momo

Enlightenment And Mental Illness

13 posts in this topic

should I seek enlightenment and self-inquiry when dealing with mental illnesses like ocd ,adhd,ptsd etc or I should treat them first then seek enlightenment ?

@momo OCD, ADHD, and PTSD are labels that unenlightened people created for things they do not understand. What they are is thinking. Repetitive thinking of thoughts that someone doesn't want to be thinking in the first place - a grosse lack of focus. 

Three birds one stone....increasing focus (meditation) and increasing awareness (meditation) and grounding one's self in the calmness and stillness of Now (meditation) should do the trick.

One must practice everyday to allow the momentum of the troubling thoughts to be fully surrendered. Without those thoughts, there is no problem. It's hard to go from over thinking, to non-thinking. Non-thinking is the opposite of OCD, ADHA, and PTSD. Meditation is the way. How many days of morning meditation will it take? It's relative to the momentum of the troublesome thoughts / patterns. Will it work for sure, yes. 

It is also very helpful to remove all negative catalysts from ones's awareness; tv, news, violent games, aggressive people, etc. None of these are helping. 

Replace these things with the most positive things; Abraham Hicks, Tony Robbins, (anyone on YouTube who is pouring out the positivity), music you love, hobbies you like / love, positive & kind people, feel good movies.

And don't take anything seriously. It's supposed to be fun. 

Edited by Nahm

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm I know but it's easier said than done, try telling this to a person who washes his hands over 200 times aday ;)

4 hours ago, momo said:

should I seek enlightenment and self-inquiry when dealing with mental illnesses like ocd ,adhd,ptsd etc or I should treat them first then seek enlightenment ?

Those can be cured by consistent mindfulness practices and training your mind to be present and still. Meditation is a great way to tame the wild horse that is the mind.

@momo

the rule of thumb is: if you are taking things too seriously, lighten things up. >> it is supposed to be fun 8) 

You've done the first and most important step - you're showing interest in turning inwards or at least interested in helping yourself.

Perhaps become ocd about following your breath. Train yourself to transfer all your attention on breathing whenever you're near or on an episode or any time really. 

I'm not an expert, but in my mind, if your mind is busy noticing the breath (which is also a type of meditation btw), it won't have the possibility to maintain the other patterns and they will dissolve by themselves with practice. 

I myself am ocd about breath you can say, but I think it's a good thing to compulsively breathe ? Breath is a tool we all have. Use it to drown the distractions. 

Lastly, be more interested in finding out who is having these experiences rather than placing your attention on the experiences completely. Do not be hard on yourself. 

Edited by Dodo

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

Enlightenment kills neuroses.   I had a lot more neuroses before I got deep into enlightenment.  The question is whether you can learn this stuff.  If you can, you might get rid of a lot of your problems.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Heal yourself

Meditate

Laugh

Love

Pray

Relax

Detach

And lastly

Don't search for the absolute perfect solution. Even  that is a part of your OCD

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

The truth will set you free.

9 hours ago, momo said:

Find the truth behind all your fears which has manifested into ocd, etc. In facing those fears, and finding your truth about them, will not only demythicize your ocd, etc, it will also contribute to your enlightenment.

If you have a mental issue seeking professional help and then dealing pragmaticaly with those issues should be your #1priority. Don't fall into the trap of spiritual bypassing, telling yourself that some spiritual practice will magically solve all your problems.

Remember, there are munks who have spent decades striving to achieve enlightent, meditating for houres a day, without getting further than stream entry or second path. Don't gamble your mental health on being able to reach high levels of enlightenment. 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

15 hours ago, Loreena said:

Pray

Pray to who ? 

2 minutes ago, momo said:

Pray to who ? 

pray to the mystery of what you really are. pray to embrace the willpower to heal yourself.

you don't need to pray with standard words. you just need to cultivate moments of profound sincerity. get in touch with your heart and study your own anguish.

don't use labels given by others. find the root cause of your emotional pain and illuminate it with consciousness. it's not easy nor is it painless. but there's no other way and nobody can do it for you.

unborn Truth

@momo I suffered from OCD. So you don't have to tell me how bad it is Momo. You don't have to tell me how bad it is. I know how bad it is. I took Wellbutrin, Paxil, Zoloft and maxult. I know how bad it is. I was 60 pounds overweight with zero, fucking ZERO sex drive. You don't need to tell me how bad it is. I drove my dad to the hospital while he had 94 seizures in the car, that he induced from a life time of stress & beliefs.  I sat with him for days at the hospital. I didn't eat some days. I held my moms hand while she weighed 92 pounds and told me she was dying, now. While she told me what I should do with my life because she didn't with hers. You don't need to tell me how bad it is Momo. My brother weighs 320 lbs, and he thinks I'm lucky. He thinks meditation and well being are bullshit concepts of mine, because I'm lucky. You don't need to tell me how bad it is. I've had enough of how bad it is. 

What you need to do, is fucking listen to me and everyone else and everything else when we are telling you, how good it is. 

"All is well" - what does that mean to you?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE