Hermes Trismegistus

Is Death Another Belief ?

30 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

One of the most interesting videos, at least in my opinion was the one where Leo tackled the topic of default positions. However, my mind is still not getting the idea of death being just a position, how can the fact that one day we are all gonna die be just a belief.  Isn't death the only thing that was one hundred percent certain. How is this just another belief ? 

Would love any insight on the matter, thanks.

9 minutes ago, Hermes Trismegistus said:

Isn't death the only thing that was one hundred percent certain.

You're dead right now.

But a thought arises saying, "No, I am alive!" But eventually that thought will die.

Your belief isn't so much death, as it is life. When you believe you're alive, then the loss of that belief is literally your death.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I remember being really high once, and for the first time i got to a place where i was afraid that i didn't exist, and from that thought it was able to point me to a frightening, but at the same time during the lead up i was able to understand what was going on being that it was my intention that day to have an ego death experience. 

It's just so incredibly hard doing sober, and the only path i'v been able to find is through fear. I need to find the fear to get across it, and that's what happened. I mean the build up was an intense thing for my body and mind, and right before it subsided a voice said to me, you must not try to be better. And i was in two places at once. I could see what was going on but it felt i was a visitor from another planet, like i was going back after this life. A real frightening detachment as it means saying good bye to everything you loved. It really is nothing. 

That's just such a terrifying idea for me. Why?

Edited by MisterMan

11 minutes ago, MisterMan said:

That's just such a terrifying idea for me. Why?

You're realizing you're dead 

We are all God heads. I am God head. 

Like synapses firing through the senses.. 

Edited by MisterMan

15 hours ago, Shiva said:

You call it a "fact". Please let's look at it sincerely: How do you know you will die? Have you ever died? xD

You believe that you will die. It's not a fact. If you are really sincere, you must admit that you really don't know what's gonna happen.

Well, I kind of see what you are saying, it is correct that I do not know what is going to happen. However, Leo mentions specifically the act of dying itself. That my life will cease to exist at some moment. The evidence to this, well, is pretty much everywhere. What am I failing to grasp here? Am I immortal ? If I jump of a tall building I will not actually die ?

Edited by Hermes Trismegistus

@Hermes Trismegistus The only way to know what death is, is to die. By which I mean, become enlightened.

Psychedelics can show you this in 60 minutes.

Or you can sit on the cushion for 10 years.

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Hermes Trismegistus The only way to know what death is, is to die. Why which I mean, become enlightened.

Psychedelics can show you this in 60 minutes.

Or you can sit on the cushion for 10 years.

Eckhart Tole quoted a Zen master who responded to a student asking why he couldn't give a clear answer of what happens after death. «Aren't you a master?», he asked.

- Yes, but I'm not a dead master.

I doubt you fully understand what death is. All you know is that you're dreaming. Not how or why you dream what you dream. Or do you?

Edited by Edvard

Death is right here. You're it.

@Leo Gura sure, you could label it like that if you want to. But you can't really have death without life, that's how the word «death» came up... words are created by there being distinctions made. So to me it makes more sense to use that label when this particular dream is over, if one is gonna use it at all. 

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Death is right here. You're it.

@Edvard Have an awakening first, then let's talk.

37 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Have an awakening first, then let's talk.

this is the kind of phrase that differentiates true awakenings (heart included) from intellectual pride.

ego is so sneaky.

unborn Truth

32 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

this is the kind of phrase that differentiates true awakenings (heart included) from intellectual pride.

ego is so sneaky.

That would be your projection.

Indeed, the mind is sneaky.

@Leo Gura I don’t mind having a long process. 10 years is fine.

If I were to commit myself to this, which meditation/contemplation methods would you say are most affective on long term?

Right now I have a practice of 1 hour mindfulness with labeling meditation, and 30 min of self-inquiry every day.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@Hermes Trismegistus To clear this issue up, I know where you’re coming from. Leo’s answers indeed come from another perspective upon life that doesn’t exactly relate to yours anymore. The reason why Leo and others say that death is illusory and basically false based on the discovery that there never was anyone to die in the first place, is because this answer is given with the true self in mind, which is absolute consciousness. As consciuosness you cannot die because you were never born - that’s what’s hiding behind that paradox. You on the other hand still refer to death as “physical death” or the death of your body which is perfectly fine and valid. So, yes, your body will die at some point, that’s absolutely certain and therefore you will never live again, granted you’re identified with your body, because the real you is not your body. Your body is merely a medium through which consciousness is experienced in a limited/finite form. When Leo talks about dying, he means that that you will die who believes that he is either the observer and/or the experiencer of reality - this you will cease to exist and you will see clearly who you really are.

I hope this was somehow helpful to you and clarified things a bit.

EDIT: I appologise for saying that Leo wasn't quite able to relate to your issue, as that is probably wrong and a misinterpreted conclusion as well, but, I still think he could have explained himself a little bit better, since not everybody ultimately understands enlightenment and non-duality and what is behind all the bold statements that are being put forth by enlightened people at times. 

Edited by DocHoliday

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

Think about it this way: your body will eventually die, but you're not, because you're not the body. You think you need a body to be alive, but where does your body exist? In your consciousness.