Joseph Maynor

What's So Great About Osho, And Give Me Sample If You Can

22 posts in this topic

I just today saw some stuff he has written. Seems pretty sound the couple posts I saw on some topics on here. His observations on experience are spot on. Also from what I’ve seen on the nature of meditation the way he approaches it is, if one understands the nature of thought and the thinker is spot on as well. 

I just read a few things though so. Im not one to look to others so much. But so far pretty good.

If you like tolle you shouldn’t have much a problem with Osho though 

23 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

This was a post by @Shanmugam

Anand Buddha, God is not an experience. No experience as such is spiritual; all experiences are mind games. Beware of it. Whatsoever can be seen will be part of the illusory world. The seer is the truth, not the seen. You can see auras and you can see angels and you can see kundalini rising and you can see inner lights — but they are all seen. They are not you.

The seer is the witness, and only the witness is the truth. All else is a dream. And there are worldly dreams and there are other-worldly dreams; there are materialistic dreams and there are spiritualistic dreams. One thing has to be remembered always, that whatsoever is seen is worthless — even if it is God. The God that is seen is worthless.

When all experiences disappear and you are left utterly alone, nothing to see, only emptiness in the hands, no experience at all, then suddenly you realize yourself. Then you turn upon yourself, then you fall into your source. And that is not an experience, it is a realization. That is the difference between the words “experience” and “realization”. It is not that you have seen something, experienced something. Now you know who you are.

The great Sufi mystic Maghrebi says,

Don’t speak to us of visions and miracles, for we have long ago transcended such things.

We saw them all to be illusion and dreams, and dauntlessly we passed beyond them.

Anand Buddha, you will meet many people here who will go on playing these games. They are simply wasting their time. Avoid their company. I am going to attract all kinds of people, and particularly the people who are interested in spiritualism. They will bring all their diseases here. They will talk nonsense — they will talk about miracles, psychic experiences. And naturally, when somebody talks about such things, you start feeling as if you are missing. You are not missing a thing, because he is only dreaming.

But he can create this feeling in you, that you are lacking something, that your growth is not going well, that you are not growing as fast as you should grow. He will create in you the feeling of inferiority, and that is dangerous. Once you start feeling inferior you become sad, depressed, you carry a heavy weight on your chest; and that will become a hindrance in your growth.

And every possibility is there that if you desire you will start seeing these things. Desire creates dreams. If you start thinking that you are missing, soon your mind will project. The mind is always ready to give you anything that you desire, and particularly such things. If you desire money it will be difficult because it is not only a question of your own mind. If you desire to become the president of a country it may not be easy because there may be much competition. But if you want to see auras there is no competition, and nobody can hinder you, and you are not taking somebody else’s auras; you are creating your own. It is a private, idiotic world. This is the meaning of the word “idiot”: it means having a private world of one’s own experiences which do not collaborate with reality.

I know a few people are here; they enjoy a kind of leadership because they can gather a few people around themselves. They start talking about esoteric things. And whenever somebody talks about esoteric things, hidden truths that you are not aware of, he enjoys being a knower and he reduces you to an ignorant person. It hurts. Soon you will also start talking and reading such nonsense books, and they are available in abundance.

Here, you are not to be with me to see auras, or to see lights, or to see kundalini energy rising, or the chakras opening. I am trying to hammer this truth into your heart continuously, that the only thing worth attaining is enlightenment, is nirvana, is the realization of who you are. Everything else has to be bypassed. And these things come on the way.

The mind tries to allure you to the very end. It gives beautiful psychedelic experiences, very colorful, enchanting. One can get stuck with them. LSD is nothing. If you go on working on your being you will find far deeper, far profounder-appearing experiences happening to you which no LSD can release.

And then the desire is to cling to them, and that very desire keeps you away from the ultimate truth. For the ultimate truth, everything has to be sacrificed, all so-called spiritual experiences, esoteric knowledge, miracles. Everything has to be dropped. One has to come to the ultimate experience — which is not an experience….

