Durka_Durka

Exciting jobs

27 posts in this topic

I am job-seeking at the minute because the last job I took, I quit in a month because it was extremely arduous, boring work for something I couldn't have given less of a fuck about. I'm trying to find jobs that are potentially exciting to me but I can't seem to find anything that actually is exciting. Do I have to take a job, just to take a job? I don't want to do that at all, but if I can't get an OK-ish job which is exciting then I don't know what to do.

Also should note that this is leading me to turning down offers from potentially ok opportunities but when I read them through, they just simply do nothing for me. 

Go to a restaurant :) they give you some of the most unique and useful skills and experiences anywhere!

As a hostess/server, you really learn how to be humble, because no matter how shitty the customer, they are always right. That is a pretty important thing to be able to handle. I've had all kinds of experiences lol from a guy throwing a pager at someone because of the wait to someone accusing me of sitting all the "black people" before him. The world is filled with crazy people and we need to be able to deal with them in order to really make it far. 

Also, the restaurant gig is great for making awesome connections. I worked in one of the top restaurants in my city and it was centrally located down town, so we got A LOT of regulars that were business owners for the big companies and Law Firms in the area. Because of my serving job, I met a great man that stole me away to become a receptionist for a pretty great Law Firm in the area :)

I truly do think that servers have the crappiest job out there because of the bad guests, but if you can survive that, you can survive anything! The good guest will always recognize your work and it will pay off if you just work hard and push through :)

In life, you can either have a job, a career or a vocation.

A job is simply a way to make ends meet and offers very little satisfaction to the worker. Sadly, most people have a job. Are you sure that's what you want?

The careerist derives meaning not from the nature of the work itself but the gratification that comes from advancing through the ranks and earning promotions and raises. However, once this forward progress stops, the careerist becomes unsatisfied and frustrated.

A vocation is work you do for its own sake. You are intrinsicaly motivated to do it. People who have a vocation believe that their work truly utilizes their unique gifts and talents. Now that's EXCITING!!! I seriously pinch myself everyday for having found my vocation. It's hard work, some days are rough, but words can't describe how amazing it feels to earn a living by giving your gifts to the world. 

So, what would you do if you had 50 million dollars in the bank?  I know it's a cliché question but seriously, what the fuck would you do with your time? What fascinates you? What are you uniquely qualified to do? 

Remember that you are going to be dead soon enough. 

Edited by martin_malin

@zoey101 See that sounds great for a decent little job to gain some skills but it's nothing that excites me, I'm talking more about what @martin_malin is talking about. Although being in my early 20's, I'm not sure if I have the right to be that picky

@martin_malin That is exactly what I've been looking for, something that I'd be into even if I weren't getting paid but everything that I can think of is stuff that won't earn me money now, which I want to do to move out and get my independent life going more. Once I'm there though, I want to be training to be life coach while getting some passive income streams going in my spare time. 

@kieranperez I have bought it and I tried to do it at university but I simply wasn't able to balance everything then. I definitely want to complete it, I just think it would be a good thing to do in my own house, on my own time, without having to have my mum and sister around.

It definitely sounds like excuses, I don't know. It's weird, I want to prioritise leaving home but I refuse to do a job that is making me hate life to move out and then I'll go look for another job anyway

@Durka_Durka are you into mathematics and statistics? have you ever heard of data science? that's what i do and i find it extremely challenging!

unborn Truth

@ajasatya No not really, I am a bit more of a creative without any developed creative talents apart from writing. I've written down a whole bunch of things that I enjoy doing and I realised a lot of them are things I can start doing immediately and possibly see where those take me. 

Essentially, if I were living by myself, I wouldn't find it as much of a problem because I can live on almost nothing. But I'm living with my mum and sister in a tiny little house and they are pretty detrimental to my growth. So I want to get out of here, but I can't do that unless I get a job. However, I'm struggling to find a job that I can enjoy. See the problem? xD

Jobs to work for other people, never helped the worker, ever. Maybe one will learn a skill, but deep down you get destroyed in the process. Following orders get one numb. 

1 hour ago, Quanty said:

Jobs to work for other people, never helped the worker, ever. Maybe one will learn a skill, but deep down you get destroyed in the process. Following orders get one numb. 

What do you think of having a job, as part of a spiritual practice ?

This means the work could be anything, from the most boring to the most exiting.

What matters is "presence" and interaction with others/environment.

Any job can be exciting depending on the person's interests. The job you find boring might be the perfect job for  another one. I honestly can't think of myself sitting in front of a computer and processing data on a million-sheet excel doc, but you should listen to my husband when he talks about it. He makes it sound like the most interesting, important job ever. For me it is teaching and writing. And I know some of my students just cringe at the idea of putting pen to paper, or are surprised how much I like teaching. Exciting is something personal.

