learn mySQL or other databases, but that's part of the framework.

It may seems like a lot, but its not rocket science. In my opinion, Web-dev market is actually saturated. You might want to really develop those skills deeply, and go beyond, to distinguish yourself from others. 

And do a Google search on road-map to becoming web-developer, you will find more material than you can handle.

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune

@CroMagna ive been working at home since 2010 and never looked back. I started working as a web designer at a design studio to learn the basics once i felt comfortable and got some experience i worked freelanc  with some clients i got from internet. Then i quited my job and made some wordpress themes at themeforest then i found my true pasion was to make videogames so i started making my own videogame as an indie and now i only follow my passion which is anything related to videogames . Tip: you habe to be always learning and loving doing it.

best of lucks

6 hours ago, CroMagna said:

@Leo Gura, if you have time, I would appreciate some ideas on what good criteria are for selecting a career.

That's addressed in the LP Course.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.