Tony Tellez

Music

14 posts in this topic

So whenever I feel down I listen to my favorite band Linkin Park and try to get a little bit of wisdom to make myself feel better, do you think that’s a low consciousness activity to do? 

@Tony Tellez

Listening to music can be good. Linkin Park, not so much. 

Everything you consume is having an impact on you. Ask yourself: do you want to be like the kind of person they portray in their music? Angry? Hopeless? Numb?

Not at all, you're favorite band has a life purpose and that is to provide solace for you. You should receive their gift if it is what cheers you up the most but make sure it's not something that rules your life and it does not cause you to neglect others or chores that are important. 

Is it 10 minutes of escape or many hours of nothing but listening to the same songs over and over?

1 minute ago, aurum said:

@Tony Tellez

Everything you consume is having an impact on you. Ask yourself: do you want to be like the kind of person they portray in their music? Angry? Hopeless? Numb?

Linkin Park is this guys favorite band. That is all that matters to him. I watched and loved the movie A Serbian Film but I have no desire to be like any of those characters. 

Also the every man tends to find solace in knowing a multi million selling band still has all the same problem the fans do. They may not hit me the same way as "Working Class Hero" but they are still a valid source of joy, escape and inspiration.  

@aurum Listening to music can be good. Linkin Park, not so much. 

You can't say that, everyone has their own paths/perspectives.

B R E A T H E

8 minutes ago, pluto said:

You can't say that, everyone has their own paths/perspectives

Everyone has their own path/perspective, so he wrote : Listening to music can be good. Linkin Park, not so much.

26 minutes ago, Metody said:

Everyone has their own path/perspective, so he wrote : Listening to music can be good. Linkin Park, not so much.

There was no need.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@Tony Tellez I realized those days I was kind of depressed and was coincidently listening to sad songs, not sad but “ugly” lyrics, so I shifted to some uplifting music, “happy” lyrics, it made all the difference.

I also have a question for you guys: people do affirmations to change their subconscious mind or mantras etc, if we keep singing/ listening sad songs or with bad stuff, how this mantra (aka Music) is gonna impact ourselves? Our minds etc.. 

I like Linkin Park too, but I’ve decided to listen to Pink Floyd now ? Tool and Anathema are good ones too IMO

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

@Tony Tellez I like linkin park. My general attitude towards negative feelings is to feel them as much as I can, avoiding to cover and suppress them with activities. For example, if I feel sad because someone told me something that I didn't like, I don't go watch tv or eat something. I sit down and meditate on the feeling, I put all my attention on it. Music doesn't come to my mind when I feel bad, but maybe it can be used to make a particular emotion come out fully. Maybe if you feel like crying, but you struggle to express that feeling completely, a sad song will help you to cry and release that emotion. It may work because you're not avoiding that emotion, but you're experiencing it fully.

I think is generally a good idea to not be completely dependent on music as a coping strategy when it comes to emotions.

Thank you guys for the replies!!! Yea maybe I should listen to more motivational songs, right now my role model for music selection is Martin Garrix, he sucks as a dj but a great music producer lol

Music is an amazing tool for lifting spirits

I love to listen to rap music with lots of swearing and violence because their mastery with spoken word motivates me to improve myself

Music is awesome!

Sad music, happy music, angry music

All of them are tools that can be used to get yourself into the moment when you are feeling down/lazy/unmotivated

Listen to music and enjoy it fully!

(be mindful of the effect music has on you and make the decision whether it is helping or not)

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

I don't think it's good to get all hung up on the entire "music has to be motivational/contain positive affirmations" thingy. In my experience the relationship is far from that linear.

For example, last night I listened to the two most recent Mount Eerie albums for the first time. The music is super depressing, with minimal instrumentation and the lyrics deal with his day to day life after his wife died from cancer at 37, leaving him alone with their one year old baby.

Sounds like some real low vibrational third eye calcifying stuff doesn't it? But on the contrary, my interest in listening to it seemed to pull me to it because there was something to learn there. Something about all the gray bleakness and how attractive it was to me made me realize how much I was forgetting to appriciate the mundane parts of life more, and showed me exatly that mundane feeling which I was avoiding. (Besides just being an amazing emotional journey that made me cry a bit at times.)

Experinces might differ though, maybe music has terrible effects on some people and amazing effects on others. As been said earlier in the thread I think it's just up to being mindful and see how it affects you.

On 1/3/2018 at 5:07 PM, aurum said:

@Tony Tellez

You’re judging Linkin Park here with the qualities you project onto them.

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

I have gone from sad and depressing music to, in my opinion, psychedelic music/ambient music to.... I don’t know how to describe my current favorite genres.

I noticed during the first ones that I always felt incredibly down and sad. This was before I found Actualized.org, so I didn’t have my basic self-help recourses. 

The psychedelic/ambient phase calmed my mind a lot. I felt like floating in space and so even strengthened my believe in becoming an astronaut one day. At some point I decided to listen to Redbone - Come and Get Your Love and I felt pretty damn good. Together with Ima Robot - Greenback Boogie and I feel happy and motivated to make something of my future! 

I highly recommend switching it up to some really happy songs from time to time or transition from sad to ambient to happy (not necessary these 3, make up your own order if you want to). Whatever suits you best. I have 0 experience listening to Linkin Park so I cannot really tell you much about it.

Peace