kieranperez

Any good biography recommendations of (modern) sages?

38 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

Sadhguru: More Than A Life

by 

Arundhathi Subramaniam

https://www.amazon.in/Sadhguru-More-than-Arundhathi-Subramaniam/dp/0143421123

An account of a living realized being, a Yogi, a mystic, from the perception of a logical and contemporary mind with which we can very well relate.

This is awesome! Didn’t know Sadhguru had a biography! Definitely getting this! Thanks!!

Jiddu Krishnamurti (1895–1986) is acknowledged the world over as one of the most outstanding religious teachers of the modern age.

Watch full length video on Krishnamurti’s life

J. Krishnamurti was prepared by a great theosophical movement in every possible way to become a vehicle of Gautam Buddha. Certainly a few of the theosophical movement were aware of the wandering soul of the Buddha, and the time was ripe. Their understanding was: if Krishnamurti is perfectly ready intellectually and surrenders, the soul of Gautam Buddha will enter in him. He refused to surrender, and he told the gathering, "I am not going to be the vehicle of Maitreya Buddha."

My Experiments with Truth - An Autobiography by Mahatma Gandhi

42 minutes ago, Sage_Elias said:

My Experiments with Truth - An Autobiography by Mahatma Gandhi

Mahatma Gandhi was not a sage. He was a lawyer turned politician. Mahatma Gandhi is praised because he made nonviolence into a weapon, made it into a method of fighting. Many Indians consider him as a jerk and he was never known as a spiritually enlightened person. 

34 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

Mahatma Gandhi was not a sage. He was a lawyer turned politician. Mahatma Gandhi is praised because he made nonviolence into a weapon, made it into a method of fighting. Many Indians consider him as a jerk and he was never known as a spiritually enlightened person. 

Nonviolence is still a movement of violence.

To escape the fact of violence, and to create the idea of nonviolence, remains that which the opposite has been extracted from. 

Nonviolence is a creation of abstraction, a movement of thought. Thought is the root of fear, and fear is the root of violence. 

With all do respect, I do not know much about Gandhi, but i do understand violence. 

Edited by Faceless

2 hours ago, Prabhaker said:

2 hours ago, Faceless said:

Nonviolence is still a movement of violence.

To escape the fact of violence, and to create the idea of nonviolence, remains that which the opposite has been extracted from. 

Nonviolence is a creation of abstraction, a movement of thought. Thought is the root of fear, and fear is the root of violence. 

With all do respect, I do not know much about Gandhi, but i do understand violence. 

Stick to the subject of the thread.

@Prabhaker brought up an important point about nonviolence being a form of violence. 

I simply shared how nonviolence is still a form of violence.

To one who didn’t see that fact and now sees and understands it, makes it well worth it to me. 

You say...

42 minutes ago, kieranperez said:

Stick to the subject of the thread.

I say, it’s worth it to me to somewhat clarify on the the issue of “nonviolence” 

You can have your thread back. 

Edited by Faceless

OSHO: Autobiography

And OSHO: Meetings with Remarkable People contains about 40+ short biographies of all sort of sages throughout the ages. Worth giving a shot.

40 minutes ago, Girzo said:

And OSHO: Meetings with Remarkable People contains about 40+ short biographies of all sort of sages throughout the ages. Worth giving a shot.

That sounds like pure gold

Well, if you consider Terrence McKenna a sage, then this is definitely worth watching.

Here's a fake trailer:

Here's an actual movie:

Sri H. W. L. Poonja ; Hariwansh Lal Poonja; known as "Poonjaji" or "Papaji" was a teacher of Self-enquiry as advocated by Ramana Maharshi.

Some well-known students are Mooji, Gangaji, Arjuna Ardagh, Catherine Ingram, Ganga Mira, Isaac Shapiro, Madhukarji, Dolano and Andrew Cohen, who later distanced himself from Poonja. David Godman moved to Lucknow in 1992, and stayed with him till 1997, and soon became his biographer, in the following years edited and published a number of books on him, including, Papaji Interviews, an anthology of interviews, and Nothing Ever Happened, a three volume 1,200-page biography.

Nothing Ever Happened Volume 1: Papaji Biography by David Godman

The first volume of this biography covers his early years in the Punjab, his dramatic meetings with his Master, Sri Ramana Maharshi, and other spiritual luminaries, his work as a mining manager and his teaching enconters with South Indian devotees in the late 1960s.

https://www.amazon.in/Nothing-Ever-Happened-Papaji-Biography-ebook/dp/B01N6OAAKM

Nothing Ever Happened Vol. 2: Papaji Biography

https://www.amazon.in/Nothing-Ever-Happened-Vol-Biography-ebook/dp/B01NAU24C7

Nothing Ever Happened Vol. 3: Papaji Biography

https://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Ever-Happened-Vol-Biography-ebook/dp/B01MS88VAN

Focus of this third volume shifts to the stories of devotees who met him in India during the 70s and 80s. Extracts from his personal diaries are followed by Papaji's detailed explanations on how the Guru-disciple relationship works.

Ramakrishna Paramahamsa  was an Indian mystic and yogi during the 19th century. Ramakrishna was given to spiritual ecstacies from a young age, and was influenced by several religious traditions, including devotion toward the goddess Kali, Tantra, Vaishnava bhakti, and Advaita Vedanta. 

Life of Ramakrishna 

by Romain Rolland

https://www.amazon.in/Life-Ramakrishna-Romain-Rolland/dp/8185301441

Author Romain Rolland was a French dramatist, novelist, essayist, art historian and mystic who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1915. He is also noted for his correspondence with and influence on Sigmund Freud.

Swami Rama Tirtha

Rama was a brilliant student, especially in mathematics. After completing his degree, he served for a while as Professor of Mathematics in the Forman Christian College. Rama soon resigned his post and left for the forest. A few years later he returned to the plains to preach. The effect of his presence was marvelous.

Swami Rama's burning desire to spread the message of Vedanta made him leave the shores of India for Japan. After a successful visit to Tokyo, he departed for the U.S.A. He spent about a year and a half in San Francisco under the hospitality of Dr Albert Hiller. He gained a large following and started many societies, one of them being the Hermetic Brotherhood, dedicated to the study of Vedanta. 

He went back to the Himalayas and settled at Vasishtha Ashram. He gave up his body in the Ganges on 17 October, 1906, when he was only thirty-three.

The Story of Swami Rama: The Poet Monk of the Punjab

by Puran Singh

https://www.amazon.com/Story-Swami-Rama-Poet-Punjab-ebook/dp/B077S2YZML/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1529476905&sr=1-8

Goodness, all of these are from India. What about people like Thich Nat Hahn or Eckhart Tolle?