brugluiz

The truth about psychiatric drugs

31 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this thread should be started in Health, Fitness, Nutrition or in Serious Emotional Problems. Sorry if I started in the wrong place.

I'm diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder (before that, it was schizophrenia). I have already taken different types of psychiatric drugs like haloperidol, olanzapine, aripiprazole, escitalopram, fluoxetine, clomipramine and carbolitium. It was told me that if I took these medicines things would get better. The reality is when I took haloperidol (Haldol), I became a zombie. When I took olanzapine, I gained a lot of pounds and when I took aripiprazole, I still got sedated. There were many other side effects like sexual dysfunction, cognitive issues and tardive dyskinesia (a dangerous one).

Many people may still think: "But, Luiz, you've got a mental disease. You need to take your medicines."

It would be stupid if I stopped my medicines cold turkey, but there are studies suggesting that I don't need to take them for my entire life as many psychiatrists are saying. When I heard the first time about the finnish treatment Open Dialogue for people who have schizophrenia, I suspected that maybe I could treat my "disease" with no medications. The Open Dialogue approach is a kind of treatment that use no medication or minimal amount of it. There is also the Soteria model of treatment for people with mental disorder, which tends to use no medication.

I'm not entirely against medications. I think they are an important tool to use when treating someone with a mental disorder, but they are used indiscriminately by many psychiatrists, even in Brazil. When I watched this lecture by Robert Whitaker, I understood why psychiatric drugs are overrated nowadays:

As I said before, psychiatric drugs are important for the treatment of mental disorders, but psychiatrists should make it clear that medicines have many side effects and can cause a lot of health problems. In my first involuntary hospitalization, they forced medication on me and, even if I was psychotic, I think it should be respected my willing of not taking drugs.

I believe that many psychiatrists have many intere$t$ and business with Big Pharma. It's a shame we have a whole industry taking advantage of people's health.

Despite of my anger, it's okay because I'm more well informed and it open doors for me to understand how to grow spiritually and emotionally.

Thanks, I will watch it later!

Worst thing you can do in life is taking doctor medication. 

Switch to Haritaki and Colloidal Silver/Gold. 

I am sorry you had to experience those drugs :(...they truly are horrible..i am studying medicine right now and i feel torn because i know so many drugs tear your system down.  One student at my university got diagnosed with schizophrenia and he started taking drugs as well, he started getting severe acne all over his face and neck (his face was clean before) and his social behaviors/motivation has changed as well. The way they prescribe them where i live is similar, the doctor doesnt even consider your overall well-being, just says "here take this"

Clean your diet, start from the absolute base. Then build by addressing emotional issues, i suggest looking into emotional healing. Meditation practice is VERY important. Best of luck to you <3 

@Nahm when taking colloidal silver be careful that its not ionic silver. Many people sell ionic silver under the name "colloidal silver" but its not the same. Ionic doesnt really have any health benefits and its very cheap to make. I am also looking for a reliable source @Quanty that makes true colloidal :D 

@brugluiz I hear you brother, I have personal experiencing aripiprazole, it took me 2 years to shake off the side effects and function healthily afterwards. Maybe try practising mindfulness vipassana meditation then you might not need to take the meds anymore once you have controlled your mind sufficiently

@brugluiz I feel you, I am sorry you had to go through this. you're doing great!

you're so right, I did an internship at a psychiatric hospital and I was shocked about how they just filled patients with those drugs in order to keep them...well, quiet. no aiming for the root cause, just keeping them quiet and 'functional' enough to send them back home.

it felt very heartless and de-humanized, really..

@moon777light oh, do you study medicine as well? I find myself very torn and conflicted when studying lately. I study med because I have that big (constructed) life purpose of becoming a healer. but when I sit down to actually study for my exams, my intuition gives me a very bad sensation. it gives me a very bad feeling about the way modern western medicine is dealing with health. how do you put up with that inner conflict?:/

whatever arises, love that

On 5/11/2018 at 7:04 PM, phoenix666 said:

oh, do you study medicine as well? I find myself very torn and conflicted when studying lately. I study med because I have that big (constructed) life purpose of becoming a healer. but when I sit down to actually study for my exams, my intuition gives me a very bad sensation. it gives me a very bad feeling about the way modern western medicine is dealing with health. how do you put up with that inner conflict?

I dont study medicine but I know the university framework. if you want to be independent you shouldnt care about how western medicine deals with health, because you will be independent (i assume you want to be independent because of the LP). university just gives basic tools to use, actually you learn most of the real stuff after the degree. you dont have to conform to western medicine obviously, although it depends what you want to do, to treat people through some ways you have to get a bunch of permissions from the government.

also western science as far as i can tell works, of course stuff can be better but it requires a lot of work, much more than you expect. also people are unconscious, but you are not! you can contribute from a certain perspective.

