MarkusSweden

What's the easiest way to end mental masturbation?

49 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@tsuki If you self inquire why you felt attacked (there is no assertion), then you can liberate. A ‘personal attack’ wether passive or blatant, is a gift to help you realize the internalization  / identification of your own false understanding. 

To 'me' that felt attacked? No.
The gift was the attacked 'me' for the embodied self-awareness to unpack.
The feeling was just the paper that I found myself wrapped in.

Thank you for your question.

@Nahm Are you willing to find your answer as you wrote it within my answer as I wrote it?

I can see agreement between us.
There is a clue in my signature.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@Serotoninluv that's a good way of phrasing it. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

7 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Faceless got under my skin when he first came around

?

1 minute ago, lmfao said:

@MarkusSweden close mouth and meditate. You'll realise that there is nothing that you know. 

Hey buddy, I been here for a long time now, writing over 1000 posts, and you tell me that I know nothing??

All my conceptual mapping of reality/truth that I cling on to might be worthless if I stop watching videos and stop reading forums posts and go into a meditative state instead. Are you sadistic, you want me to go into a state where I find my conceptual map to be something other then the territory? That would cause me suffering.   

As long I'm not aware that my inner bank of spiritual knowledge is no 'real' knowledge then I don't have to face if this was wasted time. I can continue to believe in it and prevent me from getting hurt.

If I go in to a meditative state and end all electronic equipment I might see the pointlessness of all the conceptual spiritual work I've done over the years, and just view it as mental masturbation, that would give me an awful feeling of wasted years, might even cause a depression. 

Why risk a depression? You want me to have a depression? 

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

27 minutes ago, Faceless said:

As in Observation of fear (awareness) ? 

@Faceless Bingo. That is what Observation of fear feeds on.
This is what keeps it in motion.

As I write this sentence, it ate itself, as it implied that it fears fear.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@Nahm Let's just keep being presents for each other to unwrap :x.
There is unity in the mutual friction of the Ego.

Edited by tsuki

12 minutes ago, tsuki said:

Bingo. That is what Observation of fear feeds on.

That is what passive awareness implies; continual observation of the movement of thought-psychological becoming, which implies all movement of time in action. (Fear) 

For me this awareness is unpremeditated and not exclusive. Implying no reaction-action(positive-negative) movement influenced by fear. Otherwise fear would evade itself. Self perpetuation, self feed⭕️

Edited by Faceless

@tsuki @Nahm also known as learning-awareness through relationship. 

Edited by Faceless

@SoonHei For me, an initial stage was to observe thoughts and realize I am not a thought. There is something aware of the thought. Yet, this awareness is no-thing. It is not any particular thing, so not a thing. My current stage is getting to know that awareness. Awakened beings I’ve listened to suggest the next stage is a realization that consciousness/awareness is everything. There is no separation. My mind likes to intellectualize it as a concept, yet I don’t experience it in my direct experience. I see me here and the table over there. 

I’ve found vision is overwhelmingly object-space oriented. However, I’ve found sound is MUCH weaker at this. 

For me, this has been a next step after I’ve had the witnessing of thoughts. The realization came with a bird chirp, yet works for any sound. 

One day while meditating, with my eyes closed, a thought arose in my mind and I obseved it. Then something else (a sound) arose in my mind and I observed it.  Prior to giving either of them any meaning, I noticed both appearances were remarkably similar. Like *really* similiar.  I saw how my brain was conditioned to define the appearance as a bird chirp that occurrd outside of my self. Yet in my direct experience, the appearance of the thought and chirp were both in awareness. There was no inside vs outside. When I let go and just observed the two appearances, it’s hard to observe differences. I need to *add* on meaning / identification to create the experience of relevance and separation. 

In a relative, personal world, thoughts about my career, life purpose, ethics etc will seem to have more relevance than a trivial bird chirp. Yet, if I really get down to their substance I sense something else.

I can enter this space only with sounds and my eyes closed in meditation. Vision has a much deeper object - space orientation. 

34 minutes ago, MarkusSweden said:

As long I'm not aware that my inner bank of spiritual knowledge is no 'real' knowledge then I don't have to face if this was wasted time. I can continue to believe in it and prevent me from getting hurt.

