TruthSeeker47

Am I meditating poorly?

33 posts in this topic

@TruthSeeker47 Here’s another resource, might be helpful. 

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/17747-nonduality-meditations/#comment-181291

Sit comfortably, spine straight, slight tight forward, head tilted slightly down, and alert, not comfy enough to be sleepy. ?  I’d keep with cross legged for a while. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm Thanks I'll check it out, yeah thats probably a good idea because I'm used to it

On 3/29/2018 at 11:43 AM, Leo Gura said:

For meditation to be effective, it must be done properly, rigorously. You need to pick one proper technique and master the shit out of it. Like:

• Do Nothing
  • Labeling
  • Observing the breath
  • Kriya yoga
  • Concentration
  • etc.

is mindfulness same thing as labeling?

@moon777light If you're labeling while doing it, yes.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Do you think Insight meditation can be done effectively without cultivating Concentration meditation skills? I read somewhere that people that only cultivate concentration states do not necessarily 'wake up'.

@Matt8800

Ha, I use a similar metaphor: that of an observant, patient spider, waiting for anything to *plop* into his web. 

On 29/03/2018 at 8:43 PM, Leo Gura said:

Hate to break it to ya, but you haven't been meditating. You've been doing the exact opposite, driving deeper into monkey-mind.

@Leo Gura I've only just started "meditating" on a consistent basis for the past month I've felt more awareness of my daily actions, thoughts & feelings etc but this last week I've felt a lot of anger and irritability. I meditate probably half an hour after waking up for 20 minutes when I practice do nothing technique I believe I drive deeper into monkey mind for some reason as I'm probably using this technique improperly and labelling tends to help me meditate I suppose. But this anger and irritability is especially noticeable around my girlfriend which is harsh on somebody who seems to have given me a lot over the past 2 years. 

Long story short my anger and irritability since creating a meditation habit is effecting my 2 year relationship with my girlfriend what can I do to help?

On 3/29/2018 at 8:33 AM, TruthSeeker47 said:

I have been meditating for 40 mins a day for around 4 months now but it's come to the point where it feels like more of an obligation rather than something I enjoy doing. I don't really do anything else besides sit cross legged on the floor and think about the implications of non duality, or relive memories of me as a kid. I think its good for my discipline but I also feel that I'm not really on the right path to enlightenment. Also do any of you experience pain in your back or legs after 20 - 30 mins of meditation? and if so what helps you cope with it?

No, you're doing nothing wrong - there is no wrong way, so don't worry :)

There's loads of different meditation practices, so perhaps try something different for a few weeks; mix it up?  Ever tried simply observing your thoughts, see what arises without judging them?  That's an interesting one, and one I really like.  The pain thing is very common, but try and notice the pain rather than fidgeting, but obviously if it's unbearable then change position.

There really are many people who place so many 'rights and wrongs' with meditation.  There's no rulebook, so just relax.  Also, if you feel you want a day off, then do it, you're not going to lose all that you've gained and your mind suddenly isn't going to revert back to how it was months ago :)

Relax. 

@OEN  Well that's a massive relief that it wasn't a complete waste of time, I tried the do nothing technique but I will probably have to research it more because i don't think I'm doing it the right way as i still think about my thoughts. Is it still possible to get enlightened by using a various amount of different techniques or is it better just to pick one and stick with it?

Any type of meditation is still usually better than those who don't meditate at all and rather by time on their smart phones making them dumber :P

Although i from experience i will say this. You know when you have effectively meditated when after you are done you really feel amazing and at peace, there is this electrifying calmness throughout your being that you carry on throughout the day and nothing outside of yourself can really penetrate this field of peace or upliftment (shall we say).

I believe that is when one has successfully meditated, although this may not happen all the time but gives me a good idea of an effective meditation. You could always practice being present or doing activities that keep you in the NOW or walk in nature and practice mindfulness when you struggle with meditation as those are just as effective when practiced often.

Peace & Love

B R E A T H E

@OEN Yeah, don't label and don't judge anything you are aware of during meditation. But If you perceive yourself labeling positively/negatively, restart the process.@TruthSeeker47

@TruthSeeker47 Right, yeah, it can be quite a tricky one to master (to the mind), and I was second-guessing if I was doing it right, too, but it's like anything - the more you practice, the more it'll begin to settle in.  When thoughts come up - which they undoubtedly will as you've got a mind - it's a case of seeing them - observing them - like a third person, if you will.  Not engaging with them, simply seeing them there and not attaching yourself to them, not starting a novel in your mind.  I think the easiest way (for me) to do it is not resisting anything that comes up, being very relaxed with what happens, as after all, when you get to the nitty-gritty of it, there's no good or bad thoughts, really, just thoughts :)

I couldn't tell you if other techniques will get you enlightened as I'm not enlightened, and won't be whilst I'm in this body, as there's no ceiling to it IMO, there's much more to consciousness than we realise, and we realise very little, we don't know anything if we're honest to ourselves, yet many claim to know it all :)

Try different techniques, though, yes.  Why not. 

15 hours ago, TruthSeeker47 said:

@OEN  Well that's a massive relief that it wasn't a complete waste of time, I tried the do nothing technique but I will probably have to research it more because i don't think I'm doing it the right way as i still think about my thoughts. Is it still possible to get enlightened by using a various amount of different techniques or is it better just to pick one and stick with it?

On 3/29/2018 at 8:33 AM, TruthSeeker47 said:

I have been meditating for 40 mins a day for around 4 months now but it's come to the point where it feels like more of an obligation rather than something I enjoy doing. I don't really do anything else besides sit cross legged on the floor and think about the implications of non duality, or relive memories of me as a kid. I think its good for my discipline but I also feel that I'm not really on the right path to enlightenment. Also do any of you experience pain in your back or legs after 20 - 30 mins of meditation? and if so what helps you cope with it?

No, you're doing nothing wrong - there is no wrong way, so don't worry :)

There's loads of different meditation practices, so perhaps try something different for a few weeks; mix it up?  Ever tried simply observing your thoughts, see what arises without judging them?  That's an interesting one, and one I really like.  The pain thing is very common, but try and notice the pain rather than fidgeting, but obviously if it's unbearable then change position.

There really are many people who place so many 'rights and wrongs' with meditation.  There's no rulebook, so just relax.  Also, if you feel you want a day off, then do it, you're not going to lose all that you've gained and your mind suddenly isn't going to revert back to how it was months ago :)

Relax.