Rohit N

Playing Guitar vs Singing (One Thing = One skill ? )

18 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have narrowed down my Life purpose to music and I have always loved to sing and play guitar.

I am average at both. Though, I love and enjoy both.

Leo asks us to focus on ONE THING only. So, do we have to be very specific about it and just focus on one skill?

ie. Either I focus on singing or just focus on playing guitar?

I bought a bunch of courses and have gone through half of them. I found the right way to practice guitar and now I don't get bored practising guitar.

This was HUUGE for me , as my mind use to wander all the time and I had difficulty practising guitar. Now, I able to learn some difficult songs (as per my level) much quicker and focus way better. I was so excited , I could see the path to become a Virtuoso guitarist.

Though, I always felt like something was missing. And I realised I wanted to sing. I enjoy singing a lot , but I don't enjoy practising singing.

The problem here is - I get bored practising singing. My mind wanders off a lot and I struggle to stay focused and motivated. Then I start thinking I should focus on guitar as I don't get bored practising guitar, but I feel a part inside of me telling me to sing.

I know , I need to accept drudgery , but I am not able to find an answer to this. I found a proper way to practice guitar and can focus well on guitar practice , but cannot focus well while practising singing.

How can I choose one skill ? I have in a way accepted the drudgery to sing (at least mentally).

Should I be focusing purely on one skill? If that is true, then how to be sure?

I am going through the course second time around. Hoping to find some key insight or exercise.

Any questions, exercises or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Roh

@Rohit N There is no drudgery, you need to redo your perspective on this. That drudgery is on you brutha. It’s neg projection. Never dis the music, the music is sound. Lol 

Training yourself to sing properly involves intense ab workouts, stretching your diaphragm, and breathe control... as well as vibrationally finding your registers; chest, throat and head. This enhances the practices of meditation and breathe work like cookies go with milk. You’ll develop your breath control, focus, confidence, concentration, abs, attitude, and “talent” all with one crazy fun practice. Not to mention, you’ll soon be able to ‘move’ your awareness through each part of your body from playing and singing. And OMG Rohit, soon enough, you’ll be ‘zoning’ - ‘flowin’. Get good at both, and you’ll be doing it with zero thought. This, along with daily meditation, is a sweet little recipe for samadhi. 

Consider writing songs too, it’ll draw creativity out of you and deepen your connection to the creator you were born to be. 

Apparently, it doesn’t hurt in the ‘getting the ladies’ dept either. 

And then, further down the road, between the practicing, and the practices, every song will suddenly reveal itself to you. Songs you’ve heard a hundred times - you’ll hear for the first time. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Two book you really should read is: the talent code and talent is overrated. These two books are gold for people that want to learn a specific skill.

Some pointers from the book talent is overrated:

Deliberate Practice:

• It's designed specifically to improve performance.
  • It is designed mostly by teachers who have a body of knowledge about the field and know what is needed to progress. Also they can give you feedback. Identify certain aspects of the skill and practice them in isolation.
  • It can be repeated a lot.
  • Feedback on results is continuously available.
  • It's highly demanding mentally.
  • You can do it 4 - 5 hours tops, after that concentration deteriorates.
  • It isn't much fun.

The intensity of the practice is very important. By not putting the skill on autopilot a person is able to develop it further.

The main difference between the best and better violinist is not hours playing violin or doing violin related work, it is solo practice. Tough solo practice is also the least fun and most demanding activity. The best violinists also had a history with way more practice hours in it.

It basically says that the best guitar players and other musicians do a lot of solo practice but at the same time solo practice is the least fun. It requires heavy mental strain and stumbling through the motions. While playing a song they know and are familiar with is a fun activity it does not improve their playing ability.

As for the motivation problems with singing. Work on your vision for that, it could be that you just don't see yourself as a singer. But singing and playing guitar at the same time is a very good niche. You can do them both. 

My Life Purpose is singing and playing piano, I'm a living example that you can do both! 

Start with 10 mins daily vocal practice. Find diffrent ways you can hone your craft. Go to karaoke's, sing at home, sing with a friend, whatever - become creative. You don't have to grind all the time. 10 mins daily of deliberate practice are good for start!

Edited by Amadeusz

both things complement each other so if you're good at one you'll be better at another

@Nahm are you a singer?

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

I do both. Don't use guides to learn to sing or play the guitar. Use the higher senses, it will be no need for teachers. 

Singing in my experience, is the most powerful tool for enlightenment. 

@NoSelfSelf Ya. ❤️

2 hours ago, Quanty said:

I

Hell yes. ❤️ A thousand times Yes!

@Nahm can you help me with that tips? i want to be better but everything is abstract where to start...

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

@NoSelfSelf

An easy way to learn to sing while playing guitar is to start by humming. After a few days or whatever, singing words is more natural.

I like this guy’s stuff on YouTube. He keeps it light & fun, and he has a lot of expertise. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PFLtsTj0L9s

Search him on YouTube for more of his videos. 

I’ve learned to first understand that it’s like anything else, practice, practice, practice. The muscles in the diaphragm, throat, etc, go though changes like stretching, getting stronger, etc, and the voice gets better as you develop those things.

The simplest way would be to take singing lessons locally. 

@Nahm Thanks for you reply.

I really appreciate it. I know the challenges we need to overcome to sing well.

I am getting in the groove slowly. I try to practice for 20 mins then have some fun singing and then again practice for 20 mins.

I can't do 40 mins straight. I am slowly building my discipline. If you can give me some tips on how to practice correctly that will be great.

Though, I still feel that any musician should focus on one skill first or have one as a primary skill. I don't know any world class singer who is a Virtuoso guitarist or vice-versa. (Other than Alexi Laiho and, even his main skill is Guitar and vocals is is good but not fantastic. ). 

I am happy to be wrong and know some other musicians.

My natural inclination is towards Singing. So, I focus mostly on singing until my throat and voice gets fatigued then I focus on guitar. They both require intense focus, sometimes I get incredibly tired (mentally) when I try to do both at in the same day. 

I am making faster progress at Guitar than singing, but my natural inclination is at singing. I slowly getting in the flow, but that happens like 1 in 20 times. I can sense the magic of flow state at times. 

I have also contacted few coaches to train me online. let see how I progress.

@Rohit N Excellent on getting coaching! 

Are you stretching your diaphragm before singing? Doing the yawning / stretching the throat muscles?

On 5/6/2018 at 7:18 AM, Quanty said:

I do both. Don't use guides to learn to sing or play the guitar. Use the higher senses, it will be no need for teachers. 

That moment, once awareness is on all the instrumental components of the body, producing beautiful resonance....we realize it’s the nothing, the nothing within the air being moved which I am. Every song. Every note. ???

And it’s all nothing, and we disappear.

@Nahm

Yes, I am doing the yawning exercises. Focusing on the posture and relaxing my body while singing.

I don't know more about diaphragm exercises.

I focus mostly on Lip rolls, Pianissimo and Glottal Fry exercises.

I checked Ken out he is quite good. I already have a 2 courses with me - one from Eric Arcenaux

So, I was wondering whether I should I buy his course? I feel I should master the previous courses.

Let me work with my vocal coach and then see what I need to do.

@Quanty I strongly believe in getting coaching and guidance, we all have blindspots.

A coach can help us see them and shorten our learning curve. George Leonard in mastery is big on - First class instruction.

So, am I. If you are serious you should consider getting coaching.

True singing is breathing from the Feet Talons and vibrating there from the Pleura in the Hara, similar to laughing.