@MarkusSweden Huh, wouldn't the same be true for the person that meditated for 20 years?
Would that person be willing to start philosophizing?

Why can't we do both? Because we have to commit to either one, or the other?

3 minutes ago, tsuki said:

@MarkusSweden Huh, wouldn't the same be true for the person that meditated for 20 years?
Would that person be willing to start philosophizing?

Why can't we do both? Because we have to commit to either one, or the other?

true, a combination is probably the most beneficial. 

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

17 hours ago, Faceless said:

??

To focus on one part, (senses) is a movement of thought itself. As long as this exclusion is in movement so will be registration, recollection,(identification), thought-thinking, which is one and the same movement of the known-thought-thinker with its accumulation which it then creates questions and seeks answers. 

It is only with this accumulation-thought, that we invent questions and pursue answers to them. Self feeding loop. We invent and pursue what we invent.  “We” also be an invention of that accumulation. 

Yes I agree with what you are saying but how does that help the OP?

21 hours ago, MarkusSweden said:

Hey buddy, I been here for a long time now, writing over 1000 posts, and you tell me that I know nothing??

All my conceptual mapping of reality/truth that I cling on to might be worthless if I stop watching videos and stop reading forums posts and go into a meditative state instead. Are you sadistic, you want me to go into a state where I find my conceptual map to be something other then the territory? That would cause me suffering.   

If I go in to a meditative state and end all electronic equipment I might see the pointlessness of all the conceptual spiritual work I've done over the years, and just view it as mental masturbation, that would give me an awful feeling of wasted years, might even cause a depression. 

Why risk a depression? You want me to have a depression? 

@MarkusSweden you have asked "What's the easiest way to end mental masturbation?" yet your comment seems to suggest that you wish to continue willful clinging to mental masturbation because you will supposedly become depressed otherwise. You're probably only saying this because you already are depressed. Your question purports that you wish to end mental masturbation but this comment suggests the complete opposite. Which is it?

No way of ending mental masturbation is going to be easy on your ego, btw. Why do you want to end mental masturbation? Is it to improve yourself and decrease suffering? If you asked this question with the belief that ending mental masturbation would decrease your suffering, then why you do now say that ending mental masturbation will increase your suffering? It's up to you whether you want to continue clinging to concepts or not but I get the impression that you may be being dishonest with yourself in regards to what you want since you've demonstrated cognitive dissonance. 

I was suggesting that you meditate so that "you" can come to see the nature of thought. You don't have to end watching theory. Just take it with a pinch of salt and focus your efforts into doing consciousness work, is my advice. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

On 8/10/2018 at 0:46 AM, WelcometoReality said:

In each moment focus more on your senses than your mind.

13 hours ago, WelcometoReality said:

Yes I agree with what you are saying but how does that help the OP?

Just because this can perpetuate the false sense of division-duality. To put more emphasis on one sensation or another creates an imbalance in the necessary harmony needed to “transcend” that false division. 

If you observe very closely, you will see that when “the thinker” focuses on a particular thought, sensation, feeling, as a result of that there is an induced domination of one overactive sensation, feeling, thought, that imposes itself over the others, in which nourishes the movement of division-identification,(self). 

If you go into this very deeply you will see that to not sustain this movement of identification, there must be a total harmony between feelings, thought, and the senses.

To see the futility in contributing to domination of (the one, over the other), or (the one, over the others).

All this movement of exclusion, only perpetuates the movement of desire, (fear), in which is the followed pursuit of pleasure, searching for gratification, satisfaction, through the image we ourselves have invented, to capture and maintain a sense of psychological  security-satisfaction.

All of this preserves the division that the perciever is distinct from that which is perceives, which ultimately fuels mental masterbation, which could be said to be the product of compulsive thinking. 

Edited by Faceless

22 hours ago, MarkusSweden said:

That would cause me suffering.   

Suffering is just another road to growth, a very effective one when seen in the right light.

54 minutes ago, Dogsbestfriend said:

Suffering is just another road to growth, a very effective one when seen in the right light.

??

Or we could say ‘SEEING’ the futility in escaping suffering makes for healthy living. In the communion with what is, ultimately shines its own light of expressed intelligent living. 

(infinite action). 

Edited by Faceless