Dan Arnautu

Ramakrishna using the desire of food to prevent exiting the body

26 posts in this topic

Now this really piqued my interest.

Sadhguru said in a video that in the last years of his life, Ramakrishna used the desire of food in order to prevent consciousness from leaving the body.

What do you think of this? I don't see teachers like Adyashanti, Eckhart Tolle, Martin Ball or Shinzen Young having a problem with this, even though they are enlightened.

When would a worry like this arise on one's path?

Would the serious practitioners at some point need to start to consciously deploy effort in order for consciousness to not leave the body, at least until the work on earth is done? And how would one recognize such point?

Just some food for thought.

@Leo Gura Have you found something in your readings about this? I haven't read as many spiritual books as you have, so your insight might be helpful.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu I heard this from someone before, I still think it's as ridiculous today, as I thought it was then, for many reasons. It's just spiritual BS.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1  Thank you for the input.

I too have that feeling, but at the same time, after some deep spiritual experiences I've had myself, I can't call it total BS anymore. Yeah, from a materialistic paradigm, it doesn't make any sense, but after you go past that, it is totally in the realm of possibility.

This can also point us to Yogananda's mahasamadhi and mahasamadhi/mukti/nirvan in general as it is called in different philosophies.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

How can you exit the body? Who is exiting? Genuinely curious!

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Dan Arnautu

Hi, hopefully @Shanmugam won't mind, but in the thread he posted I found this from one of his posts-

"But the truth is, Ramakrishna just had a habit of reminding himself to drink water (not to eat food) to come out of samadhi. He used water to come down from Samadhi. Osho just exaggerated this and made it to a story, IMO. Also, Ramakrishna was fond of sweets (but was not really obsessed). Osho just mixed these two to make an anecdote. He was a great story teller and he always used to do this when he talked about any historical incident. In his anecdotes you will find his own screenplay and dialogues.. "

Author- Shanmugam 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Just now, Anna1 said:

@Dan Arnautu

Hi, hopefully @Shanmugam won't mind, but in the thread he posted I found this from one of his posts-

"But the truth is, Ramakrishna just had a habit of reminding himself to drink water (not to eat food) to come out of samadhi. He used water to come down from Samadhi. Osho just exaggerated this and made it to a story, IMO. Also, Ramakrishna was fond of sweets (but was not really obsessed). Osho just mixed these two to make an anecdote. He was a great story teller and he always used to do this when he talked about any historical incident. In his anecdotes you will find his own screenplay and dialogues.. "

Author- Shanmugam 

The story is just imaginary.  xD 

@Dan Arnautu Ramakrishna was actually in throat cancer and stopped eating 7 days before his death, not before 3 days. And the reason he stopped eating was because he couldn't eat at all because of cancer in throat. Sadhguru's content is mostly from Osho.  I have written about it here: https://nellaishanmugam.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/sadhguru-on-osho-the-two-diamonds-to-discover-your-inner-self/

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

31 minutes ago, Dan Arnautu said:

I don't see teachers like Adyashanti, Eckhart Tolle, Martin Ball or Shinzen Young having a problem with this, even though they are enlightened.

Master don't tell everything, they can tell lies out of compassion. People are already not interested in enlightenment, and if you tell them that this is going to be the reward , that you become enlightened and your fuse goes off , this may prevent even those few who might try.

@Shanmugam I think I'm starting to get it. Great to see all sides of this.

Although now I don't understand why Sadhguru would use such story. I thought he wanted to show that without Karma (as in the desire for food or something else) you can't keep the body any longer.

Now I'm a bit more confused even.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

3 minutes ago, Shanmugam said:

The story is just imaginary.

Ramakrishna loved all foods, not just sweets. Perhaps he experienced the divine through his sense of taste. Not strange. As food went past his taste buds and entered his stomach a sense of joy radiated and filled his entire body. Sometimes he would walk out of a gathering of disciples, run to the kitchen, smell or taste what was ready and dart back. His wife, Ma Sarada, at times felt embarrassed wondering what people would think.

http://www.bengalcuisine.in/ram-krishna (Dept. of Tourism, West Bengal)

20 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

Ramakrishna loved all foods, not just sweets. Perhaps he experienced the divine through his sense of taste. Not strange. As food went past his taste buds and entered his stomach a sense of joy radiated and filled his entire body. Sometimes he would walk out of a gathering of disciples, run to the kitchen, smell or taste what was ready and dart back. His wife, Ma Sarada, at times felt embarrassed wondering what people would think.

http://www.bengalcuisine.in/ram-krishna (Dept. of Tourism, West Bengal)

Is this a dejavu ? xD ... This has happened before in another thread and the link to that thread is already in this thread.

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

34 minutes ago, Dan Arnautu said:

@Shanmugam I think I'm starting to get it. Great to see all sides of this.

Although now I don't understand why Sadhguru would use such story. I thought he wanted to show that without Karma (as in the desire for food or something else) you can't keep the body any longer.

Now I'm a bit more confused even.

I think this will clarify your confusion: http://qr.ae/TUpkPK

Shanmugam 

28 minutes ago, Shanmugam said:

Is this a dejavu ? xD ... This has happened before in another thread and the link to that thread is already in this thread.

Lol! Not too mention you and I have also had discussions about this issue in the past..haha!xD When I saw you post I thought maybe your ears were burning. 

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Just now, Anna1 said:

Lol! Not too mention you and I have also had discussions about this issue in the past..haha!xD When I saw you post I thought many your ears were burning. 

Looks like Dejavu is happening again and again in this thread.xD You have posted this post twice!

Shanmugam 

1 hour ago, Dan Arnautu said:

Sadhguru said in a video that in the last years of his life, Ramakrishna used the desire of food in order to prevent consciousness from leaving the body.

Well, thats the problem with spiritual beliefs and dogma, people who have had an enlightenment experience or two are still not inoculated against believing all kinds of bullshit. 

Edited by White

source: cook-greuter.com 

7 minutes ago, Shanmugam said:

Looks like Dejavu is happening again and again in this thread.xD You have posted this post twice!

Lol! Really?

I only see it posted once... bizarre!xD

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Shanmugam hehe..weird

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 hour ago, Rilles said:

How can you exit the body? Who is exiting? Genuinely curious!

@Dan Arnautu

Who is there to die? who is born at all?
Kill the ignorance that hides like a wall!
From your damn body, who is there to leave?
Firstly, none entered; There's no point to grieve!

Don't trust anyone who has a long beard!
Don't trust the theories which sound very weird!
Don't trust those who do business with the one,
The screen called truth where all the objects run.

Shanmugam 

3 hours ago, Shanmugam said:

The story is just imaginary.  xD 

@Dan Arnautu Ramakrishna was actually in throat cancer and stopped eating 7 days before his death, not before 3 days. And the reason he stopped eating was because he couldn't eat at all because of cancer in throat. Sadhguru's content is mostly from Osho.  I have written about it here: https://nellaishanmugam.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/sadhguru-on-osho-the-two-diamonds-to-discover-your-inner-self/

You dont leave the body when you awaken...Do you? :ph34r: