frnsh

Question about the Free Will

21 posts in this topic

It makes sense to me that we don't have free will at all. Including the decision we make to join the path of enlightenment. 

I've got this feeling from Leo's videos that choosing this path means that we have chosen to accept that there is no free will so we can be peaceful and not at least emotionally involved with the ego's sufferings in this world and live a better, happy, actualized and successful life. But isn't this choice the result of the whole process chain behind it or is it something extraordinary which makes choosing to become enlightened different from choosing materialistic world or eat an ice cream for the rest of your life in that sense?  

The decisions were made, but nobody made them :P

22 hours ago, Emne said:

The decisions were made, but nobody made them :P

True :)

@frnsh, we are often talking about nonduality...and so there is no other.  I don't tend to speak of it as scripted and mechanical as some do and I am OK with talking about choice.  Saying you have freewill or no-freewill does not really matter...the issues arise when you only say I chose this, but I didn't choose that.  There is no other...so either you chose everything or you chose nothing.  For me, I feel more juice and life in the freewill paradigm that the no-freewill paradigm.

Edited by eputkonen

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

On 10.03.2018 at 0:29 AM, frnsh said:

But isn't this choice the result of the whole process chain behind it or is it something extraordinary which makes choosing to become enlightened different from choosing materialistic world or eat an ice cream for the rest of your life in that sense?  

The paradox of valuing enlightenment vs materialism comes from the fact that you see it as a binary choice (or non-choice in your formulation).
Your life is both materialistic and spiritual and growth occurres from your recognition of the latter and incorporation in the former (or vice versa).

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

You're a fragment of God wandering around mechanically. You do not make choices, Life does it instead. You only get to watch the play in which your character is in, that's all the power you'll get. 

Edited by Stoica Doru

Ain't it funny how men think?

They made the bomb, they are extinct.

@frnsh

There's no such thing as a will to be free or not. It's an invention of the human mind.

You only choose your destiny.

What do you think you are?  Give me a couple of paragraphs.  I need more information.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor My question was based on one of Leo's older videos when he described that we don't have a free will but there is kind of another deeper head which has a choice and we want to be and choose with that deeper self. I'm not sure now anymore if I understood that one correctly as newer videos are more related to not having free will. 

I personally believe that we don't have any free will and we are going through life and watching it as a movie. Some of us get into the path of actualization and enlightenment and some just don't. Of course we affect each other but it doesn't mean we have free will. Also infinity makes the most sense to me too. 

The fact that your thoughts tell you you have free will and make choices doesn't make it true. The funny thing is that thoughts tell you you have free will and you can think (and do), while you haven't  choosen any of they thoughts which brought you to this point. So, thoughts tell you you are something and you have free will, but there is only thinking. And the thinker is made up by the thinking. And without somebody who is thinking, there is no free will. There is simply nobody home, or there to have this free will. 

you have a free will as long as you choose to believe it. when you drop that belief, free will dissolves right after?

Free Will Do exists and don't exist at the same time,

So do you, and don't you.

Free will Do not exist because you have this 4 dimensional path that you will experience.

Free will DO EXIST because there is infinite paths to take and each one you "CHOOSE" could happen.

You are free to take the path you want

All infinite paths coexists at the same time, its all written, but there are infinite possibilites, so you can "choose"

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

@frnsh Extraordinary. 

You mean believing in infinity and not having free will?  

5 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@frnsh no. I was answering your question in your op.

Thank you for the answer. But doesn't it mean that making a choice to get to this path is out of free will as it is not as the result of the process anymore? 

I still don't believe that it would be out of free will in any case. Just that some people choose to become enlightened, they start reducing self deception points and get closer to their goal. Doesn't mean they actually get free will. 

@frnsh There’s no objective reality. There’s you. If you’re contemplating the duality of free will or no free will, then you’re in duality (thought), holding an unnoticed assumption that there is something other than you to impose ‘Free will’ upon. That there is anything in addition to you, is your own illusion. Just because you see from a head and feel a body does not mean this is what you are. There’s no choice or not to get to the path, this is the default situation because you’re God, having a human experience which includes a veil of knowing you’re God. You’re God doing this, intentionally, on purpose. Free will is very funny because it’s the same as a rock. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

35 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@frnsh There’s no objective reality. There’s you. If you’re contemplating the duality of free will or no free will, then you’re in duality (thought), holding an unnoticed assumption that there is something other than you to impose ‘Free will’ upon. That there is anything in addition to you, is your own illusion. Just because you see from a head and feel a body does not mean this is what you are. There’s no choice or not to get to the path, this is the default situation because you’re God, having a human experience which includes a veil of knowing you’re God. You’re God doing this, intentionally, on purpose. Free will is very funny because it’s the same as a rock. 

True. I got confused about it here many times. I guess it's one of those things that needs to be experienced rather than discussed.