Why would anyone want enlightenment?

107 posts in this topic

I don't think you really know what enlightenment is. How would you define "enlightenment"?

You seem to lack real understanding on what it is, and this is the reason for you asking such questions.

"You give up your life" - still trapped in the belief that this life belongs to you. "I am this body" or "This life is mine" are thoughts that still hold you back. 

"Existence becomes totally 100% meaningless empty" - You talk like existence had meaning and suddenly it was stripped of any meaning. It's like you were lying in bed, after waking up and saw a beautiful woman in the corner of your room, calling you. You went there, and she started seducing you. Then out of nowhere, when you were going to get things with her, if you know what I mean, you notice she is only a mirage created by your mind. After this noticing, she disappears. Do you know say "Oh man, existence became meaningless and empty?" No, you realized that it was a freaking mirage that was seducing you into an illusion. Now you are free from the illusion!

Practice more mate, and you will see these realizations and truths by yourself!

@BuddhaTree ay bro. question

you realized that it was a freaking mirage that was seducing you into an illusion. Now you are free from the illusion!

so yay! i am free from the illusion - now there is nothing to do? there is just being now - to be. that's it? 

why realize this illusion if it leads to meaninglessness? 

wouldnt one rather stay in the illusion - better to live in the illusion as there is meaning at least

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

3 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

Don't create suffering in the world.

Hi Mike, thing is, suffering, imo, is caused by being stuck in the head. Identification with negative thoughts...the unhappy, "me". The circumstances of one's life, dont even have to be "that" bad, but if one believes the negative thoughts saying they are bad, then, boom...unhappiness...that can and eventually does, leads to suffering if there is no relief.

Reflecting at a later time about the degree of suffering that was apparently needed to propel one into awakening, did not "cause", the suffering. Identification with thought did!

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

4 hours ago, SoonHei said:

better to live in the illusion as there is meaning at least

"Stay here in hell, atleast there's meaning here, it's more safe" /the devil

I think the need for it will also disappear ;)

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

9 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

Nice video by Shanmugam! Boy, was he sweating his arse off though! ?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

5 hours ago, jse said:

The self wants to escape the self, as the self.

The fear wants to escape the fear, as the fear?

Edited by Faceless

I was the happiest person I had known my entire life to the point where people would constantly say that I was the most consistently happy person they had known until I found out about "enlightment" no joke, literally the discovery of this "enlightenment" has been the worst thing to ever happen to me lol

1 hour ago, 11modal11 said:

I was the happiest person I had known my entire life to the point where people would constantly say that I was the most consistently happy person they had known until I found out about "enlightment" no joke, literally the discovery of this "enlightenment" has been the worst thing to ever happen to me lol

Interesting ? 

Although you were happy, there must have been a sense of incompleteness or lack for your happiness to be "rocked" from finding out about enlightenment, right?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 no, I was extremely happy being uniquely me, not better or worse than anything just me authentically always and I had made a point to be as authentic as I possibly could to my resonance always living in the moment all day, then I started having mystical experiences and crazy synchronicities and amazing bliss non stop and literally it felt like I had superpowers because the universe started essentially delivering opportunities to me, which I started to research and learned was the law of attraction and high vibrations etc. I started leaning more and more about spirituality then found out about “enlightenment” which seems all about “you’re nothing not unique” etc and I started to feel bad and my quality of life diminished.

For example “life is suffering” never occurred to me It seems like enlightenment needs to make a point to make sure you hold that perspective which I never held and know that “you don’t exist and that life is stupid so why try “ seems to be a very depressing anti life philosophy. I never thought life had any inherent meaning before but always saw that as a positive, enlightenment at least how it’s presented here seems to want to make sure you see life as silly and something not to engage with. I could be misinterpreting thing but all this “kill the ego” “don’t feel special ever” talk is very depressing to me.

Essentially I pretty much always lived my life doing what I wanted and never caring about anyone’s opinion of me or what I was doing or how I was living and felt great. Then “Truth” or “real spirituality” or whatever seems to be presented by these gurus came with all the rules and “ego monitoring”, so at this point I’m gonna ditch it 

Edited by 11modal11

@11modal11 Conventional spirituality is crafted to have traction with a conventional human being. You are probably not one of them, so feel free to pick and choose the version that resonates with you the most. You already know how to be authentic - just listen to yourself.

Even though various versions of spirituality sound nothing alike, they all talk about the same thing from different perspectives. Suffering is not obligatory here. You may already have become enlightened prior to learning about it and simply gotten used to it over time. Can you pinpoint a moment in your past that dramatically increased your love and authenticity?

Matt Kahn may be a good teacher for you.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

38 minutes ago, 11modal11 said:

I could be misinterpreting thing but all this “kill the ego” “don’t feel special ever” talk is very depressing to me.

Western psychology’s aim is to fortify the individual’s ego so that he may become less neurotic, slightly happier and ultimately function ‘better’ in society. In the East, the goal is instead to dissolve the ego rather than strengthen it. 

Westerners cannot slap Eastern spirituality on top of a western ego and expect enlightenment. ~Carl Jung

If you want to become successful in a western society or materialistic society, eastern spirituality is not for you. We should not forget Rudyard Kipling, what he said has significance.

Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet

@tsuki interesting I’ll have to check him out. With your question I would say it was like 95% of the time. I was in college up until recently so I created my own bs major with bs classes like African music and pottery lmao and took only other classes with no tests and outsourced all the work online. I would just go around campus everyday blasting my favorite music or the gym talking with people I knew or random people gaining energetic momentum certain points  I was in so “rapture” I would call it and I felt unbelievable like I as some force was lifting out of my body and that did freak me out (I also drank caffeine all day so that contributed). Then like I said all these synchronicities started happening like people had an extra ticket to my favorite band or would give me free stuff I happened to have been thinking about. Ihad to figure out what was happening but I felt like I went too deep and now when I get excited or want to do something like work on my music or an online business around a passion or start fantasizing about amazing things or generally enjoying myself I hear Leo’s voice “oh that’s just your little ego, you should suppress it” or “oh is that something a stage x in spiral dynamics would do” Not anyones fault obv, I’m probably misinterpreting what he’s saying but whenever I start to get excited or want to do something for myself like I feel this “oh I’m not being spiritual, remember no ego” tug. Even eating healthily now my mind is like “well technically  this is a selfish, I’m a concept...I don’t exist..etc life is supposed to be pointless.” I do it anyway obviouslY and I know that’s not what he means but that anxiety is now there where it wasn’t before and I feel suppressed so I just have to stop looking at this kind of stuff lol.

@Mikael89 idk but identifying as God or everything feels very wrong where as seeing myself and everyone else as unique beings all connected and everything as god but respecting that uniqueness as sacred itself literally made me have crazy experiencess and feel like I was soaring out of my body haha

Edited by 11modal11

@Mikael89 and I’d argue that God (everything) isn’t unique as everything because to make that judgement it would have to be compared against something which it can’t ultimately 

@Mikael89 that’s what I’m saying, it contains the qualities so it can’t be that qualities, it only can be that quality as individual expression in relation to another individual expression

If you take a lot of these spirituality ideologies all the way and literally, they are anti-life. Now I’m not even saying there is anything wrong with that. But that definitely doesn’t feel good.