In fact, your question defies itself. The answer is not here. Look inside. And you're yourself saying you're making excuses. Pretend to go to bed and meditate. Instead of hanging out too much in the forum go through the contents of the life purpose course. You will move out eventually, but you don't need to postpone everything until you move out. Do it now. It's doable. We're all doing it. You shouldn't be thinking everyone's being given everything on a silver plate. 

I suggest the Life Purpose Course simply because it'll give you that sense of certainty of 'this is what I want my life to be about' (not speaking in the absolute, as there is no ultimate purpose or meaning in anything in life). I'm not suggesting go take the life purpose course and then go all in on that right now necessarily. Believe me, I know how it is for you right now because I'm 23 years old living in San Francisco (the most expensive place to live and rent in the USA right now), am working part-time at retail job I fucking hate and don't make enough money to even move out or pay any of my bills. I literally have mental breakdowns most days to be honest because I know how it is to be doing work that when you're in the midst of doing it you're conscious enough to realize that it feels like you're pissing your life away doing something you hate. So I get you. 

What you have to understand though is that you can't usually just jump into a job you're passionate about, especially when you're not able to pay for yourself as it is. I know, it fucking sucks. However, this is also where 1. strategic thinking comes in, and 2. life purpose comes in. 

For me, I can't go straight into my life purpose right now. To do the things I want to do and live the life I want and make the impact I want to make on the world I need to do a lot of self-education, meditation/enlightenment work, get better with people, free myself from where I live and finally be my own man, etc. So what I may have to do I'm realizing now is go all in on a "passive income business" (in quotes because I know it's not as passive as is always imagined) and once I start earning enough I can move out, have the freedom I desperately need and want to live my life, work on myself, build my skills, and then transition out of this business that I know I probably won't be that passionate about at all and then move onto "the one". Life purpose helps because it gives you that clarity of what it is you want and then making that your ultimate strategic intent that you're working towards. 

@Pelin You're right, there is a part of me that is making all the excuses. And it's strange because I am focused on other personal development projects at the minute such as working towards getting up earlier every day, working through the 6 pillars of self esteem, building in meditation and journalling. But yeah the life purpose course is arguably more important than those, I think that once one of those is either done or second nature respectively, the life purpose course must come next. 

@kieranperez I get you my man. Sounds rough to be living in San Francisco, I hope you manage to get out of there soon. But you're right because I imagine your life purpose is what gets you through those mental breakdowns most of the time, right? It's cool to understand that there could be something that powerful to get you drive your life forward, I find I'm missing a lot of that myself personally.

@Durka_Durka I don't think things you mention are more important than the other. They are all intertwined, so working on self-esteem and your sleep cycle will definitely help you out on finding your life purpose. Don't forget we are all work in progress. Maybe working on self-esteem will motivate you to do the life purpose course more seriously. So my advice is, don't be harsh on yourself. You're doing a good job! But don't be too lazy, either. :) You'll know what the exciting job for you is if you keep on working on yourself. ;) 

@Pelin Thank you! :D I've been thinking a lot and I think I've found a happy medium. I will get a part time job. Which even if it isn't very good, it's some income and I will be working at a monetary net positive. However I will still have time to do things that I like and start doing other things that might be exciting for me. I think that's better than the all or nothing that I was thinking before. I'll still have time to do my personal work, as well as trying out other things that interest me. And you never know I may decide one day soon "Fuck it. I'm doing the life purpose course now" xD

I'm new to the forums. When I was in my early 20's, I also wanted a career that was exciting and not routine. I found it boring coming in to work, punching in a time card, and seeing the same folk's day in and day out. I wanted variety, with a sense of independence and adventure. I had a passion for aviation, and after some contemplation, I was going to go to school to become either an Aircraft Mechanic, or a Pilot. I took an introductory flight at my local airport on a warm summer evening one day in a Cessna 172 single engine propeller aircraft. It was one of the most meditative and exciting experience, in anything I have done prior to that. It really engaged all of my senses, and "put me in the moment". That feeling of just being focused on the task at hand, and having all of your other irrelevant worries behind is what I was seeking for in a job/career. I have been flying ever since that day, and I am soon to be starting training for larger aircraft at the airlines. Something to consider if you want to escape the mundane everyday 9-5 hustle. Other jobs/careers that I would consider: Paramedic, Firefighter, racecar driver, scuba diver, maybe a treasure hunter/blogger of some sort? So many options out there... good luck!

@sky_dreamer Yeah it's a good way to start at least, getting out of the 9-5 hustle, you've got yourself a good gig there it seems. I think if I were to start something like that it would be a side business, which gets me out of the hustle of being told where I need to be at what time etc. My mate and I have been talking about starting our own carpentry business which would be cool, I love he idea of making things and selling them