Language is inadequate to express it; that’s why it is called an “experience”. It is not an experience, because in experience there is a division of the experiencer and the experienced, and in this experience, the ultimate, there is no division. You are the knower, you are the known, you are the seer, you are the seen, you are the experiencer, you are the experienced — only you are.

That absolute, still point of pure existence, that is the goal. All else has to be sacrificed for it. Beware of such things.

- The Secret - 14

27 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Meditation Is Non-doing

When people come to me and they ask, "How to meditate?" I tell them, "There is no need to ask how to meditate, just ask how to remain unoccupied. Meditation happens spontaneously. Just ask how to remain unoccupied, that's all. That's the whole trick of meditation - how to remain unoccupied. Then you cannot do anything. The meditation will flower.

When you are not doing anything the energy moves towards the center, it settles down towards the center. When you are doing something the energy moves out. Doing is a way of moving out. Non-doing is a way of moving in. Occupation is an escape. You can read the Bible, you can make it an occupation. There is no difference between religious occupation and secular occupation: all occupations are occupations, and they help you to cling outside your being. They are excuses to remain outside.

Man is ignorant and blind, and he wants to remain ignorant and blind, because to come inwards looks like entering a chaos. And it is so; inside you have created a chaos. You have to encounter it and go through it. Courage is needed - courage to be oneself, and courage to move inwards. I have not come across a greater courage than that - the courage to be meditative.

But people who are engaged outside - with worldly things or nonworldly things, but occupied all the same, they think ....and they have created a rumor around it, they have their own philosophers. They say that if you are introvert you are somehow morbid, something is wrong with you. And they are in the majority. If you meditate, if you sit silently, they will joke about you: "What are you doing? - gazing at your navel? What are you doing? - opening the third eye? Where are you going? Are you morbid?...because what is there to do inside? There is nothing inside."

Inside doesn't exist for the majority of people, only the outside exists. And just the opposite is the case - only inside is real; outside is nothing but a dream. But they call introverts morbid, they call meditators morbid. In the West they think that the East is little morbid. What is the point of sitting alone and looking inwards? What are you going to get there? There is nothing.

David Hume, one of the great British philosophers, tried once... because he was studying the Upanishads and they go on saying: Go in, go in, go in - that is their only message. So he tried it. He closed his eyes one day - a totally secular man, very logical, empirical, but not meditative at all - he closed his eyes and he said, "It is so boring! It is a boredom to look in. Thoughts move, sometimes a few emotions, and they go on racing in the mind, and you go on looking at them - what is the point of it? It is useless. It has no utility."

And this is the understanding of many people. Hume's standpoint is that of the majority: What are going to get inside? There is darkness, thoughts floating here and there. What will you do? What will come out of it? If Hume had waited a little longer - and that is difficult for such people - if he had been a little more patient, by and by thought disappear, emotions subside. But if it had happened to him he would have said, "That is even worse, because emptiness comes. At least first there were thoughts, something to be occupied with, to look at, to think about. Now even thoughts have disappeared; only emptiness....What to do with emptiness? It is absolutely useless."

But if he had waited a little more, then darkness also disappears. It is just like when you come from the hot sun and you enter your house: everything looks dark because your eyes need a little attunement. They are fixed on the hot sun outside; comparatively, your house looks dark. You cannot see, you feel as if it is night. But you wait, you sit, you rest in a chair, and after few seconds the eyes get attuned. Now it is not dark, a little more light........You rest for an hour, and everything is light, there is no darkness at all.

If Hume had waited a little longer, then darkness also disappears. Because you have lived in the hot sun outside for many lives your eyes have become fixed, they have lost flexibility. They need tuning. When one comes inside the house it takes a little while, a little time, a patience. Don't be in a hurry.