CBD oil is much better option. Pharma drugs only temporarily/artificially create a false system when you stop you will crash and burn plus you are slowly killing your body from UN-natural toxic substance that has no place in the body. CBD oil or other Natural Products on the other hand actually aid in the body to self-heal and actually repair damage not replace it temporarily. Our bodies have a built in Endocannabinoid system. Why? who knows but that itself shows we are nature as one.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

On 5/11/2018 at 6:04 PM, phoenix666 said:

@moon777light oh, do you study medicine as well? I find myself very torn and conflicted when studying lately. I study med because I have that big (constructed) life purpose of becoming a healer. but when I sit down to actually study for my exams, my intuition gives me a very bad sensation. it gives me a very bad feeling about the way modern western medicine is dealing with health. how do you put up with that inner conflict?:/

hey sorry for the late reply i just saw this! Oh my goodness yes! Its so hard to study to because i feel conflicting things. Then i try to calm myself and say maybe its just because i spend too much time on this forum and watching alternative medicine videos on youtube lol. On the plus side there are some specialties that truly do not do harm to the patient such as surgery and emergency medicine. The problem is i want to heal people who have long term chronic illnesses and this is where conventional medicine often falls short. 

you're right,@Viking thanks for your input. it's definitively true that western med needs some heart. and fighting against a system is completely pointless, I know that much now. I'll just try to bring my best into it as long as I'll work in it. for now I don't plan to get independent (maybe in future, one day..) but for now I feel like I have to gather experience first ;)

don't worry, dear@moon777light  wow, I can truly relate to that. I sometimes doubt whether I've just become too open-minded, if you know what I mean.. it really is an up and down. sometimes things seem so clear to me .. and sometimes I just don't know what to believe in anymore:S you're right, in fact my goal is to do surgery, so at least it's a bit easier for me to balance my way through those clashing worlds. it's much more difficult when it comes to long term chronic diseases.. I really try to find that link between what I study for university and what I've stumbled across lately.. it's tough..

Mental illnesses are just awakening states in which the subject is lost in the mental/ego side of things. 

In other words: one is focused 2 much on the right side of the body and head. 

Start reversing this by going full throttle & hardcore attention exclusively on Breath.  

Every human being is hardwired in a certain manner from birth and surroundings. Only Breath and Plexus are the middle way.

Edited by Quanty

29 minutes ago, now is forever said:

just read that you can influence schizophrenia with folate and vitamin b12 

there are some very promising associations between schizophrenia and Vit D as well. it's so complex. so many variables, so many factors... feels like science keeps discovering more questions than answers. it's quite fascinating.. 

22 minutes ago, now is forever said:

i think even though two people have the same illness it's still always a little different, because it's always an illness of a system.

very true, it's too simplistic to compare such complex organisms like human beings and expecting them all to react the same..

24 minutes ago, now is forever said:

we have to try a lot to find what works for one.

true, individualizing therapies.. focusing more on the single person instead of the numbers and stats of the collective. that's very progressive!

I see prescription medication as an excuse to bother people.

On 5/29/2018 at 7:45 AM, now is forever said:

what do you mean by that?

can you be more precise?

The way mental hospitals are with shoving meds down people's throats. If someone doesn't want to be prescribed pills, they don't have to be.

One of the things i hear people say the most about the negative side effects of these is that they rob them of their personality and i have seen this happen with family and friends observing them since i was a child. Pretty much disconnects you from your spirit and turns you into a zombie.

B R E A T H E

@ original poster, I stopped them cold Turkey. You can do that, don´t expect it to be easy tho.

´I could have a Problem if a Problem was a Problem for me, this less than perfect life is exactly what I Need´Adam out of the movie ´Crazywise´

I think there is alot of Research to be done on the corelationship between mental illness and enlightenment.

It lies in the eyes of the perciever whether or whether not one is mentally ill. It´s partly dependent on beliefs and cultural norms. That can lead to complications. If Leo was to sit in front of a psychiatrist... Good luck! My guess would be that he would pretty certainly be diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychosis.

To all of you who aré labeled as mentally ill I can just say:

Don´t take stuff so seriously, do whatever you want. Be brave.

Keyword: Spiritual emergency(e),

Books/Authors: Stanislav Grof, Catherine G Lucas, Sean Blackwell - Bipolar or waking up?