Ariel

Should I Take Notes On Leo's Videos?

10 posts in this topic

I was scrolling through Leo's videos and I thougth that maybe I should take some notes. Maybe I should summerize the points I take from each video I watch (and rewatch if needed). The point is to remember it better, understand it better and refresh my memory later instead of watching the full video again.

What do you think of this idea? Do you do this? Should I do this? Or maybe I should just watch the videos comfortably (taking notes and stopping the video all the time is pretty tiring). I could just watch the videos and do the exercises, but should I take notes?

Taking notes seems like an obvious thing. You don't want to watch 60 minutes of material every time you need to revise something. Notes are much faster to read.

And the more you revise, the better you remember the content, so watching video once and then reading the notes few times is in my opinion more beneficial than watching a video twice, while in both cases it takes the same amount of time.

But, as Christian said: You should do whatever the fuck you want.

I have a book full of notes.. Sometimes I take notes, sometimes I don't. It depends on if I feel I have a firm understanding of what is being said or if it's an entirely new concept that I need to remind myself of if necessary. It's up to you, but I love being able to re-read information when I'm not using electronics! :)

*(It can also be a physical documentation of your individual journey.)

i think it will definitely have an advantage(and maybe save some time) if you will use it for a long time maybe have a notebook only for actualized notes to keep it organize 

Ye that's a good idea! I do it too, except for his more rambly type videos, like the one about happiness in succesful people. 

That can be an exception.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

I take notes and I find it incredibly helpful -- you can revise and remind yourself about the ideas.

Yeah, it might seem tidious and time-consuming while you're writing them, but when you think about it, if you're gonna watch 1 video per week and with the amount and depth of content, it's not really practical to try to keep it all inside your head. It's just too much information and rewatching videos is rather time-consuming.

It's better to take notes, I sometimes notice stuff that I just don't hear or just not understand clearly. It's time consuming but just do 1 hour every day until you finish that video. It takes me 3 hours/days to finish 1 video. I have a notebook with inner work filled with insights and contemplation insights. I started writing 10 ideas every day starting 2017 and I just filled a notebook completely. It amazes me to read some stuff from January. I don't do it digital because I just feel I don't like to write in a computer or read from them. 

Notes are beneficial.

1. Better understanding. It's only possible to summarize things in your own words when you understand them well so this is a good idea.

2. Better remembering. With better understanding comes better remembering. You can remember the last sentence well because you derive meaning from it but if I just said wjfndiw ieihfn djiehf fncmcu slqmlp, you won't remember it. 

3. You can take time to be aware of how it factors in your life specifically. You can understand things in theory but to take time to be aware of how it applies in your long term and daily life too? That's harder.

4. You can organize how you can apply each idea. 

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

@Ariel I always take notes, not so much for re-reading them again, but simply because it takes time to write my notes. While I am writing them I am pondering on what it is I find important, The time spent doing this helps to imprint this into my mind.

Also, after a long while, it maybe beneficial to replay the video.

Have you ever re-read a book, after a long break, and find that you are discovering things in that book you did not notice during your first read? If so, its because in the meantime you have learnt stuff and grown from it. So when you re-read the book you are reading it with a new mind and attitude.