In haste nobody can come to know himself. It is a very very deep awaiting. Infinite patience is needed. By and by darkness disappears. There comes a light with no source There is no flame in it, no lamp is burning, no sun is there. A light, just like it is morning: the night has disappeared, and the sun has not risen.... Or in the evening - the twilight, when the sun has set and night has not yet descended. That's why Hindus call their prayer time sandhya. Sandhya means twilight, light without any source.

When you move inwards you will come to the light without any source. In that light, for the first time you start understanding yourself, who you are, because you are that light. You are that twilight, that sandhya, that pure clarity, that perception, where the observer and the observed disappear, and only the light remains.

It’s not about the speaker, communicator anyway. It’s about what is communicated. 

He doesn’t get to detailed on this but it’s a beginning and something to look into.

next would be to investigate if what is said is so. 

Edited by Faceless

@Joseph Maynor

im sure you know I’m picky about gurus/teachers but so far I don’t see a any red flags. But then again I haven’t seen much yet. 

he was enlightened and I respect him,

I consider his lucidity the greatest of Osho

made a song time ago (newbie skills)

laughed a lot doing this

i would like to read what @Leo Gura thinks about Osho ?¡

Edited by Vingger

One’s center is not one’s center, it is the center of the whole. 

And the ego-center is one’s center.

That is the only difference, but that is a vast difference.- 

2 hours ago, Faceless said:

@Joseph Maynor

im sure you know I’m picky about gurus/teachers but so far I don’t see a any red flags. But then again I haven’t seen much yet. 

Me too.  The only two famous ones that resonate with me so far are Adyashanti and Ekhardt Tolle.  All the others that I've explored don't quite rise to that level.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

11 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Me too.  The only two famous ones that resonate with me so far are Adyashanti and Ekhardt Tolle.  All the others that I've explored don't quite rise to that level.

I read you. I watched some tolle after you showed me that vid. Thing I like about him is he really emphasizes attention to thought in daily life. And because I have gone into thought/the self fairly deep it’s really simple to put what he says together because I have systematically approached thought already. 

From what I seen tolle scratches the surface on thought/self as far as detail. But like I said it’s the attention to yourself within the day that really gets one started and determines freedom from thought patterns. 

I think he knows the detail but he’s just not going to reach the general public with that. 

Edited by Faceless

7 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Osho's approach was different and unconventional. But by that approach, he was able to make more people open to him. 

I am just including what I posted in another thread:

I was exposed to very deep teachings when I was too young. And I totally misunderstood them, until I came across Osho's books when I was about 18 or 19 years old. And he indeed was a genius. He was also probably the only teacher who has created different impressions about him on different people. One group would think of him as a dangerous, fraudulent cult leader who was as evil as devil. Another group would think of him as the greatest spiritual guru of this century. In fact, if a person reads a random page from a random book of Osho for the first time, it is very much possible that he would put that book down and hate him for the rest of his life. 

But after reading Osho, everything that I had learnt before made perfect sense to me. And three years after reading Osho, everything that I read from Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta Maharaj, Eckhart Tolle and many others made perfect sense to me as well.

And let me tell you what Osho did and how he taught. During his initial years, he talked about Jesus; Christians gathered around him and became his disciples. He talked about Krishna; Vaishnavas became his disciples. He talked about sufis; many muslims became his disciples. He talked about yoga; and many people who were inclined towards yoga became his disciples. He did that for every tradition for many years. Then suddenly one day he stopped giving public talks.

So much illegal things happened during two years when he was in public silence. Many people committed crimes and many people left. After two years he started to talk again. And his talks were so different this time. Do you know what he said?

He said that he couldn't talk directly to people because each person was conditioned according to his own tradition. Nobody listened when he started to talk the first time. So, he went their way and started talking about their traditions. People were attracted. Once he found enough people to pass his teachings to next generation, he wanted to get rid of unwanted people. So, he went silent for two years. Many people left as he expected. He then started criticizing about everyone, including Jesus, Krishna and even Buddha. It is a trick again. But this time no one left! And he could teach them directly and bluntly. This way, he appealed to many people and he also busted many myths. I will talk more about him when I find time. 

