SBB4746

Jordan Peterson's Spiritual Awakening

11 posts in this topic

@SBB4746 Leo seems to disregard Peterson for some reason (and even go as far as judging him to be Blue), but I'm more cautious than that.
What I always find interesting about him is his persistence on treating good and evil as primary ways to orient oneself in the world.
His measure of the two seems to be utility, but I'm yet to see a video in which he goes in depth about what is the goal is he trying to optimize.

Well-being he often speaks about is such a broad term for me that it incorporates both pleasure and suffering, so it really is not a great way to give direction to life. Growth, for example is a dimension of well-being that is directed by suffering, so we cannot simply orient ourselves towards maximum comfort. Meaning, on the other hand is self-constructed and requires a discriminator on its own so that it can be used in the framework of utilitarianism. Given his outrage with postmodernists, he seems to be aware of that, but I haven't seen any videos with an explanation.

Peterson is a strange figure to me, but I respect the knowledge about Jung he spreads.
A popular conservative is a rare sight these days.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

I can watch an interview with Peterson for like 5 minutes and tell he's not deeply Enlightened.  But that's just me.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

He's obviously a very smart and well-intentioned man. I really love the hear him talk about mythologies and self-responsability. That's where he's the most effective imo. 

That said, he is easily triggered, whiny, often hyperbolic and very attached to his mental positions. A week with Eckhart Tolle would do him a lot of good. 

JP is a good man, but a flawed man. People who see him has a prophet who can do no wrong are not doing themselves any good. 

@Spacious What you said about primal therapy is really interesting - do you mind telling me what video Peterson talks about the malevolence in and what retreat you went on?

Yeah he does talk about a lot of things which I would agree with but there are times where he does talk shit. In the above video I laughed a little at around 5:20 where he says that god is masculinity. I guess that's why Leo has problems with him because can't transcend those stage orange biases.

He has not awakened in my opinion. His voice is not deep and harmonious. 

The awakened ones will be able to professionally sing and articulate a wide spectrum of sound tonalities. 

I love Jordan Peterson and what he's promoting. I think his materials are a practical guide for people to bridge the gap between being unconscious and finding spiritual enlightenment.  I feel like he is more spiritually connected than he's letting on, based on how often he talks about psychedelics :P

Im a big fan of Jordan as well. It´s really a shame he seems to have completely missed Buddhism / non dualism. He commented on it once if I remember correctly saying that Western religion is for a younger stage of life while eastern for a later stage. I can see his point. The younger stage being rules you need to follow and later stage you set your own rules (my interpretation). He does really need to experience and learn of eastern mysicism, buddhism etc in my ears.

15 hours ago, Quanty said:

He has not awakened in my opinion. His voice is not deep and harmonious. 

The awakened ones will be able to professionally sing and articulate a wide spectrum of sound tonalities. 

;)