The only way to show my gratitude towards Osho is to keep passing the light he gave me. He saved me from suicide and I want his vision to come true.

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

Osho and eckhart tolle tell really profound things that are really great true though the question how each of us apply it.. for me it wasn't that easy just from listening to them to actually apply it .. I recommend you check this free trial program to give you answers for yourself Only if you are struggling getting the results you want at: https://mentorself.com

@Joseph Maynor His beautiful hands.. just look at them and you got all the wisdom and truth right there, without one single word! 

Speaking of WORDS..

..Osho stated over and over and OVER again that there were no truths to his words. His words were there for you to listening to what's between them. 

Here's a famous quote from the "all cores are one core-series", spring 1976

"Truth is only in the silence between my words, but you won't listening to that unless I give you words, that's the ONLY reason I spoke to you. My words have no truth to them per se. You will laugh at me when you find out. That's my goal here, to get you to the place where you laugh hysterically at me for the nonsense I speak"

You see what he meant by that Joseph? 

Edited by MarkusSweden

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

folder.jpg

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Is there any particular reason why Osho was chased by all the secret services of the world?

I mean none of any other enlightened masters had so much troubles with power groups.

Even Jesus only had problems with his local government.

While Osho had problems with the whole world. Why? Don't tell me it's just because he had some orgy or poisoned someone or had plans to poison president or he is so crazy and bald and said radical things. That's just not convincing enough reason to be problem for secret services. There should be something about his teachings or his ideological inclinations that is different than from other teachers and that were either too good, dangerous and true or too evil, dangerous and misleading.  

Edited by Monkey-man

3 minutes ago, Monkey-man said:

Is there any particular reason why Osho was chased by all the secret services of the world?

I mean none of any other enlightened masters had so much troubles with power groups.

Even Jesus only had problems with his local government.

While Osho had problems with the whole world. Why? Don't tell me it's just because he had some orgy or poisoned someone or he is so crazy and bald and said radical things. There should be something about his teachings or his ideological inclinations that is different than from other teachers and that were either too good, dangerous and true or too evil, dangerous and misleading.  

Because he harshly criticized politicians and religions.. He was very critical of church and pope. He criticized Ronald Reagan very openly. So, obviously government and churches were very angry on him.

Also, a lot of crimes were committed by Osho's sannyasins when Osho was in public silence for two years. One of the greatest bioterror attacks in the US was committed by a handful of his power hungry disciples and Osho was held responsible for that. :)

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

@Monkey-man Enlightenment is a powerful thing. It's almost too powerful. 

You can't be enlightened and just live! You are simple not allowed to do that. 

Societies dissolve in the light of truth, joy, laughter and love. 

Osho never worked on developing mediocre traits in order to be enough harmless for the world. 

Tolle worked on his whole physical appearance in order to let it shine with mediocrity. The world won't harm that body no matter how much truths that come out of its mouth. 

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

@Shanmugam

Ya that's already big things but still I think there's something more coz it doesn't seem to be sufficient reasons to be chased so much, maybe he was member of illuminati or groups like that or something in this realm :D 

3 hours ago, Shanmugam said:

Because he harshly criticized politicians and religions.. He was very critical of church and pope. He criticized Ronald Reagan very openly. So, obviously government and churches were very angry on him.

Also, a lot of crimes were committed by Osho's sannyasins when Osho was in public silence for two years. One of the greatest bioterror attacks in the US was committed by a handful of his power hungry disciples and Osho was held responsible for that. :)

This is why I it’s important to not petestualize anyone, and stress that to who ever you are sharing with. It’s not a teaching from the guru to the student. It’s a teaching where ‘teacher’ and th student’ are in a process of together.